New Auction Promo by invitation April 26 to May 5

List up to 500 auction-style listings for FREE!Start Date *End DateList auction-style, plus add BIN for free. Excludes 1-day and 3-day listing durations. Learn More - List up to 500 auction-style listings for FREE!- opens in new window or tab

26-Apr-2019 11:21:07 AM to 5-May-2019 11:59:59 PM

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for posting......

I'll take it but I have to say, based on previous experience a Fixed Price promo would generate a lot more revenue for me and for eBay.

FYI - Only got it on one of my selling id's.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'll take 500 free listings anytime! However, I do much prefer fixed price for most of my items, but due to the upcoming  mandatory GTC for fixed price, I have taken to listing more items at auction... Here's hoping that 7 day auctions work out as well for me as 10 day fixed price.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You can also list at auction for 10 days. And if you add the BIN, it's *almost* like a Fixed Price listing. slight_smile

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I'll take it but I have to say, based on previous experience a Fixed Price promo would generate a lot more revenue for me and for eBay.

Makes sense.

An auction could be listed twice for a maximum of 17 days (7 day listing + 10 day renewal).

A Fixed Price BIN could be listed twice for a maximum of 37 days (7 day + 30 day renewal).

So a promo BIN gets more than double the selling exposure time that an auction would get.

-..-

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

yes indeed, but some items work better with 7 day auctions, some will do OK with a duration of 10 days. However, many of my items do not lend themselves well to adding the buy it now option as I either have to significantly lower the start price or have a very unreasonable buy it now option. I try to work things out as best as possible...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

You can also list at auction for 10 days. And if you add the BIN, it's *almost* like a Fixed Price listing. slight_smile

With the after-it's-over gotcha if you have a store on that ID -- stores after the promo is over get charged for that BIN if it is not removed before relisting. Non store ID's get the auction BIN for free, so do not need to worry.

-..-

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@recped wrote:

Makes sense.

An auction could be listed twice for a maximum of 17 days (7 day listing + 10 day renewal).

A Fixed Price BIN could be listed twice for a maximum of 37 days (7 day + 30 day renewal).

So a promo BIN gets more than double the selling exposure time that an auction would get.

-..-

It's not the duration it's the format.......

I've run tests, 500 Auctions, 1% sell-thru (at best), the same 500 (well 495 the same) listed as Fixed Price 5% sell-thru at worst) and most of those came within the 7 - 10 days.

I've tried this type of comparison several times, the results are always very similar.

My buyers son't want to watch & wait, they see something they want, they buy it.

Unfortunately the 30% BIN requirement for Auctions means it's useless to me (although I agree with that policy in principle).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yeah the 30% rule kind of kills it for me too. I've only used auction style a few times and have always been underwhelmed. I'll try some cheaper items like toys that I don't really care about and see how they do. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Since as long i could remember the 500/1000 free listings were to be used for auction OR BIN but this time it is for auction style only. Probably my fault but i did not see it and thought it was for both and listed 320 listings in BIN and then to realise it was for auction only. It will cost me $120

of fees, probably another way for Ebay to make more money. They probably calculated that many would do the same i did. The phrasing of the title, if you read it fast, has the words free, auction-style and free BIN. Anyway, sure i am not the only one they catched. Sad.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The promos I have received over the past few years have been a mix - some for fixed price, some for auction with buy it now option, some for either auction with buy it now option OR fixed price. I  always thoroughly read & re-read the promo before listing...

I see no problem with reading the title of the current promo: List auction-style, plus add BIN for free. Excludes 1-day and 3-day listing durations.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I am sorry you made the error and thought it was for Fixed Price BIN listing when it was for auctions with free BIN.

I learned a long time ago when free promos started coming out so often years ago that you read and reread the promos details to make sure that you understand the rules for that promo. Never quickly read and assume things. I got burned a couple of times to know to be careful. And I always checked the fees charged when bulk resisting because most tools will show the amount to be charged. Sometimes the fees to be charged was confusing so I would  list a couple of items  and then check the actual fees charged in Account fees.

But I also read these forums regularly to get a heads up on promos when posted here. The member posting and replies would give you warnings if there was something to watch out for.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply