PayPal "Pay After Delivery" - eligible transactions

I posting here because i figure sellers would know the answer. Also, this is not a strictly eBay question as I'm asking about any average online PayPal purchase.

I'm eligible for PayPal's "Pay After Delivery" feature; I've used it several times already. The option for Pay After Delivery sometimes shows up and sometimes it doesn't. I've been hunting for the answer but I can't zero-in on why.

In PayPal's user agreement it mentions that Pay After Delivery is available for eligible transactions. That's the crux of it, I suppose. What are the criteria that PayPal uses to decide what makes a transaction (or a seller) eligible for Pay After Delivery.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I have no idea really but I suspect only item from "approved" sellers would be available to you for pay after delivery. Obviously sellers with a history of refunds, claims or returns are less likely to be approved.

Any sellers who does not accept returns obviously would not be included.

It may be that only sellers enrolled in the Managed Returns Process are eligible.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I'd think it's only eligible with sales from sellers who accept Pay After Delivery. 

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Pretty sure it's more like Bill Me Later. I don't think as a seller you would even know a buyer used Pay After Delivery because you get paid normally.

I'm eligible for PayPal's "Pay After Delivery" feature; I've used it several times already

I've wondered, when it's time to pay does PayPal offer to switch the bill to Bill Me Later? I figured one of the reasons for this was to try to hook people into signing up for BML to extend the payment even further.

In any event, what is the procedure after you receive the item?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

i`ve been using "pay after delivery" payment option for all my transactions for a couple of months now... very convenient... until today... i went to pay and i no longer get that payment option... i asked myself what changed?  well, i put in a paypal claim for an item not received the other day... the item went MIA... lost in the mail.... i got a refund... but i also lost my pay after delivery privilege... pretty sad... they put the onus on the buyer even though canada post is to blame... i'm just wondering if i will get it back if at all

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

In PayPal's user agreement it mentions that Pay After Delivery is available for eligible transactions.

Have you noticed if the sellers that are eligible have been from different countries or just the U.S.?

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

In PayPal's user agreement it mentions that Pay After Delivery is available for eligible transactions.

Have you noticed if the sellers that are eligible have been from different countries or just the U.S.?

That was my question too!!! I have yet to run across this.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

i've been using pay after delivery for both Canada and US transactions... but i do remember trying to buy a laptop from Dell Canada but that payment option was not available to me even though Dell allows you to buy stuff online using paypal... i think eligible transactions have a cap or funds limit

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I am a Canadian user and have bought stuff from the USA  and was successful with the "pay after delivery" option.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I am in the United States and have been using the "Pay After Delivery" for about a year now - both on Ebay and on other websites that accept PayPal (although I have not been offered the PAD on every website that offers PayPal).  I have never been able to use it on purchases from England and if making multiple purchases from the same seller I am not offered that option.  I really don't get the point if you don't have sufficient information to make an informed decision.  They say the reason for it is to encourage "top buyers" to spend more money which in my opinion is code for buy now, pay later which is nice, but if you buy something and you are not offered PAD you may be up a financial creek.:smileyfrustrated.  I've had a lot of non-paying bidders since this perk became available and I can't help but wonder if this is what is causing it.  Up until buyers were given this option, I only had two NPB in over 10 years.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

i get it on and off... sometimes PAD will show up and sometimes it will not... kinda frustrating when you want to make a purchase and need the convenience of "pay after 21 days" only to find out after you purchase that you need to "pay it now"... or else face the wrath of an unpaid item strike notice... ebay should clearly mark listings that tells eligible buyers that the listing is eligible for PAD... as it is, it's hit or miss

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Hello! I gave PayPal a call about this one fact question. Sadly, I've never been able to us Pay After Delivery. As it turns out, the seller actually has to be the one to contact PayPal and request to add Pay After Delivery to their account. Idk how accurate that information is, but that is what I was told. Sadly, I've never been able to use it. I hope this helps!
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@territrep06 wrote:
Hello! I gave PayPal a call about this one fact question. Sadly, I've never been able to us Pay After Delivery. As it turns out, the seller actually has to be the one to contact PayPal and request to add Pay After Delivery to their account. Idk how accurate that information is, but that is what I was told. Sadly, I've never been able to use it. I hope this helps!

