Odd. Ebay Activated Offers on a Listing

byto253
Community Member

I had a weird thing occur.  Ebay unilaterally activated accepting offers on a simple fixed price listing.   I got this email about this awesome thing they did for me, with a minimum offer floor at half my price  🙂

-----------------

Your chances of selling have just gone up!

Hi <first name>,

Buyers can now make offers on your listing.

Your listings that accept offers from buyers have a higher chance of selling because they provide you more opportunities

If you don’t want to receive offers, go to manage offer settings to update your preferences.

--------------------------

Does this happen often?  I had to go into my account to turn it off.  I just got going and just found this weird, is Ebay trying to point out the wonder of offers 🙂   Not mad, just wondering if this is a usual thing or what.   It really came out of the blue.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Was this a new listing or had it been kicking around with few or no sales in months?

In any case, as you probably know, you can accept, counter-offer, reject or ignore any offer.

Although just ignoring them would be rude.

Almost as rude as changing your listings without your permission.

If you go to Active Listings-> Fixed Price and look under Quick Filters->Best Offer(added) you should be able to revise those that were changed without your agreement.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Back when I used to sell, I constantly fought with this. My solution was to enable Best Offer when I listed, and I usually made the Best Offer Minimum a few cents lower than my price. 

eBay really want to ramp up sales at all costs, so that's why they try and fire sale your inventory. Because setting the store on fire is the best way to do business.

Sorry. I'm cranky when it comes to stupid ideas that were probably think tanked by buyers focus groups, not market sellers. Everything is abut the buyer. But if you have no sellers and no product, oh no, there will be no more buyer. Strange how that works.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Please scroll through and read my giant rant about this. It's happened to me 3 times in the past week - over 30 listings I had to update. I contacted customer support and my post lays it all out. I'm still monitoring it - I'll let you know what i find out.

An Ebay manager was supposed to call back. It's been days and no one has.

I tagged Tyler, still no word from him
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It was a new listing, about 14 days in.   I nipped the offer portion in the bud so I did not need to answer them, which I would do anyway.   

Thanks for the referral to the other thread Teeny.  Oh my!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I've read about this on the boards. Although I cannot say if it happens to everyone... and since almost all my listings have the Best Offer option, I never got this problem.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply