New to selling coins on ebay...any suggestions?

I apologize firstly, if my query is been asked a 1000+ times.

I had to retire early(heart issues) and needed to supplement my income,and seeing as I had collected coins for over 40 years...here I am.

As I have yet to have any customers, popular e-bay advice was to put less desirable coins on - CHECK!

Use the auction setting,and set at .99 cents -CHECK!

If you're familiar with prices for X,Y and Z coins, my prices are quite respectable,but not only no bids,but no traffic - isn't the WHOLE point of e-bay is to generate traffic?

Cheers

William

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Titles are what hooks a person to look closer at a listing. So include info that may grab their attention. Titles are also used for the search engines, so include the words that people may searching for. You have 80 characters for the title.

- indicate the number of coins as part of the title for your coin lots (which I see you have done with some listings).

uncleaned roman coin lot large bronzes

might be something like: 25 roman coins large bronzes, Claudius, Constans

Description -- for the roman coins indicate size, "large" is meaningless for non-collectors who may be interested in picking up a gift.

Make sure the images match up with the title.

Canadian coin lot 10 coins has images of 13 coins

You could also include the date range covered as part of the title.

The category that listing should be in is

Coins & Paper Money > Coins: Canada > Canadian Coin Collections & Lots

If possible use the advanced list form (the simplified listing form has a link near the top).

Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business membership is recommended (you don't need to be a "business" to have the membership). Gives you some small discounts when shipping parcels. Also allows you to use Expedited parcel in Canada (same as regular, but with $100 free insurance, and has a delivery guarantee or money refunded).

Consider using eBay's calculated shipping rather than flat rate shipping, however that does require knowing roughly the size and weight of the package.

Consider letting buyers know in the description that you are willing to combine shipping for multiple purchases.  If you have a buyer already interested in one of your items, they may be interested in other items you have if they can "save" on shipping.

Good luck.

-..-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@berhan-71 

From eBay help. The highlighted part does not seem to be followed to the letter by "some" sellers or by eBay.

Stamps, currency, and coins policy overview

To help ensure buyer confidence in the stamps, currency, and coins listed on eBay, we've established a set of guidelines for our sellers to follow. These guidelines cover what can and can't be sold on eBay, and the requirements for certain listings.

• Most countries strictly prohibit the sale of counterfeit currency and stamps as well as equipment designed to make them. These types of items can't be listed on eBay
  • We allow listings for replica stamps and paper money as long as you follow the policy guidelines
  • Replica coins aren't allowed. All other stamps, coins, and paper money must be accurately described
  • Replica, plated, or clad bullion isn't allowed
  • Coin and paper currency listings can only mention a grade in the title or listing when that grade has been given by an approved grading company
  • Coin and paper currency listings over a certain value must be graded by an approved grading company

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/stamps-currency-coins-policy?id=4337&s...

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm not sure of the reason for this reply,as it does NOT address my concerns. I had been coin collecting for 44 years - I had bought all my coins at reputable coin shows and auctions

Goldberg, Colosseum coin Exchange, Heritage, Sothebys ...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much for that advice. I was planning on adding extras free of charge... just to get started, and depending on what they ultimately would sell for.... obviously at .99 cents I would not add any bonus coins -as I'm already taking a loss. re saying 10,but having more. My eyes are not what they used to be - age has caught up to me 🙂

William

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@berhan-71 wrote:

Use the auction setting,and set at .99 cents -CHECK!

In my opinion starting auctions at .99 cents is not a good strategy.

A far better approach would be to set the starting price a little below fair market value. Additionally add the Buy It Now option to most auctions unless the item is a very desirable one likely to attract a lot of interest.

Ebay's policy is that an auction's BIN price must be at least 30% higher than the auction's starting price, with this in mind most will set the start price a little below fair market value (but not ridiculously low )  so that the minimum allowable BIN price comes out somewhere near or slightly above fair market value.

The key benefit of adding the BIN option is that many more potential buyers should see your item in their search results. I'm sure the percentages vary by category but there is a large percentage of buyers who ignore auctions, that group generally seems willing to pay more for the convenience of being able to find it, like it and buy it right away. A lot of auction buyers on the other hand are looking for extreme bargains just waiting to pounce on .99 cent auctions that have gone unnoticed. 

Edited to add that adding BIN to auctions is free for those who don't have stores.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Do not start auctions at 99 cents unless you are willing to sell them for 99 cents.

Auctions are a dying part of the platform. Less than 15% of listings are Auctions and most of those include the Buy It Now option.

Many 'auctioneers' are surprised to find their auctions sell immediately at the higher BIN price rather than the (possibly lower) auction price.

The 21st century customer wants immediate gratification and no surprises.

That means:

• Fixed Price listings so they know what they will pay
  • Clear shipping prices
  • Many photos and scans
  • Expertisations and certification if possible
  • Rapid shipping

Remember that unlike the bourses and shows where you bought your collection, your customer is relying on words and pictures.

When I sell stamps (on another ID) I can comfortably ship without tracking.

Don't do that for coins.

If the customer demands cheaper untracked shipping, he is out to scam you.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Here is the Canada Post website.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

When you use Calculated Shipping these are the prices your customer will see.

Your actual cost may differ. You may get a discount on some services with your Small Business number and as mentioned the very useful Expedited service is only available with the number. You can get it at any PO or online.

I'm not sure of the reason for this reply,as it does NOT address my concerns.

It's the stuff you don't know that you don't know that will kill you.

The Advanced Sell Your Item form can be found by looking for a link at the top right hand corner of the awful Simplified form you were defaulted into.

• Among other expensive defaults of the overSimplified form, it will automatically add Best Offer to your listings, and then automatically accept any offers. Don't use it.
  • Bet you didn't know you should ask about that.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply