New buyer payment didn't go through on paypal. Need advice on what to do.

I had a new buyer with 0 feedback that purchased an item and payment was on hold pending clearance by paypal. 3 days later I get notification from paypal that payment didn't go through and not to ship until its paid.

Sent buyer an email on what their intention were regarding this and its almost 30 hours now and no response. 

Do I file a non-paying bidders claim? What can I do? Haven't had this problem before. And do I need to wait an extra 4 days to relist this item. Doesn't help when you don't hear from the buyer.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Since you have not heard back from the buyer, open a payment-not-received case.

Relist when the case is closed.

Add buyer ID to your blocked buyer list.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer?id=4082

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you. Its a seasonal item and that's why I was asking on waiting an additional 4 days.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

... Its a seasonal item and that's why I was asking on waiting an additional 4 days.

The reason you wait, is because Buyers often do cough up the money when an unpaid case is opened against them.  But if you are willing to take the risk of selling the item twice (with a cancellation penalty for 1 of the sales), you could relist.  Just make sure the original buyer is blocked from buying a second time.

-..-

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

and payment was on hold pending clearance by paypal.

He only has a bank account attached to his PP account.

In effect, he wrote you a cheque.  An e-cheque.

And it bounced.

If he asks for help, tell him to attach a credit card to his PP account and then the payment will go through instantly to you, and he can pay off the card at his leisure.

You are stuck with waiting the four days from purchase to open the Unpaid Item Dispute and another four days (96 hours to the minute) before you can close it, give him an Unpaid Item Strike, and relist.

Although this e-cheque seems to have bounced, we also see angry buyers who use e-cheque payments but who don't understand that while their bank took the money out of the account immediately, it did not get to Paypal for three or four days.  That can be fraught-- but the seller still should not ship until the payment has cleared.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks. I will wait it out. Its only 3 days now as I filed a NPB claim yesterday as you suggested.
Maybe they should lower the waiting period. 4 days to file a claim and another 4 days to close the case.
Waste of time if they had no intention of purchasing the item. Why even bother. It happens a lot. With new buyers though sometimes you give it time as they could be having problems with the paypal set up but at least let the seller know if that's the case. Not a word on this one.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I understand he wrote an e-cheque. The payment didn't go through as I got notified by paypal. I then contacted the buyer 2 days ago now. Still no contact.

Waste of time if they had no intention of following through on their purchase. Because its a newbie you give some leeway cause there could be problems with setting up a paypal account but with no contact I can't do much of anything except file an NPB claim and wait it out.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply