New seller getting ripped off, told buyers arent recieving their item.

Hello there,

I have been on Ebay for 6 months and find the people at Ebay are very delightful to deal with. I like calling them they are patient and helpful. I have however had a string of scammers buying my sports cards sadly. I had a bunch sell in a short time and was busy with life, no excuse I guess, so I just threw oversized stamps took pictures of the parcels and sent them off. The lower priced cards found their homes without fault but 3 days in a row I've received claims of not receiving cards that are 90$ and up. One was a Quinn Hughes PSA 9, one was a Marcel Dionne Rookie and one was a KSA 9 Gretzky 2nd year all star. I just a week prior refunded a 200$ Ozzie Smith. I am a little concerned about this I have read forums and apparently it's very common. I send the card via letter mail and the buyer says the package doesn't arrive he gets a refund. I didn't know this would happen very commonly as I figured theft would be very rare. In my experience I have had 5 buyers attempt this on me in a short time. All cards were sent without tracking and all over 90$ CAD in value. One person after I called them and pleaded told Ebay their account was hacked and left me a bad review so they came clean in a way that was a very early sale I should have learned. 1 person admitted they got their card and scolded me to track all parcels. I will make that change now but I'm sad about this experience. I actually cried a little but recently because I sent this beautiful Gretzky KSA 9 worth 250 to a seemingly nice gentleman in Ontario and he filed a return the minute he was able to saying he didn't receive the card. I spoke with him on the phone and asked for more time 10 days? He ghosted me on Ebay and I knew right then he's after a theft of my card and my money/time shipping selling advertising. I know I am new and should suck it up here but I just wanted to voice this concern. I think Ebay is really really fun and cool and I appreciate the people behind the scenes especially. I almost wish this wasn't happening and people were good to eachother I almost can't accept it still. Well I learned a 700$ lesson here. If your reading this learn from my mistake track your parcels to avoid theft.

Good luck to everybody and thank you for all the good people on here it certainly not all bad at all. I know I've made mistakes and need to correct them now.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@checksports wrote:
Hello there,

I have been on Ebay for 6 months and find the people at Ebay are very delightful to deal with. I like calling them they are patient and helpful. I have however had a string of scammers buying my sports cards sadly. I had a bunch sell in a short time and was busy with life, no excuse I guess, so I just threw oversized stamps took pictures of the parcels and sent them off. The lower priced cards found their homes without fault but 3 days in a row I've received claims of not receiving cards that are 90$ and up. One was a Quinn Hughes PSA 9, one was a Marcel Dionne Rookie and one was a KSA 9 Gretzky 2nd year all star. I just a week prior refunded a 200$ Ozzie Smith. I am a little concerned about this I have read forums and apparently it's very common. I send the card via letter mail and the buyer says the package doesn't arrive he gets a refund. I didn't know this would happen very commonly as I figured theft would be very rare. In my experience I have had 5 buyers attempt this on me in a short time. All cards were sent without tracking and all over 90$ CAD in value. One person after I called them and pleaded told Ebay their account was hacked and left me a bad review so they came clean in a way that was a very early sale I should have learned. 1 person admitted they got their card and scolded me to track all parcels. I will make that change now but I'm sad about this experience. I actually cried a little but recently because I sent this beautiful Gretzky KSA 9 worth 250 to a seemingly nice gentleman in Ontario and he filed a return the minute he was able to saying he didn't receive the card. I spoke with him on the phone and asked for more time 10 days? He ghosted me on Ebay and I knew right then he's after a theft of my card and my money/time shipping selling advertising. I know I am new and should suck it up here but I just wanted to voice this concern. I think Ebay is really really fun and cool and I appreciate the people behind the scenes especially. I almost wish this wasn't happening and people were good to eachother I almost can't accept it still. Well I learned a 700$ lesson here. If your reading this learn from my mistake track your parcels to avoid theft.

Good luck to everybody and thank you for all the good people on here it certainly not all bad at all. I know I've made mistakes and need to correct them now.

Quick friendly suggestion. Whenever selling higher value hard to find  cards definitely consider shipping with tracked secure services. Best for your own personal piece of mind.

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@checksports wrote:
Hello there,

Quick friendly suggestion. Whenever selling higher value hard to find  cards definitely consider shipping with tracked secure services. Best for your own personal piece of mind.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

As you say, for expensive stuff always send tracked.

Untracked is useful for small value items. You just have to figure what your loss comfort level is for your sales. Some items are at a higher risk of attracting scammers.

It would be nice if ebay allowed Sellers the ability to block Buyers that had too many Item-Not-Received claims or at the very least let the Seller know if the Buyer was having INR problems.

Too many claims might be a scam buyer, or might be buyer with legit delivery problems. For either reason, tracking would be a must.  On the other hand, it could just be a buyer who has the bad judgement to buy from crooked sellers (in which case, tracking would be the way to reassure the buyer they weren't going to get burnt again).

-;-

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yes for sure tracking is is the answer now it is important. The suggestion sellers scamming is hard for me to belive. Short term maybe a seller could get a few sales but they will get the boot and no sales after even a few bad reviews they are done for. I am also a buyer and I have only had one issue so far and it was probably a mistake as well. I find the sellers are very, very good but that's just my experience to this point. I had an account years ago but just was buying stuff not selling. My thing is for sure for sure I am getting scammed the expensive cards dont just so happen to go missing only. I also read on a forum people bragging about scamming sellers which to me is disgraceful and there is an article with a poll 5% of people reading it say they scam. I don't think anybody selling on Ebay has Amazon kind of money so that's brutal. Like I was saying it's not all bad though just the accepted answer is to track, my mistake. That would be so awesome if sellers could limit the amount of sales to buyers who have put claims to get refunds I think it could be quite high.

