Need help with shipping to Eorope, Britain,etc

Hi folks

It's my first time posting in the forum and I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some help. I've noticed some of my competitors are offering shipping to Europe, Britain, and Australia. We sell glass tiles. The boxes are quite large. For example a typical box could weigh around 35 lbs and is 17" x 16"x 7" in size. Definitely not shipping t-shirts at these weights.

My competirors shipping rates on comparable weights are around $35 - $40.00. 

If anyone could offer some direction it would be appreciated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Found this as well. I'm sure they have to be eating some of the cost just to make the intl rate seem reasonable for the buyer.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

You said that you are able to go to the U.S. and ship from there. In that case, you could use the global shipping program for specific countries....not Canada of course. You would have to ship your items from a location in the U.S. to the gsp center in Kentucky.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Based on 50% feedback, they are selling around 18,000 widgets a month. The last twelve months they are at 112,000 FB, making sales close to a quarter million widgets for a year.

Still doesn't make any sense.
Photobucket
Message 23 of 30
latest reply

I'm going to look into it. Luckily being in Vancouver has some benefits with the border only a stones throw away. We often send mail across the border into WA State to take advantage of lower rates.

Cheers

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

"Larger ones they are charging 1/3 to 1/4 quarter of what USPS is showing. That makes no sense. "

Actually it does make sense.  That is where GSP works for overseas buyers and American sellers.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

I quickly read some reviews on the global program. It seems like customers buying lower valued items get frustrated with it as the import costs are just too high relative to the item value. Perhaps it works with higher ticketed items!

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

"It seems like customers buying lower valued items get frustrated with it as the import costs are just too high relative to the item value."

That program is meant to help American sellers sell outside the USA.

It does not work well with most Canadian buyers because we are used to import from the USA regularly and understand the system.  Also, as we all know, often Canada Customs does not bother to charge tax and let Canada Post deliver parcels without collecting fees and taxes.  The problem is compounded by many American sellers not using the program properly.  eBay advises not to use GSP for items valued under $50.  Yet you will find that the majority of listings from American sellers to Canadians are valued at less than $50.

However, in your case, things are different.  The biggest advantage of GSP is the ability to consolidate shipments to a destination (country) at a much lower shipping cost that individual sellers would otherwise pay.  It works great for heavy items where USPS shipping costs would be high.

Quite frankly there is no solution to that problem from your perspective. The program is only available to American sellers shipping from the USA.  For more information on the program: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Take a look at:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gray-Mix-Mosaic-Tile-for-Bathroom-Kitchen-Backsplash-22-sq-feet-case-/4006654...

A case of 22 sq ft is heavy!

Yet, using GSP from the USA to the UK the shipping is only US$ 29.92.  This is where Pitney Bowes excel.

How can a Canadian compete?

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

In the above example, it should be noted that the American seller offers "free shipping" within the USA. 

So the US$29.92 shipping charge is from Kentucky (eBay distribution centre) to the UK by Priority (whatever that means).

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hard to beat that price though!

Wooh

Message 30 of 30
latest reply