Managed payments and International/US visibility?

dhslk
Community Member

I'm  worried about the following, that I saw on an ebay.com thread:

..."There are a few more details in the Terms of Service:

Charity, International Listings, and International Site Visibility

If you use managed payments, certain types of active listings you have may end as they are currently not supported by managed payments. Please note:

• To prevent your active international listings from being ended, you need to cancel your listings on international sites and relist them on eBay.com. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled.
  • To prevent the ending of your listings which have ebay for Charity as an option, you need to revise your items and remove the eBay for Charity option. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled or we may remove the eBay for Charity option from your listings.
  • You must edit your listings to remove the international site visibility advanced listing upgrade. You may need to contact customer service with your item IDs to receive a fee credit for this feature."...

I have backed out of signing up for Managed Payments about 6 times in the past few weeks because I keep reading confusing/problematic statements and have been on ebay a LONG time, long enough to know that what you are told by reps is often not accurate and that errors will not be fixable. I highly expect almost all of my listings to be ended if I sign up, as almost all have the UK visibility upgrade (see red text above). I had phoned about another vague statement about "some listings may be ended", and was told that it only applied to Adult category etc., but then today I saw the above Terms of Service statement.

Has anyone who lists on ebay.ca but who has mostly US/UK/Australia sales, and who uses the UK visibility upgrade, switched to Managed Payments? If so, were your listings ended? Do your items still show up on these International sites, as they did before?

I can't take the chance of enabling Managed Payments until I know for sure what is going to happen to my existing listings, and my International and US visibility.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

The MP program does not cover certain categories, including coins and bullion which is a big worry for many sellers, and adult items, which are not covered by Paypal either.

I think vehicles and real estate are also not covered.

So your line of IKEA products should not be at risk.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

But the highlighted in red Terms of Service states (or at least ambiguously suggests) that items using the UK visibility upgrade will be DELISTED (at least for US sellers). Does anyone know if this will or will not happen to Canadian sellers? I can't take the risk of having all of my listings ended.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

The same thing would apply for us.  Once you register you should probably take off the UK visibility option on your listings.  

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

@dhslk 

This new rule is a bit bizarre when you consider this was an another source of revenue for eBay in the past. If it actually added to a sellers visibility, who knows?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

I thought the International Site Visibility upgrade was an anachronism, or at best, a waste of money.

If you're selling something that's not going to see a lot of competition from sellers in other countries, your item is likely going to pop up in a potential buyer's search results anyway.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@marnotom! 

I only tried as a test on a few specific higher valued items for a couple of months to see if I could draw in a few nibbles.  Didn't get any bites so I removed it. It's basically like the extended warranty some stores insist on trying to sell you.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@dhslk wrote:

But the highlighted in red Terms of Service states (or at least ambiguously suggests) that items using the UK visibility upgrade will be DELISTED (at least for US sellers). Does anyone know if this will or will not happen to Canadian sellers? I can't take the risk of having all of my listings ended.

Hi @dhslk - I've been looking into this and have some insight, but have to give these disclaimers first:

As someone who is not an expert on managed payments I may not be able to address your question in its entirety. If you have been notified to register for managed payments you are able to request a call back from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page.

The information provided is accurate as of today's date (29 July 2020) but may become outdated in the future. If you are reading this at a later date please consider checking the Help Pages or request a call back from a managed payments teammate who can provide the most up to date information.

Okay, with that out of the way, here's what I've found (fancy speak follows):

Currently, when your account is activated on managed payments (not just pre-registered but actually 'turned on' for your account), you will not be able to directly create listings on any international* eBay websites. Any of your existing listings on international eBay sites that do not support international sales for your region will be ended and applicable fees credited automatically. 

We are continuously working to improve the managed payments experience for our sellers, and we will be expanding our international sales support in the coming months.

*International is defined as any eBay site that isn't your 'home' site. 

My interpretation is, disclaimers in mind:

If your account is activated on (^) managed payments, and your listings are all listed on eBay Canada and offer international shipping they are allowed and can sell without issue. 

If your account is activated and you are listing directly on a different site (like .com or UK) those listings would be ended. Because of the way International Site Visibility works, those listings would also be ended if the feature is not turned off.

