Observation: open returns/cases negatively affects sellers exposure?

Background:

I had my first “return requested” situation a few days ago.

The short version is that the buyer misunderstood what they were getting. We had discussion back and forth and eventually they were ok with keeping the item.

Since I’d never had an official “return requested” before I wasn’t sure how the process worked around closing it. I presumed that eventually it would expire on its own but upon reading more, I became worried that it might just resolve itself by fully refunding the buyer when the time limit expired if they didn’t close it themselves. So I asked the buyer to please cancel it on the assumption they were still ok with what they received.  Fortunately they did cancel the return request.

Issue:

This is when I noticed that I had received ZERO sales for the almost 2 days it was open. I checked the timing of the opening of the “return requested” and its closing and there were sales just before and sales a couple hours after, but nothing for the almost 2 days it was open. Zero sales is very uncommon for me for a two day period.

This worried me so I started looking at other INRs and INADs that I’ve had over the last few months.

-in some cases there were also zero sales during the time the case was open.

-in some cases there were sales to repeat customers during the time the case was open.

-in some cases there were normal sales to customers* but I am not sure of the status of the case during the timing of sales

*I have a suspicion that as long as the case is closed or “waiting on the buyer” it might not be impacting. I say this because (sighhhh) I have another open case at the moment, which is really just a buyer asking when I sent their item. I responded so the case is showing as “awaits other members’ responses” and sales have occurred since it changed to “awaits other members’ responses” mode.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this and/or has some statistics around it.

Even though the return requested example happened over the Easter weekend which has traditionally been slow for me, the fact that sales were happening before the return was requested as normal and after it was closed as normal seems non-coincidental.

At the moment, I have a strong suspicion that the “cassini” algorithm may be significantly negatively impacting a seller’s exposure while they have an open case/return????

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I currently have 2 return cases open. One the buyer didn't like the color but decided to keep the item anyway and the second one is being returned as the buyer ordered the wrong size. I have had sales while these return cases have been open however sales have been incredibly low over the Easter long weekend - usually long weekends are just the opposite for me and are crazy busy.  I would also like to find out if these return cases affect our sales and exposure. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Very interesting post.  I can't provide any personal input because (thank goodness!) I haven't yet had a case opened under the new system.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me at all that eBay had a method of "downgrading" listings from sellers with pending cases. 

Incidentally, I see you've just attained a gold star (10,000+).  This must be quite recent, isn't it?  If so, congratulations!  It's a number I'll never see, so I'm happy to revel in vicarious achievement. Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@joetriever wrote:

I currently have 2 return cases open. One the buyer didn't like the color but decided to keep the item anyway and the second one is being returned as the buyer ordered the wrong size. I have had sales while these return cases have been open however sales have been incredibly low over the Easter long weekend - usually long weekends are just the opposite for me and are crazy busy.  I would also like to find out if these return cases affect our sales and exposure. 

I am surprised to know that the buyer can open the RETURN ITEM case when it was his/her error in choice of item's size.

And you have to pay for return shipping?  

With all eBay's hardships given to sellers this does not look right at all! 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Very interesting post.  I can't provide any personal input because (thank goodness!) I haven't yet had a case opened under the new system.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me at all that eBay had a method of "downgrading" listings from sellers with pending cases. 

Incidentally, I see you've just attained a gold star (10,000+).  This must be quite recent, isn't it?  If so, congratulations!  It's a number I'll never see, so I'm happy to revel in vicarious achievement. Woman Very Happy

Feb 21, 2015 was when ricarmic reached 10,000

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Congratulations-RICARMIC/m-p/294820

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

In case one the buyer thought the colors of the item should be brighter because her monitor showed a brighter picture.  In the second case an inexperienced buyer didn't measure as instructed before buying and ordered a size too large. Neither case was our fault however looking back on sales since the two cases have been opened, sales have tanked and not just during the Easter long weekend. This is very concerning that Ebay would provide this new program option for returns to buyers and penalize a seller during this time without cause.  Our return policy states buyer is responsible for returning the item for a refund and we do not pay return shipping so that isn't the issue.  We get returns all the time from people who buy the wrong size.  It's the decreased sales while these cases are opened by buyers that can ruin business on Ebay.  I've just messaged both buyers to ask them to close their cases as there is no dispute and hopefully they do and I will see sales again!  Very disappointed in this new return system Ebay!!!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@joetriever wrote:

