No USA exposure on E Bay .CA ?????

Hi I had/have a booming Ebay.com store averaging 8K a month in sales. With managed payments I can no longer list on .com as I do not have an American EIN or SSI #. So I opened up an ebay.ca store. Very disappointing. Anything I list on .ca  cannot be seen on .com . I have had US friends check for me as well as looking myself. The few products I listed are getting no views...except for me looking at them . I put up one rare high dollar part as a test....it would have had 500 views on .com pretty much zero views on .ca. Even on facebook it had 1200 hits the first couple of days. I really see no point in selling on .ca when 90 % of my sales are to the USA...5% International and 5% to Canada. Also Ebay.ca has no provisions for shipping with UPS....my main carrier of product. Canada Post is not an option....do not have time to line up prefer a company like UPS that picks up. Super frustrating ...anyone have any ideas ?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@nationalmopartscanada 

That was discussed during the May/June Q & A regarding managed payments. Visibility was stated as staying the same if you included shipping to the country in question. If you didn't add countries reduced visibility. There was an addendum that as more countries were added to MP visibility would improve to those countries. At the time it didn't make complete sense. Makes even less sense now. All I know, for my sales shortly before MP was implemented my sales volumes/dollars tanked. Is everyone out of money? Change in shipping methods because of reported delays. Who knows. 

-Lotz

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I know it was brought up a few times but this discussion covers it from several different angles. Unfortunately does little to ease the confusion. Read with caution or just take with a grain of salt.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Managed-payments-and-International-US-visibility/m-p/443...

-Lotz

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

My thought is Lotz has hit on your problem.

Your listings allow buyers outside of Canada to purchase but  you've not provided them with a valid International shipping service. I realize you are aware of this, the note highlighted in red font in your listing descriptions makes this clear. 

I suspect your .ca listings are not appearing in searche for this reason; there is not an International shipping service selected in the listings' setup.  

There are a couple of potential remedies to the problem; one would be to get rid of that red "Please enter a valid zip code" error currently being generated for U.S. residents by switching the shipping setup from "Calculated" to "Flat Rate"

Pick out one of your .ca listings, change the International shipping setup to flat rate then create a custom rate for just the USA, make it plenty high for now. I assume you have acquired a pretty good idea of the rates UPS charges from your location to various locations in the USA. My guess is flat rate will allow USA residents to find your .ca listings. I know flat rate shipping is far from an ideal solution but at least you'll have USA visibility. Maybe set the rate high, you could still ask potential buyers to message you for a more accurate quote.

The second option would be to list directly on .com, provided you are correctly registered as a Canadian account with a Canadian address and have NOT yet registered for managed payments this option should be available to you. 

Assuming you are now registered as a Canadian account with a Canadian address you will NOT have access to calculated shipping when listing on .com ... flat rate is the only choice available to Canadian accounts. So, shipping wise you'd be no further ahead listing on .com

Try switching a listing to flat rate and have some of your U.S. friends run a search for it.  If you do try one, please report back here with the results. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Some of your listings have a Shipping cost could not be calculated error for the USA.

Most common reason: package length dimension less than 21 cm (9 inches) for the USA.  ebay calculated shipping follows the parcel dimension minimum rules, Canada Post will ignore their own rules.

Any particular reason you created a new ID to list on ebay.CA ?

-..-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The OP is not new, he has been listing on .com with I assume a U.S. address, must have been the case since he has been using calculated UPS shipping for his USA clientele.

Of course he could not register for MP on .com as he is in Ontario, does not possess American credentials.

He now has a new Canadian account which means no ability to use calculated UPS for his American buyers. Adamant CP will not work for his situation.

He is aware of the error. I doubt he has any International services selected period. No USA shipping setup, no visibility . That's his trouble.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

According to one listing, the seller is willing to ship worldwide, but has not set up shipping costs.

In addition, when I specifically used the US zipcodes 90210 and 20500 (White House) his listing did not recognize the zipcodes as valid.  Which is a slightly different problem.

@nationalmopartscanada 

You do need to specify the countries you will ship to for your items to be seen there.

Using Calculated Shipping allows you to enter one set of dimensions and weights and the programming will transfer the information and give a buyer the cost of shipping to his doorstep.

We are all waiting for Managed Payments to allow even those of us with American bank accounts to add those accounts to our MP.

Both the Royal and TD banks have connections with American banks for Canadians. Many are set up by snowbirds. Others by businesses. Talk to the manager at the one you deal with.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@nationalmopartscanada 

Since this is a 0FB account, you could also abandon it and set up a new one once again this time without opting for Managed Payments.

You will need a credit card number you have not used before on eBay to do this.

You should be able to use you existing Paypal account, with US and Canadian dollar options for this.
And eBay Canada accounts can list on dotCOM in US dollars -- the problem is that we pay exchange when we are paid in US and the money is automatically transferred to our Canadian accounts under Managed Payments.

tyler@ebay 

He can open a new dotCA account that uses Paypal right?  EBay will not complete the transition until late 2021, which gives breathing space for all.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@nationalmopartscanada wrote:

... Canada Post is not an option.... do not have time to line up prefer a company like UPS that picks up.

Canada Post does pick up parcels for most areas of Canada when the shipping labels are bought online.

Where pickup is available: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/pa?execution=e1s1

$3.50 for a one time pickup (free for Priority and Priority Worldwide)

Need a Solutions for Small Business membership or a Commercial contract.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/request-pickup.page

-..-

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

CP pickup must be an urban service, it's never been a available out here in our ittle towns and villages. I've never understood why, carrier delivers parcels to our door but they're not allowed to pickup. The OP is shipping from a little town in my area, unfortunately no pickup available there.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You are currently being paid through Managed Payments?   Have you tried listing on .com since you registered?  We have been told two conflicting things and I'm not sure which is correct but one of those was that we could still list on .com but money paid in $US would be converted to $C before it went into our bank account.

If you do list on .ca and have a shipping cost to the US, your listings should be seen on .com. I checked one other MP Canadian seller and I could find their listings in search on .com when I was using a US zip. I can't check any of yours of course as you are using a posting ID.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I can't check any of yours of course as you are using a posting ID.

His/her .ca listings have disappeared, There was 9 listings live when he/she started the thread ... now I see nationalmopartscanada is gone the way of the dodo ... NRU.

BUT there are still 1000s of listings on .com under a shortened user id, nationalmoparts ...

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_sam...

Same people, identical TOS in both their .com and their now delisted .ca listings.

These must be existing listings that were uploaded before the MP deadline ... if he/she are Canadian making them ineligible for MP what happens to the sales proceeds?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@nationalmopartscanada 

Since this is a 0FB account, you could also abandon it and set up a new one once again this time without opting for Managed Payments.

You will need a credit card number you have not used before on eBay to do this.

You should be able to use you existing Paypal account, with US and Canadian dollar options for this.
And eBay Canada accounts can list on dotCOM in US dollars -- the problem is that we pay exchange when we are paid in US and the money is automatically transferred to our Canadian accounts under Managed Payments.

tyler@ebay 

He can open a new dotCA account that uses Paypal right?  EBay will not complete the transition until late 2021, which gives breathing space for all.

Hi @reallynicestamps - catching up on my notifications. 

Your query is accurate - a member can set up a new account that uses PayPal. Also we'll be moving everyone over in stages between now and 2021, so that is also correct.

However, it doesn't/didn't apply to this particular OP, who I think may have just been having issues setting up international shipping properly in order to get visibility from other sites. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 13
latest reply