However, this is mostly temporary until such time as cross-listing is supported (scuttlebutt says that it will be much sooner than later, but nothing definitive). If a majority of your listings are listed directly on other sites you are still able to pre-register, but your account would not be activated until multi-site listing is supported. 

Thanks for letting me bloviate a bit!

(^) grammar question, is it 'on' or 'in'? Neither really sounds correct. Help me @femmefan1946

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I thought the International Site Visibility upgrade was an anachronism, or at best, a waste of money.

If you're selling something that's not going to see a lot of competition from sellers in other countries, your item is likely going to pop up in a potential buyer's search results anyway.

Agree, that upgrade is a left-over tidbit from the past ... imo it evidently continues to earn ebay a little revenue so it continues as an option.

As mentioned if a search term has few local results, results from other countries are shown, if there are a dozen or two local results then results from other countries are shown at the bottom of the list, at least those ebay considers worthy are shown there. 

Personally, I've had some success Promoting .ca listings that were pretty much only of interest to United Kingdom buyers, some sell organically, some with the PL fee. My theory is that giving ebay a financial incentive helps those listings appear on .co.uk. I've no means of proving the theory.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

when your account is activated on managed payments

Better would be "when Managed Payments is activated on your account".
Or, "when eBay activates Managed Payments on your account".

It's usually best to avoid passive voice.

And Managed Payments is singular since it is a name for a single policy and not a group of things.  I had to think about that one for a minute.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I noticed this morning that the number of items showing up when I do a search has been greatly reduced.  I do my searches on .com and select Worldwide for location.

Today, I've been listing dozens of items and none are showing up when I search for them on .com but they do show up on .ca

I list on ebay.com and I have not signed for managed payments and I have not been invited to do so.  I do not have an American bank account so I've been getting nervous.

Has anyone else listing on eBay.com noticed that their items are not showing up in the search?

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I'm confused by this statement you made..

"f your account is activated and you are listing directly on a different site (like .com or UK) those listings would be ended. Because of the way International Site Visibility works, those listings would also be ended if the feature is not turned off."

1. In the international visibility scenario, would just the listings on  the UK site be ended or would they also be ended on the site that they were actually listed as well?

2.  I realize that we are being told that if we list on .com we don't have to register for MP right now.  However,  it was my understanding that if we did register and listed on  .com,  the buyer's payment would be converted to Cdn$ at our expense and then deposited into our bank account but that sometime in the future they were going to try and set it up so that the money could instead be deposited into a US or $US account.  But according to your statement above,  our listings on .com would be ended.

One of the reasons that I thought we could still list on .com but our money would be converted was based on this response from

"If you are Canadian, list on .ca, and sell to a US buyer, you only pay the international fee. We’ve discounted this rate for Canadian sellers compared to other payment processors. If you are Canadian, list on .com with your Canadian account and sell to a US buyer, you would pay the international fee and the currency conversion fee. Keep in mind that If you do significant volume on the .com site, you are not required to register at this time"

post 24 -  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-3-2020-Weekly-Chat-Managed-Payments/td-p/44008...

Based on your comment, perhaps I misunderstood what will actually happen.  Which is it..... If we decided to register (even though we aren't required to)  our listings will be ended on .com or will they stay on .com but will be connected to our Canadian accounts and will be charged a conversion fee?

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I noticed this morning that the number of items showing up when I do a search has been greatly reduced.  I do my searches on .com and select Worldwide for location.

Today, I've been listing dozens of items and none are showing up when I search for them on .com but they do show up on .ca

I searched a couple of your recent listings and they show in the results for both .ca and .com

When I searched just for your items I see 600 on both sites.

-..-

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Whew........... Thank you Dennis taking the time to check.  I hope that's right.

The way I show up in the search  is totally wonky and I can't make sense of it, and this morning I definitely noticed that there were way fewer items in my category.

I just listed about 30 items and they are not visible when doing general search.  

Could just be a momentary glitch but it did get my attention.

If not for visiting this board regularly I wouldn't even be aware that managed payments is happening and I'll bet that most sellers are totally unaware of it.

I realize that there have numerous mixed messages re MPs posted here, but is there any solution for those of listing on .com without an American bank account?