In case one the buyer thought the colors of the item should be brighter because her monitor showed a brighter picture.  In the second case an inexperienced buyer didn't measure as instructed before buying and ordered a size too large. Neither case was our fault however looking back on sales since the two cases have been opened, sales have tanked and not just during the Easter long weekend. This is very concerning that Ebay would provide this new program option for returns to buyers and penalize a seller during this time without cause.  Our return policy states buyer is responsible for returning the item for a refund and we do not pay return shipping so that isn't the issue.  We get returns all the time from people who buy the wrong size.  It's the decreased sales while these cases are opened by buyers that can ruin business on Ebay.  I've just messaged both buyers to ask them to close their cases as there is no dispute and hopefully they do and I will see sales again!  Very disappointed in this new return system Ebay!!!

Thank you for clarification!  it is very scary return system - seems that buyers NEVER make errors Woman Sad

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Buyers d not even have to show proof of damage anymore either.Lost a case after 1 month 2 weeks.First case was closed in my favour then they were able to open a second case.Said they thought they paid too much for item then said it had a unseen crack? After 2 hrs with CS told they have to protect their buyers and they do not have to show proof. ADIOS!!!EBAY .Your buyers can buy all the 99 cent items they want Fool me once shame on you fool me twice UHH NO not gonna happen I  am letting the last of  my   listing expire and off I go .My other site doses much better for sales and SERVICE

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

So - what site is that? Etsy?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be amused but not surprised if eBay do that.  It is like when WalMart has complaints as the customer counter and then Walmart cannot sell anything until those complaints at the customer counter are resolved.  That would be hilarious if eBay is using that kind of tactic to sellers for that purpose!

eBay is JUST a venue where we post our items and pay the hefty final values fees and why do they need to have so many silly idiots policies??!!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hi Rose! THX for the well wishes!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hopefully I will not have many return situations to deal with, but I will be watching what happens with them to decide my next steps.

The thing that concerns me is that I have higher risks/misunderstandings with non english speaking customers:

-if those increase the number of returns or cases

-and the cases for the international folks "stop" my USA/Canadian sales for their duration of the return/case

-I will have to evaluate/balance the risk of selling to those countries against the cost of the stopped sales that issues from those countries generate.

My personal expectation would have been that if I was having a return etc situation from a US buyer, I could understand that affecting the exposure results to other US buyers. (ie if I'm selling stuff people want to return, then theoretically it would not be a good idea to heavily promote my stuff to other buyers above other sellers)

I do not as much understand why a return etc situation from a European or South American buyer would affect the exposure results to US buyers. (If one looks at how they ceased creating INR defects from "risky" countries, one would expect foreign issues not to impact local exposure)

The specific return situation I had was with a European country, but NOT one of the "defect free" INR countries, so it is possible that the "defect free" INR countries list wouldn't impact exposure. I would be interested to know if anyone gets experience around this.

Given eBay wants us to sell worldwide, and I've remained an "I sell everywhere" kind of guy, it would be sad if this kind of situation provokes me, and others like me to begin restricting where we will sell. 

I personally do not have enough hard information to confirm that cases/returns are affecting exposure, although I have enough to worry me.

I welcome anyone else's experiences/results that help confirm or deny that this is happening!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It is more a perception of what may be happening

When there is a problem with a buyer....  item not received or otherwise....

Does this affect sales... or ... who sees my listings....  Perhaps.... but it  is more a perception that something may be happening..

--------------------------------------

Last fall It was a decision not to ship outside of Canada and the US.

and immediately one got the impression  that  one was getting more exposure on eBay.com ......eBay US....   More sales.

Recently there was a major adjustment in pricing in relation to the exchange rate...  More US sales....  and with that came more sales perhaps due to exposure  

where ....Sales beget sales.

--------------------------

It is like Cassini, the search algorithm, knows when a seller is in "trouble"   ... such as an open case....

and then....  when a seller is doing the right thing to get more sales.

-----------------------------------------------

Cassini does take a seller's record into consideration  when adjusting the exposure of listings among sellers.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Feb 21, 2015 was when ricarmic reached 10,000

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Congratulations-RICARMIC/m-p/294820

Apologies all around ... I guess I missed the party that day!   Belated congrats anyway. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply