NOT AS DESCRIBED DISPUTES AFTER POSITIVE FEEDBACK RECEIVED

WHAT CAN  A  SELLER DO  TO  PROTECT  HIMSELF  FROM   A  CASE  WHERE  I  SOLD  AN  ITEM  UNDER  THE  HEADING  OF  FOR  PARTS  OR  BUYER  RESTORATION  .  THE  BUYER  RECEIVES  THE  ITEM  AND  LEAVES  ME  A  POSITIVE  FEEDBACK  SAYING  ITEM  ARRIVED  AND  ALL AS  DESCRIBED .

THEN  APRX. 20  DAYS  LATER  THE  SAME  BUYER  FILES  A  NOT  AS  DESCRIBED  DISPUTE  SAYING  THE  ITEM  ARRIVED  WITH  A  MISSING  KNOB  WHEN  I  KNOW  THAT  I  SHIPPED  IT AS  IT  WAS  SHOWN .

EBAY  SAYS  THAT   EVEN  THOUGH  I  RECEIVED  POSITIVE  FEEDBACK  FROM  THE  SAME  BUYER  FOR  THIS  SALE  I STILL  HAVE  TO  ACCEPT  A  RETURN AND  PAY  FOR  THE  RETURN  SHIPPING . IT  WILL PROBABLY  COME  BACK  WITH  MISSING  PARTS , THEN  WHAT ? 

HAS  ANYBODY  EXPERIENCED  THE  SAME  ? 

WHAT  CAN  ONE  DO  TO  PROTECT  HIMSELF  FROM  SUCH   HAPPENINGS .

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Weigh all your stuff and have picture of it on scale . Dispute the return when you get it.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

what good will that do you ? i spoke to an e bay rep and they say it won't matter , if it comes back with missing parts it still will not help me because e bay says it probably won't make any difference .
for me the real problem is E BAY and their staff and worst of all their policies , when it comes to seller protection , which is non existing to begin with .
most of them if not all they could not care less on a good day and most of the time they do not know what they are talking about , i found that they make up rules as they go along or every one of them has different interpretation of the rules.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You're gonna hate this answer.

Cookie Jar Insurance.

The cost, financial and emotional, of fighting these scams is too high.

What you* do is add a small amount to EVERY selling price as a self-insurance premium against the occasional dispute.

Then use those dimes in your virtual Cookie Jar to pay for return shipping, damage in shipping, slow or non-delivery. 

When you respond quickly to a Dispute**, your selling account is not hurt by the mere fact of a reported problem that has been resolved.

FWIW, eBay does seem to keep track of members who are involved in "too many" disputes, even resolved ones.

We see this from posts on dotCOM where buyers complain that they are not allowed to use the Money-Back Guarantee program any more.

Whatever you get back might still be saleable, so there is that.

High risk means high risk as well as high rewards.

*And I do. For a different reason. Most of my products are shipped without tracking because they are low value. I use CJI to protect myself against the rare claim.

** And most Disputes are honest disagreements, not scams.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

what is CJI ?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@filamenthead wrote:
what is CJI ?

Cookie Jar Insurance  -- setting aside some money with every sale to deal with problems as they occur, rather than paying someone else to insure your shipment. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I am sure there is something in writing, somewhere , that you can do a partial refund after receiving the item back, and it is not in it's original condition as shipped..

Message 7 of 7
latest reply