Newcoming seeking advice on mailing from Canada to U.S.

Hello, I'm completely new to this and would really appreciate any advice. 

I've listed items that are collectibles: magazine-sized sports programmes that were in my grandfather's belongings. I opened up the bidding to U.S. buyers to broaden the market (and that's where the highest bids are coming from) but I've never mailed anything to the U.S. other than greeting cards. 

I said I would do free shipping to Canada and the US because that seems simpler than charging shipping, which I've never done. 

They would go in magazine-sized envelopes. 

I'm trying to keep it simple but don't want to spend more on shipping than I'm getting for the item!

Questions:

Is any service better than any other? I think Canada Post is most convenient, especially as I have a disability that limits my travel.  

I'm going to use the tracking system, but I don't know if I should insure them or not: some of them might be worth $200 (!!!)  Does Canada Post do that? 

Do I have to pay any kind of customs fee or taxes when I ship? Should I declare the value to the buyer (who might pay a lot because it's a collectible) or the value to the average person (who would throw it in the recycling bin?) I'm scrupulously honest but that stumps me a bit: it's different from a gift that I know the value of because I paid for it. 

Thanks very much!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your magazines could probably be mailed at Letter rates. If each shipment weighed 499grams, the maximum for Canada would be $5.47 and for the USA would be $11.14.

Most magazines would weigh less and cost less.

BUT

Letter post does not included tracking, which is one of the few Seller Protections we have.

On the other hand, your buyer is likely to be an older guy, feeling nostalgic and a pretty easy going person.

The protection you get from tracking is the ability to disprove a false Not Received Dispute.

And in that category those are likely to be rare.

So using tracking is as much an emotional decision as an economic one.

Tracked packages-- well within Canada you could Register* a Letter rate item for $9.75 plus the postage.

And you can use this to work out the cost of sending by Regular Parcel within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

I hope you were sitting down when you read that.

You can ship to the USA (still under 500gr) for $20.10.  (cheapest tracked packet is $14.42 for a mere 100gr.)

I'm going to use the tracking system, but I don't know if I should insure them or not: some of them might be worth $200 (!!!) Does Canada Post do that?

Canada Post does insure. It's not all that great if you have to claim and not really all that useful since the postal system is very good at its job. 

Very generally, here's my advice.

Start with the ones that have the lowest values. Better to mess up a low value sale than a high value one. And you will mess up once or twice. There is a learning curve.

Do I have to pay any kind of customs fee or taxes when I ship?

No. Duty and sales taxes are paid by the buyer/importer.

Should I declare the value to the buyer (who might pay a lot because it's a collectible) or the value to the average person (who would throw it in the recycling bin?)

The value is what the buyer paid for it. Nothing more or less.

The shipping label will ask you for the contents of the package (automatic if you buy it through Paypal) .

There is a Harmonized Sales Code now which is international - magazines are 4902.90

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

US residents have an $800US duty free allowance. I hope some of your sales are high enough to make the customer pay duty!

*Registration stops tracking at the border. Don't use it internationally.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Your magazines could probably be mailed at Letter rates. If each shipment weighed 499grams, the maximum for Canada would be $5.47 and for the USA would be $11.14.

Most magazines would weigh less and cost less.

BUT

Letter post does not included tracking, which is one of the few Seller Protections we have.

On the other hand, your buyer is likely to be an older guy, feeling nostalgic and a pretty easy going person.

The protection you get from tracking is the ability to disprove a false Not Received Dispute.

And in that category those are likely to be rare.

So using tracking is as much an emotional decision as an economic one.

Tracked packages-- well within Canada you could Register* a Letter rate item for $9.75 plus the postage.

And you can use this to work out the cost of sending by Regular Parcel within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

I hope you were sitting down when you read that.

You can ship to the USA (still under 500gr) for $20.10.  (cheapest tracked packet is $14.42 for a mere 100gr.)

I'm going to use the tracking system, but I don't know if I should insure them or not: some of them might be worth $200 (!!!) Does Canada Post do that?

Canada Post does insure. It's not all that great if you have to claim and not really all that useful since the postal system is very good at its job. 

Very generally, here's my advice.

Start with the ones that have the lowest values. Better to mess up a low value sale than a high value one. And you will mess up once or twice. There is a learning curve.

Do I have to pay any kind of customs fee or taxes when I ship?

No. Duty and sales taxes are paid by the buyer/importer.

Should I declare the value to the buyer (who might pay a lot because it's a collectible) or the value to the average person (who would throw it in the recycling bin?)

The value is what the buyer paid for it. Nothing more or less.

The shipping label will ask you for the contents of the package (automatic if you buy it through Paypal) .

There is a Harmonized Sales Code now which is international - magazines are 4902.90

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

US residents have an $800US duty free allowance. I hope some of your sales are high enough to make the customer pay duty!

*Registration stops tracking at the border. Don't use it internationally.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Here's a summary of rates from @zee-chan . It will only be good until January 2021 when rates rise again.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2020-Canada-Post-unofficial-rates-chart-under-2kg/m-p/43...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you very much! That's very helpful1
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply