PayPal will not refund your fees as of 11/01/19.

Stumbled across this by accident on dot com. November is not looking like a good month. Read at your discretion. Reading may lead to drinking something much stronger than coffee!! Cancelled transactions/returns/"NAD"/Changed mind all just got more expensive. Robot Frustrated See last line of post 5.

If I missed this on dot ca my apologies.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/PayPal-will-not-refund-your-fees-as-of-11-01-19/m-p/30349306

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA

Refunds, Reversals and Chargebacks

General information

If you receive a payment for selling goods or services that is later refunded or invalidated for any reason, you are responsible for the full amount of the payment sent to you plus any fees (including any applicable chargeback fee described below).  Whenever a transaction is refunded or otherwise reversed, PayPal will refund or reverse the transaction from your PayPal account in the same currency as the original transaction. If your PayPal balance for a particular currency is insufficient to cover the amount of a refund or reversal, PayPal will perform a currency conversion in order to refund or reverse the transaction. PayPal’s transaction exchange rate (including our currency conversion fee) at the time the refund or reversal is processed will be used.

If you refund a payment for good or services, we will retain the fixed fee portion of the fees you paid as the seller.  The buyer’s account will be credited with the full payment amount, we’ll retain the fixed fee portion of the fees you paid, and the amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Stumbled across this by accident on dot com. November is not looking like a good month.

If you refund a payment for good or services, we will retain the fixed fee portion of the fees you paid as the seller.  The buyer’s account will be credited with the full payment amount, we’ll retain the fixed fee portion of the fees you paid, and the amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

Fixed fee portion is the 30 cents paypal charges (plus a percentage). This fixed fee has not been refunded by paypal for a long time. Nothing new.

What I heard of the PayPal plans for the USA side was that the entire fee (fixed+percentage) would not be refunded.  No announcement of any change for Canada.

-..-

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That’s for the US. There hasn’t been an announcement about that for the Canadian site yet.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Not sure why the official email announcement arrived from paypal dot ca would direct you to dot com if it did not apply to both.  As noted previously how the Sale Sales Tax will be handled Nov 1, 2019 and that fees would apply to those taxes in PayPal is not fully/clearly explained in the eBay announcements. 

-Lotz

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, should have been State Sale Tax. As for this being the case on dot com please feel free to explain why this would be a reasonable policy. I can totally understand any uproar caused by implementing this by seeing how it is already affecting sellers on that site.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It would be my understanding that ONLY the 30 cents is a "fixed" fee.

The percentage (2.9% domestic and 3.7% international including USA) is a variable fee-- varying with the amount of the payment and the location of the sender.

I'd like to see that confirmed by either eBay or Paypal, because the US posters are a quirky (that word again) bunch.

Even with that- the refund may not match the original payment given currency fluctuations, but that could favour either the buyer or the seller at any given moment.

tyler@ebay  Can you help?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The most recent update on dot ca only mentions a slight fee increases to currency exchange and 90 day notice for any increases to Business Account Holders. Effective Sept 9, 2019.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

-Lotz

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I’m not sure what you think is quirky as the PayPal  email sent to US sellers states that PayPal will not refund the .30 or the variable portion of fees after a specific date.  

I haven't seen or heard of a similar email being sent to Canadian sellers so far.  We still  won’t receive the .30 back but as of right now, we will receive the percentage portion back from PP if we refund. 

Unique mentioned something about an email leading to PayPal.ca but I’m not sure what he is referring to.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 @ypdc_dennis @pjcdn2005 

I just confirmed with eBay Canada and at this time it only applies to PayPal dot com users. If it does change in the future eBay Canada sellers we would properly be advised and given 3 months notice. Just was extremely surprised when I saw the original discussion on dot com and then checked my messages for the August email which included links bringing me directly to dot com. So in conclusion...Breathe in...Breathe out...Breathe in...Breathe out....Now back to your regularly sponsored programming.  sleeping

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It would be my understanding that ONLY the 30 cents is a "fixed" fee.

The percentage (2.9% domestic and 3.7% international including USA) is a variable fee-- varying with the amount of the payment and the location of the sender.

I'd like to see that confirmed by either eBay or Paypal, because the US posters are a quirky (that word again) bunch.

Even with that- the refund may not match the original payment given currency fluctuations, but that could favour either the buyer or the seller at any given moment.

tyler@ebay  Can you help?

Hi @femmefan1946 - I can't talk to PayPal policy changes as I'm not an expert on them, but I was able to find this on the PayPal site - in the Policy changes section:

• We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

To be clear it does call out that this is for U.S. customers specifically. So at this point there is no announcement impacting anyone else that I'm aware of. But it does look like it's 'fees' not the fixed fee. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Since this is specifically for US customers, it really makes me think that Paypal has decided to ditch eBay clients at about the same time as eBay introduces Managed Payments.

Does anyone sell on the German site, where I understand Managed Payments are also being introduced?  (Noting that Germans have long preferred wire transfers over PP or other online payment processors.)

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The other place this change could be in play down the road is when the state sales tax comes out of the sellers paypal account and then later the transaction was refunded. Either partial or fully.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 12
latest reply