Another suggestion would be to set up a few sellers to track parcels without giving tracking information and catch buyers claiming non receipts but the post office puts different labels maybe that's impossible.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

There is a chitchats express at  3200 Westwood St #102 , Port Coquitlam.  You can send tracked items of under a 100 grams to the US for around $5.25 CDN.   Just be sure to click on the thick envelope option, as regular envelope will provide regular untracked mail as an option.

With Chitchats you buy USPS postage and they bring it across the border and it gets shipped as domestic US mail.  I use it for a lot of light items. 

Often their prices for shipping inside Canada are very good as well.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Free shipping + standard shipping as option, buyer can't know if it's tracked or not. Or remove 10 to 20$ to your BIN price and put as shipping cost, standard shipping always, then buyers will think it's tracked and it should affraid most scammers

I don't understand why it's not talked anywhere. But to me the economy shipping option is a problem, you have a sticker on your head wrote ''you can scam me!'' when you use this

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Another suggestion would be to set up a few sellers to track parcels without giving tracking information and catch buyers claiming non receipts but the post office puts different labels maybe that's impossible.

Those of us who use stamps rather than printed labels are unconciously doing just that.

Most of my shipments go with untracked LetterMail. The very very few extremely rare times those go amiss (less than one percent annually) are just stamped and dropped in a mailbox.

But with more valuable, or bulkier, items I move to tracked Parcel rates.

Still using stamps, but having the PO add a label at the counter covering the difference in shipping cost between the actual and my applied postage.

Then in theory when I get home I add the tracking number to my Orders page.

But sometimes I forget so the customer doesn't know the item is tracked.

This does not seem to raise the percentage of claims.

but the post office puts different labels maybe that's impossible.

The PO does not change the sender's tracking label. Why would they?
They may add their own to a parcel from overseas.

I think I remember one claim several years ago, where a disputed package showed delivery and I had not recorded it on shipment with eBay. I won that one by providing Proof of Delivery.

And of course there are reports that from time to time USPS will mistake a bookkeeping barcode, like those used on Small Packet USA, for a tracking barcode. The existance of that barcode may also protect against scams, but never count on it.

Most people are honest.

Most "lost in mail" is really just slow delivery.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Free shipping + standard shipping as option, buyer can't know if it's tracked or not. Or remove 10 to 20$ to your BIN price and put as shipping cost, standard shipping always, then buyers will think it's tracked and it should affraid most scammers

I don't understand why it's not talked anywhere. But to me the economy shipping option is a problem, you have a sticker on your head wrote ''you can scam me!'' when you use this

You can use a tracked service at your discretion with Free Shipping. Just means in most cases the seller is building it in their price. Then they choose the service based on what the buyer paid(0r value of item). Really depends how comfortable a seller is with using untracked vs tracked. Tracked...Update the system when you ship and buyer will know how it was sent. Generic services does leave leave a buyer guessing. 

-Lotz

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You can use a tracked service at your discretion with Free Shipping

Yes i know this is exactly what i meant. If a scammer can't know if it's tracked or lettermail, he'll pass his way, cause he can't premeditate a INR. Scammers are looking for lettermail shipping

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thanks I will do just that I am very receptive to any advice I knew I was messing here that makes perfect sense. Lots of great responses thanks to everybody on here!
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Right on my man that sounds very promising! Somebody also inboxed me to set up a business account to save on the cost of tracked shipping with Canada Post but definitely they can't match the deal you sent me, thank you I appreciate it.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I think its a sports card thing there maybe a problem with the sports card buyers from my experience, collecting since I was a kid, the 99.9% are super honest wouldn't steal and you could trust with your cards everyday of the week but there is a small percent just straight out looking to steal. It's not the biggest community as you might think though I meet a lot of the same people and word gets around quite quickly if somebody is dishonest. Even local grading company's kind of know who the scammers are it's crazy.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

the 99.9% are super honest wouldn't steal and you could trust with your cards everyday of the week but there is a small percent just straight out looking to steal.

Every category has its own demographic of customers.

There is a "criminal" demographic of males/ 15-35 who are more likely to get into serious legal trouble than females of the same age.

And if your product appeals to that group, your chances of being scammed rise from one percent (?) to 5%(?).

By outside observation only, I would include horse tack, dolls (particularly "reborn babies"), watches, and designer purses. Possibly fine jewelry too.

So it isn't just the boys.

And of course, electronics which are highly fenceable.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the response those are very logical insights. I hope it's not actually 5% maybe some are joking with those responses. Anyways I hope things get better I made a bunch of my posts free shipping and will make adjustments definitely tracking. It's too bad it's this way moving forward I hope to get a much better account with Ebay and I will say the happiest is when somebody really appreciates your item that's the best part. The scammers take that away because some of my cards I don't want to sell to just anybody I want somebody who will appreciate it as well. Anyways thanks again and best of luck moving forward I hope you make a boat load of sales and make good connections 🙂
Message 14 of 14
latest reply