Novice seller - Paypal shipping label questions

We sell a few things here or there (on my wife's account).

Never used the Paypal label, we don't like the small font on

the address label.  But am thinking of trying them

Have to now, printed our own larger font address labels,

then get the PO lady to put the track code / other stickers on it.

1) does the Paypal label include a CN22 customs declaration section
for parcels going to the US? or is there a separate CN22, for
US Expedited, or US Tracked Packet?

2) is there any *large* font words/number indicating the type of service,
ie. "Expedited 2" for example for Canada Expedited, or for Express,
or for US Expedited, or US Tracked Packet?
When we have had the PO lady print the track barcode sticker,
she always puts cool separate blue or colored stickers showing the category i.e. "Expedited 2". I think they help in sorting

3) what are the dimensions of the complete Paypal label? in cm

4) can one put clear packing tape over the track code - will it still scan?

5) when the PO lady prints the track code
sticker, that is the *first scan in the track
history. If you just drop off a parcel at the counter
with a Paypal label, the PO lady does not scan it.
Is the first scan in the track history at the sort plant that night?

I know, novice questions

Many Thx!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I'll see if I can help answer some questions, please don't apologize for asking them.

1. Yes, all postage labels that you can buy and print online include that CN22 area for customs regardless of whether it's Paypal or Shippo or SnapShip.

2. Yes, there is a big number on the top right-hand corner of the label for all postage labels that you can buy and print online that include that numerical value for service indicating whether it's Xpresspost or Expedited or Priority regardless of whether it's a label purchased and printed via Paypal or Shippo or SnapShip.

3. I always use my printer to enlarge the label to fit my sleeves so I cannot actually tell you how big the label is straight from Canada Post. It's too small to be useful to my untrained eye but obviously it's big enough to get the job done by their machines. Domestic labels are larger than Small Packet or Tracked Packet (despite containing less valuable information) and Xpresspost are oriented on a horizontal plane instead of vertical. 

4. Yes, you can lay tape over the barcode although before I had sleeves I would still NOT do it because I'm superstitious. I think that warning is to prevent people from laying down ten layers of tape to be cautious. If a machine can read the label through my clear plastic sleeve, it can read the label through one layer of clear packing tape. Gift tape I cannot vouch for, don't use it.

5. If you're standing at the counter anyway, get the worker to do your acceptance scan. Otherwise, yes, the first scan is at the next nearest sorting facility. Many ebay sellers use letterboxes on the street but I prefer to hand my parcels to a person and watch them scan it. Then I know I'm covered.

Best of luck to you. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

(Also, there's nothing to prevent you from using your large typeface address label in conjunction with the PayPal label; I've done that too on large boxes where the tiny postage label looks ridiculous. Those tiny, ridiculous-looking labels are, however, a standard size. Courier labels are no larger. Just make certain you are printing the label on a page that's oriented in the proper direction, you may have to tinker with your printer settings. )

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If the labels are printing 9 cm x 6 cm, you need to shift your paper/page orientation the other way; they should be at least 16 cm x 11 cm, based on memory. But you can adjust the 'percentage to print of original size' make them bigger just not so big they exceed the margins of the page.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Wow, thx. Re the size of the label... wondering if it will "fit" on a box I have today... 13 by 17 by 10 cm... can the PP label be wrapped around the side of a small box?
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No, don't wrap. Never wrap. You can use your printer to shrink the percentage to print of original size. But try at 100 per cent first, it will be close. 

Also, if you want my advice, I have found that my tiny parcels fall between the cracks. I use tracking on those now that are sized 16 x 11 x 9. Yours will be fine, that's not tiny. But I had some little ones 'disappear' for a week because they fell into some kind of crevice somewhere along the conveyor belt. I'm glad they were tracked. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:
5) when the PO lady prints the track code sticker, that is the *first scan in the track

history. If you just drop off a parcel at the counter with a Paypal label, the PO lady does not scan it. Is the first scan in the track history at the sort plant that night?

I always wait and request an originate scan at the counter rather than wait for a sorting plant scan (especially in these days postal strike backlogs).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:

4) can one put clear packing tape over the track code - will it still scan?

As long as it is clear and bubble/wrinkle free I've never had problems covering the label with tape (another reason to have the package scanned at the counter, just to sure there is no problem).

Tape used to be a problem 30 years ago with some of the old scanner tech. But not these days.

-..-

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

If you have a small business account you can order the actual pouches(along with an assortment of other supplies) from Canadapost for free. Believe minimum is quantities of 100. Varies (min/max) per account. Bad news though, if you ordered now they might get stuck in the mail.  😉  Sorry. Had to sneak that in!! You used to be able to pick up these supplies at the larger canadapost counters but its really hit or miss as to if they will have stock or admit to it from my experience.

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/mail-pack-ship/labels-stickers-pouches-and-more.jsf?execution=e1s1

-CM

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I often use smaller boxes and do have to fold over the label and it has never been a problem. I make sure that the bar code and the receiver's address are all on one side..so not folded.

I use labelopes...the plastic envelopes but in the past I did tape over the labels without a problem. In fact, the postal outlet suggested I do so to prevent the label from smearing if the package saw any moisture.

I haven't used Paypal to print a label in a while so can't remember what mode I use there but on Shippo I print the label in landscape mode and it is large enough. It is tiny if I use portrait mode.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

For anyone that requires a generic customs invoice see attached PDF. If, for example, you were using FEDEX their compatible form can be accessed at their website. More blanks completed, smoother your transaction will be.

A)   Instructions   https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/ci1-eng.html

B)   Form   https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/ci1.pdf

-CM

Message 12 of 12
latest reply