This is not correct, Sellers have nothing to do with PayPal's "pay after delivery", sellers will have no idea if PayPal offers it to their buyers or not. It's the same as Bill Me Later, it's strictly between the buyer and PayPal, the seller receives payment immediately in both cases.

It's PayPal that decides if  a transaction is eligible for Pay After Delivery. Presumably they base this decision on the history of both buyer and seller and the specific item involved.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Then I guess the question is what makes it a qualified transaction? I'm eligible, I've got two confirmed bank accounts and the checking account shows that PAD is my preferred method of payment with the checking account. But the only criteria they would give me is that the transaction had to be less than $10,000. They wouldn't tell me anything else.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

This is a very old thread.

To get an answer to your question, why not call PayPal?  They are the only one who would know why you qualify or not.

"They wouldn't tell me anything else."

You can try calling again or just do like most buyers pay with your credit card.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

From PayPal help pages:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ918

If the Pay After Delivery option doesn’t appear during checkout, it’s not available to you yet. We are in the process making this feature available to more customers in the near future.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Its not all that simple.  I have weeks where everything I want to buy has the option and others where it doesn't show up no matter what.  Out of curiosity I went back to a Buy it now purchase that I made with Pay after delivery put the same item from the same seller in the cart and went to check out and NO Option for for pay after delivery....   SOOOO they claim it is not eligible for transactions that are potential for fraud but why one week you can use it and the next you cant on the same item from the same seller????

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

"that are potential for fraud"

???

Where specifically does PayPal state "that are potential for fraud"?

They offer the program on some listings not on others. It is not an entitlement, it is a promotional program.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I'm eligible, I've got two confirmed bank accounts and the checking account shows that PAD is my preferred method of payment with the checking account.

And if you are talking about this account you have two (2) completed transactions with feedback.

Neither of them in the past 12 months.

EBay is very careful about new members. I'm most familiar with new sellers who have restrictions on the number and value of the items they list, the destinations they can ship to, and who have their buyers' payments Held for 21 days against their good performance.

These also apply to occasional sellers no matter how long they have been members and , naturally, to sellers with defects or violations on their account.

New buyers have fewer restrictions, mostly I believe on the number and value of items they can bid on, but just having a bank account is not usually good enough. You would probably have to show that you actually pay promptly for your purchases.

BTW. Not related to this, but you are sacrificing some Buyer Protection by paying from your bank account.

If you used a credit card, not only would your seller get paid instantly, instead of waiting upwards of 10 days for your e-cheque to clear two banking systems, but you would also have the card's 'chargeback' Buyer Protection against purchases that are damaged, not as described or just don't arrive.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I am having the same issue. I found a couple of sellers that i can use pad for but even when buying from sellers I previously used it for sometimes it still won't give me that issue. It's so frustrating. One time I went to buy and it showed pad and when i went to add to my order from them and pay it didn't show the option anymore. It's like its completely random. I know this is a new option so I am hoping they will get this fixed and make it available for much more. Right now I can't find any other sellers who accept this option. I was told by Pay pal that it's an agreement between the seller and Pay pal. The seller has to accept that sort of payment. But i've heard other people say that they were told it's an agreement between the buyer and Paypal. None of it makes any sense to me. It's really frustrating because I need to get a case for my new phone but I have to wait until my paycheck is in the bank to get it because I can't find a seller or whatever and I can't use pad for what I want. It's too hit and miss. I can try from my phone and it will say it's available but then log in on my computer and it's not, for the same exact order. Makes no sense. 

Message 20 of 28
latest reply