Multiple Tax Tables?

I have a tax table question.

I will soon begin collecting GST/HST because I will no longer be a small supplier.  I understand that I can setup a tax table so that buyers will pay the appropriate amount of sales tax depending on their province of residence.  (13% in Ontario, 5% in Alberta, etc).

My questions is, some of my sales include books (which are only subject to the federal GST in any province). For books sales, I should be charging 5% in Ontario and all other provinces.  If my tax table is set to Ontario = 13%, I will be overcharging the buyer.

I realize I have the option to not charge any tax on books and swallow the subsquent tax remitted as a cost of doing business, but I would at least like to know my options on how to collect the correct amount of tax at the time of sale.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has knowledge on this issue.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Multiple Tax Tables?

It's been a very long time since I've dealt with this issue so thing may have changed.

But first, to be clear, there is no way on eBay to do what you want, items are either taxable or not, there is no way to have variable rates.

Not sure if it still works this way but books at one time in Ontario worked on a rebate system, 13% HST would be charged by the merchant and then an 8% instant rebate would be applied. I suppose you could still do that by issuing a partial refund post-payment.

Personally I only have one or two book titles for sale, rarely do they sell to Canadian buyers but when they do they get hit with the full whack of HST. Keep in mind that only a few provinces have HST (primarily Ontario) so the amount of sales where this issue comes up is quite limited for most sellers.

If a buyer were to question the amount of Sales Tax charged for a book purchase, I'd be happy to refund them the overage but I've never had anyone complain (a very small sample size).

Maybe an actual book seller will chime in on this............

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply