Opening store

Hello, after 18 years on Ebay, I decided to open a Store, I list about 950 products every month, all in the Buy It Now category. My concern is that if I list these products on May 1 they will be automatically renewed on May 31, will Ebay charge me for these as extra listings?

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Opening store

OMG, how did you survive 18 years with 950 items and without a store..? 😉

20-Funny-Shocked-Cat-Memes-3.jpg

The answer is unfortunately "yes". I had the same problem until I switched to MP and got 10.000 free items. 

If your limit is 1.000 per month, the 950 items will renew automatically and you will be charged for 900 items "over limit". 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@musicharmonyandrhythm wrote:

Hello, after 18 years on Ebay, I decided to open a Store, I list about 950 products every month, all in the Buy It Now category. My concern is that if I list these products on May 1 they will be automatically renewed on May 31, will Ebay charge me for these as extra listings?

Thank you for your help.

The 30 day renewal for period for Fixed Price listings went away about 3 years ago (not sure how you never noticed?).

Fixed Price listings now renew on the same date every month so if you list something on May 1st it will renew on June 1st, July 1st, August 1st and so on. The change was made to eliminate the possibility of the situation you are concerned about.

Here is the original notification from 2019:

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#good-ti...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@musicharmonyandrhythm wrote:

The 30 day renewal for period for Fixed Price listings went away about 3 years ago (not sure how you never noticed?).

Oops, I did not notice that, too 😉 But I remember that was a real horror ... 😉

I was able to save hundreds of dollars monthly only by ending listings early and then relisting them a week later. Finally, I resolved that problem in another way, so probably it's why I didn't notice this important change.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The so called free listing allotments included with store subscriptions can be tricky to understand. In particular I would tread carefully around using the auction format in the music and book categories. I've no hands-on experience doing so, but my interpretation is that auction listings in those categories would incur listing fees even when there is a store subscription in place.

I myself would appreciate some definitive info on this from current store subscribers. After experiencing more than 2 years of continuous free listing promotions of one sort or another I find myself with 1300 active listings so I too am considering my options re; store subscription. Since my bread n butter is collectibles it looks like a basic level sub would solve my looming listing fee problem, I'm not so sure the OP will be totally happy though, am I missing something?

Store subscription "Select Categories".
I note that the qualifying categories for auctions are very different from those in the BIN list.
https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4809&st=12&pos=...

I've also noted that there are more category changes coming which is also important when considering store options. Later in May the category list will look a little different, it is available in pdf format for various countries.
https://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/categorychanges.html

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The DOTca help page sort of buries the "select categories" info amongst a lot of other information.

Here is a screenshot of Auction listing select categories, and another of the Fixed Price (BIN) "select categories". 

Auction select categories

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed price select categories

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Those fixed price select categories are only for the extra 10,000 listings.  The first number of listings is available in all categories. So if you have a basic store you get 1000 free FP listings in any category and 10000 free FP listings in those specific categories.

As far as any category changes affecting that, I think that most (or all?) changes are usually within a category which wouldn't affect the insertion charge.   I haven't examined the upcoming changed though.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Those fixed price select categories are only for the extra 10,000 listings.  The first number of listings is available in all categories. So if you have a basic store you get 1000 free FP listings in any category and 10000 free FP listings in those specific categories.

I understand that select categories apply only to the extra bonus listings. My question relates to a basic level store and auction listings.

Like I previously mentioned, the documentation is confusing. They say the free 250 auction listings can only be used in the auction select categories. As for the basic 1,000 free in all categories they imply that those 1,000 are to be used as fixed price listings ... they don't mention anything about being able to use some of those for auctions. 

Can anyone with hands on store experience clarify how auction listings outside of the select categories are handled. Are listing fees sometimes billed on those or not?

For example, would an auction listing in the music category incur a listing fee even if the total number of all categories listings were less than 1,000? In the documentation they do no say anything about including auction listings as part of the 1,000 free in all categories, they refer only to fixed price in their documentation. Besides music, their are a number of categories excluded from the auction select categories list. What are the implications for auction listing fees?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I understand that select categories apply only to the extra bonus listings. My question relates to a basic level store and auction listings.

Like I previously mentioned, the documentation is confusing. They say the free 250 auction listings can only be used in the auction select categories. As for the basic 1,000 free in all categories they imply that those 1,000 are to be used as fixed price listings ... they don't mention anything about being able to use some of those for auctions. 

Can anyone with hands on store experience clarify how auction listings outside of the select categories are handled. Are listing fees sometimes billed on those or not?

For example, would an auction listing in the music category incur a listing fee even if the total number of all categories listings were less than 1,000? In the documentation they do no say anything about including auction listings as part of the 1,000 free in all categories, they refer only to fixed price in their documentation. Besides music, their are a number of categories excluded from the auction select categories list. What are the implications for auction listing fees?

@kawartha-ephemera 

Even BIN with a basic store for some sellers will be a lottery going forward.  I've been watching the numbers as it plays out this month to see where I am. (Month 1 of revised store allotments). I currently have 1240 lisitings. 16 days in 321 were pulled from 10,000 K promo for select categories. 368 have been pulled from my 1000 allotment. Was no worries with 50 or 100,000 free. 14 more days to find out the final score. One of the "quirks" of listing in multiple categories. There may be a few sellers discovering a major surprise at end of month. Still a bit strange it took almost 3 years for Canadian sellers to get a similar allotment compared to sellers south of us.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I have a basic store but I never list auctions so can't you from first hand experience how it is handled.  But,  I'm confident that if you had a basic store and listed an auction in the music category that you would pay an insertion fee. It would not be taken from one of your remaining fixed price listing free insertions.  It seems fairly straightfoward to me.   If they were going to allow that, they wouldn't have a list of categories that you could use for auctions. It would simply say that you could do 250 auctions and 1,000 fixed price listings.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

As you say, it seems a listing fee would be charged. Seems odd that certain categories require listing fees even with a store subscription ... 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I agree.  It seems odd that a store isn't given xx amount of listings that can be used in any category as an auction or as a FP. 

Two more odd things when you have a store..

There is a fee for adding a BIN price to an auction listing.

There is a fee to use the scheduling option. 
Both of those are free without a store.

I don't see any logic there either! 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply