Offer the same price as buy it now

I just received an offer of the same price as my buy it now. I did read many contradictory opinions about it on the net. The buyer is a 0 feedback account created yersterday. Do you think i should just ignore it or would you accept?

I shipped an item bought with buy it now a few days ago to a similar profil, 0 feedback created the same day. I'm kinda scare of scams when i see those...

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I just received an offer of the same price as my buy it now. I did read many contradictory opinions about it on the net. The buyer is a 0 feedback account created yersterday. Do you think i should just ignore it or would you accept?

I shipped an item bought with buy it now a few days ago to a similar profil, 0 feedback created the same day. I'm kinda scare of scams when i see those...

I'm under the impression some buyers don't fully understand the concept. I've had a few that used it just to ask a question. which should be do-able from the listing.  But not always.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The only problem I can see is the "buyer" not paying if you accept the offer. Which would take your item off the market for 4 days before you could relist.

You could counter-offer for the same price and ask if they have any questions.

-;-

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I'll just experiment actually i accepted the offer. It's a cheap item anyway

I just don't understand why they would do this, and no feedback fresh new account always scaring me of a premidated INR scam

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I sacrificed myself for science, finally it looks like a scam attempt

Buyer sent this message on ebay after i accepted:

Hello dear seller am messaging you on the item i do have couple of questions text me on number
+x-xxx-xxx-xxx I will be expecting Your Message Thank You God Bless You.

I obviously won't text him and ignore anything outside ebay.  I also already know about the fake paypal email

What's the thing to do? Just ignore anything from him and block him? Can we report him to ebay?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

What is the worst case scenario?

If you accept the offer and he does not pay, after four days eBay will give him an Unpaid Item Strike and end the transaction. You can then relist.

• This is fairly new and you should check that this automatic process is actually activated.
  • Come to think of it so should I.

If he pays and you ship without tracking, which is sensible on low value /high markup items * then he claims Item Not Received and you have to refund in full.

He pays, you ship, and he doesn't leave feedback, which as a new seller you desperately want.

To my mind, the worst of those is the No Feedback one.

I am old and cynical.

*Like your $2.50 cards  which I assume you can ship for 92c +packaging so they must cost you under 50c.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ignore him and since he won't be paying you will have to cancel for unpaid item after the 4th day.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

You can ignore it, and cancel the transaction after 5 days (or whatever the number is) using the 'buyer hasn't paid' function.

If you don't want your item unlisted for 5 days, you could call eBay and report that you believe the buyer might be part of a scam. When you do this, you can ask them if you can cancel due to 'problem with address'. Generally when there is an issue that requires a cancellation, eBay customer service will tell you to use that reason as the generic reason. I wouldn't just cancel it for 'problem with address' without calling or chatting with a customer service rep first though.

The reason someone might make an offer on a BIN is if you require immediate payment on BIN. They may want to wait a few days to pay for the item. If you accept their offer, they don't have to pay right away. 

The main issue I find with new accounts that make offers, is they seem to have a higher chance of not paying for the item. In this case, it looks like you attracted a genuine scam.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Is it an option to contact Ebay that the buyer wants you to contact them directly and sent an phone number, which is against rules, and Ebay would cancel the sale?  Likely suspend the buyer's account as well.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Is it an option to contact Ebay that the buyer wants you to contact them directly and sent an phone number, which is against rules, and Ebay would cancel the sale?  Likely suspend the buyer's account as well.

This seems like a very good idea. tyler@ebay 
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Contacting ebay about that is USELESS!!!! I had someone send me 20 messages over the span of 2 days in May 2021 saying a variety of things suchs as these "Would you sell outside of here" and "How much to buy now? EMT" and "is this available? would you consider lowering ht eprice? EMT?"

ebay for business said to block the buyer (which I did after the 4th message in 10 minutes), sure thats fine and dandy but people can still send you countless messages since blocking a buyer doesnt block them from messaging. And no this person had NEVER bought from me before so there was no previous transaction.

In July I got 10 more messages from this account with the same type of messages, contacted ebay for business again, nadda lol. They still have an acount on ebay and have been buying things consistently the whole time.

So yeah reporting people is generally useless. Double standard much? If we send an email address to someone not based on a transaction we would probably be banned in an instant as a seller, but buyers can blatenley ask for sales off ebay and when you tell ebay they dont care lol.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

When can we relist our item when a buyer does not pay? I see we already have a ''relist'' option. I thought we had to wait 4 days before being able to do it

I think this person got banned btw it's written on his profil ''no longer a registered user''

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Since they are no longer a user you may as well cancel the transaction now using problem with buyers address as the reason and then you can relist right away.  Normally you would relist once you had cancelled with the reason that there was no payment but that can't be done until the 5th day. But since they aren't registered you may as well cancel early.

I think that when you cancel there may be a place to check off that the item will be relisted automatically.

There is no reason to phone eBay since you can cancel it yourself.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles 

The relist automatically for unpaid does not ALWAYS work automatically. You have to confirm  either relisted or not. According to customer service it's a known glitch that they are unable to resolve. Had it happen to me on a few occasions for unpaid.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 14
latest reply