I list on .com in $US because that's what collectors understand and the vast majority of my customers are in the US.  Listing on .ca makes no sense for me and the work which be involved in making that switch just seems monstrous.  I can't even get one listing onto .ca without endless glitches and snags.

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

I'm confused by this statement you made..

"f your account is activated and you are listing directly on a different site (like .com or UK) those listings would be ended. Because of the way International Site Visibility works, those listings would also be ended if the feature is not turned off."

1. In the international visibility scenario, would just the listings on  the UK site be ended or would they also be ended on the site that they were actually listed as well?

2.  I realize that we are being told that if we list on .com we don't have to register for MP right now.  However,  it was my understanding that if we did register and listed on  .com,  the buyer's payment would be converted to Cdn$ at our expense and then deposited into our bank account but that sometime in the future they were going to try and set it up so that the money could instead be deposited into a US or $US account.  But according to your statement above,  our listings on .com would be ended.

One of the reasons that I thought we could still list on .com but our money would be converted was based on this response from

"If you are Canadian, list on .ca, and sell to a US buyer, you only pay the international fee. We’ve discounted this rate for Canadian sellers compared to other payment processors. If you are Canadian, list on .com with your Canadian account and sell to a US buyer, you would pay the international fee and the currency conversion fee. Keep in mind that If you do significant volume on the .com site, you are not required to register at this time"

post 24 -  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-3-2020-Weekly-Chat-Managed-Payments/td-p/44008...

Based on your comment, perhaps I misunderstood what will actually happen.  Which is it..... If we decided to register (even though we aren't required to)  our listings will be ended on .com or will they stay on .com but will be connected to our Canadian accounts and will be charged a conversion fee?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - hoping I can clarify! (please reference the disclaimers above)

1. As far as I'm aware, the listing with site visibility would be ended (because International Site Visibility flags a listing as international).

2. At this point in time, you wouldn't be able to list directly on .com, but your listings can be found on .com through search. If a US buyer finds your CA-listed item and pays, those funds would be converted to CAD and paid out. My understanding is that this will not be the case for long, but it's one of the reasons why most folks doing a good share of their business between .com and .ca are not being activated into payments yet. I'll ask for more clarification on this specific example though. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

".My understanding is that this will not be the case for long, but it's one of the reasons why most folks doing a good share of their business between .com and .ca are not being activated into payments yet. I'll ask for more clarification on this specific example though. "

I keep about 1000 listings on ,ca and 1000 on .com. I was supposed to register for mp *received the invite" earlier this month. I have not done so yet.

Will my .com listings stay up? Will they wait before forcing me to join mp? If my .com listings go I'm gone too. Especially with the US sellers getting huge increases in their allotments!

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

It's starting to sink in that this is going to be brutal.

My newly listed items are no longer visible when the search is for newly listed items and for me that's the only search that matters.

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

I do not have an American bank account so I've been getting nervous.

Even if you are listing on dotCOM in US dollars, you are registered on dotCA and all your payments are going to a Canadian dollar bank account.

Even if you have a Canadian bank account in US dollars, you are paying exchange from the US dollars your American customers pay with,

then PP changes* those to loonies when you move them to your Canadian bank, then your Canadian bank charges you exchange when they put the loonies into your US dollar account.

An American bank account is not usually useful unless you are selling in a big way. I have one left from before we retired from our business. Then it handled hundreds of thousands of US dollars a year.

I opened my own about 15 years ago, but the monthly fees were greater than any savings I was making on exchange, so I closed that.

If you wanted to, you could also sell on the German site in euros, or on the UK site in pounds.

But you would not need a bank account in either of those currencies, even though both sites are also moving to Managed Payment.

*This is American law, it has something to do with gambling and something to do with terrorism and goes back to the 20th century.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

I just googled "mass confusion" .... managedpayments.ca ranked well ... lol

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

Thank you for that, but reading the posts here I was getting the impression that if a seller wants to continue to list on .com that it might be possible to do so only if that seller has an account in the US.

I don't care about a point here or there.  With the rate of exchange this much in our favour the daily fluctuation doesn't touch me.

However. do we have to have an actual US account to list on .com when managed payments comes to be?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply