More tinkering with search!?!?

More wait and see how this will affect sales. Not entirely sure how the shipping plays into this new search. A bit more of an explanation below in last link.

"eBay now makes assumptions about individual buyer's inclinations around price to determine which listings it shows them when they search its marketplace for products."

"Previously, when users searched for a product on eBay, the Best Match algorithm would show the exact same results, irrespective of the individual needs," Shreya Raval wrote on a blog post on Tuesday. "We introduced the price propensity feature in search ranking to customize the search results based on a user's price preference."

"eBay now makes assumptions about individual buyer's inclinations around price to determine which listings it shows them when they search its marketplace for products."

"Previously, when users searched for a product on eBay, the Best Match algorithm would show the exact same results, irrespective of the individual needs," Shreya Raval wrote on a blog post on Tuesday. "We introduced the price propensity feature in search ranking to customize the search results based on a user's price preference."

From Techebayinc: eBay Makes Search More Efficient Through Personalization - June 23, 2020

https://tech.ebayinc.com/product/ebay-makes-search-more-efficient-through-personalization/

-Lotz

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Not sure abouth that "exact same" claim.

It's been my observation that if I Search for something, then do another Search, I get different items.

I think someone decided that if the first Search (of the 140 million items listed) doesn't show what I want, eBay will show me different stuff.

So if it's of any interest, I have to put it on my Watch List to hold it until I decide to delete it.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

This also explains in a sense why I get notified about price drops for items that have been off my watch list for weeks and weeks. I used to think it was a glitch, but I think the algorithm will send notification if you have previously showed an interest in a product. Much the same way now that eBay knows your search and spending history, they know can "massage" the results.

However, I have noticed that if I use best match and limit price range, as opposed low to high or high to low with a price range, I get different results.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply