New PAD agreement

dougalco
Community Member

Why would anyone agree to let eBay debit from their bank account whenever and whatewver they want . This is INSANE! Do you agree with me? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

New PAD agreement

You are using Managed Payments.... based on  the payment options in your listing..

I would highly recommend that you go to the ... Help & Contact ...  wording at the upper left corner of an eBay page  and search for Managed Payments.

Read... Read.. Read  and ...Learn ... what can happen...  and will happen... and only this will happen....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

marnotom!
Community Member
I get my chequing account debited automatically for Hydro payments, monthly car and house insurance payments, RRSP contributions, and property tax pre-payments. Seems to be working fine so far.

I guess there was that one hiccup when there was some compromising of account information for student loan recipients, but I didn’t lose anything out of the deal and thanks to a little class action, I got a small amount of compensation for the inconvenience of getting a new chequing account.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

Nope - don't agree ,cause that is exactly what we have been doing with PayPal all along, so I don't really see much difference. Etsy is the same way.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

dougalco
Community Member

I am glad to see that you are all so trusting of eBay. Have you read the agreement? Regular utility payments are different, and I do not remember any such agreement with PayPal. They are basically saying they can debit your account without any pre-notification and if they make a mistake, well you can complain and try to get it refunded. IOt does nto give me a warm feeling. 

Dougal

"You have authorized us to debit the above account monthly for variable payments and/or from time to time for one-time or sporadic payments. Regular monthly payments will be debited to the above account on your scheduled payment date starting in the month following the month in which you entered into the PAD Agreement.

You agree to waive all pre-notification requirements under the Payments Canada rules in respect of any monthly variable debits. eBay will notify you by email regarding any one-time or sporadic debits in order to obtain your authorization."

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

" eBay will notify you by email regarding any one-time or sporadic debits in order to obtain your authorization."

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

The PayPal PAD Agreement is probably the same, I'm not going to waste my time comparing them but almost all of these types of legal agreements are essentially the same.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/pad-tnc?locale.x=en_CA

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

rnzmda
Community Member

Paypal: We are required to obtain authorization from you for each sporadic PAD.

Ebay: You agree to waive all pre-notification requirements under the Payments Canada rules in respect of any monthly variable debits. eBay will notify you by email regarding any one-time or sporadic debits...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

Easy solution - simply just decline the user agreement. 

Don't like it, don't use it. Done! 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

New PAD agreement

byto253
Community Member

As has been stated, Paypal had similar requirements.   It can be easily mitigated with a dedicated Ebay bank account and transfer out funds from that account to another so that your balance is at a bare minimum.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply