Paying to return. Maybe the new normal for online retailers & B & M

A few things to ponder the next time you are considering a return.

Don’t want that item? Returning it could cost you

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/27/business/online-returns-stores-zara-abercrombie

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/comments/zc48sz/she_returned_an_item_to_amazon_heres_why_she_was/

Fun things to wrap your head around in 2023.So would that turn every return on eBay become NAD? How many out there think there are maybe a few buyers abusing eBay's return policies?

-Lotz

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

...easy, Shoppers are now or very soon will be tracked for "abusive" use of the returns system.

I have made nearly 2000 purchases on eBay in the last few decades and I can count on one hand the number of times I returned something...

The real issue is "abusive" Buyers who scam the system for FREE stuff using the return system or filing false INADs (which I think will be updated in 23)...

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Canadians have a history of easy returns -- going back to Timothy Eaton "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Refunded" in the 19th century.

And taking unwanted purchases back to the store has been the norm ever since.

Some, though not all of my online clothing purchases, have return shipping labels included. I notice that those are usually high quality items that don't need returning, so combined with the company's discount for heavy purchases of labels (usually Canada Post) there would be manageable loss. And the happy customer will return.

On really cheap items, the refund policy tends to be "meh, just keep it, here's your refund". Those are like the Wish items I bought last year. Seven items, five didn't fit (too small/ donated) and after the refund, the two that fit basically fell apart in the wash. But boy were they cheap.

So that's the competition.

EBay sellers are in a different tranche of the economy from either of those.

The best we can do is describe more thoroughly than we even are now.  Again, clothing, because while I don't sell it, I do buy, it amazes me how many sellers still don't put actual measurements in their Descriptions. And even those that do-- well the Chinese measurements can't be trusted at all, the Indian are somewhat better, and almost no one bothers with dress/shirt length.

I keep seeing posts from auto parts sellers whose customers have overly optimistic opinions of their ability to identify what part they need-- and sometime what car they own, it seems. So there is another fraught category.

Possibly the best answer-- hear me out-- is to drop the No Returns option entirely, since an already unhappy customer seems to go to Not As Described when the item is fine but UC has not read and understood the description. 

I am so blessed by selling in categories where my customers not only do read descriptions, but positively enjoy following instructions, particularly the sewing pattern buyers. YMMV.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/online-free-returns-1.6654967

Free online returns cost retailers millions. Now they want you to pay for it

Not paying for online returns has become an industry standard, but it will soon be a thing of the past

More retailers have begun adding surcharges to online returns to help recoup some of the costs, pushing back against the free-returns policy that has become an industry-standard in recent years.

Still others are finding more innovative solutions to help deal with the costs and reduce the environmental impact of shipping returns back to a warehouse.

In Canada, online returns will cost you $7 at Abercrombie & Fitch and $9.90 at Uniqlo, which also doesn't allow online purchases to be returned in-store.

Once Amazon starts charging a return fee, the days of FREE returns will be OVER...

Good thing!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

To my mind, it is a mistake for Uniqlo to refuse online purchases to become store returns. That's a good way to annoy a customer and stop them shopping at either.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

To my mind, it is a mistake for Uniqlo to refuse online purchases to become store returns. That's a good way to annoy a customer and stop them shopping at either.

@femmefan1946 

There could also be the possible issue of returns that are defective, missing parts etc. Makes for a major quagmire. Any seller who has dealt with that type of situation knows what a rocky road that is. We must remember the customer "used to be" always right!! Kilometers per return may vary!!

-Lotz

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Once Amazon starts charging a return fee, the days of FREE returns will be OVER...

Good thing!

But how does that deal with the issue of questionable INAD returns?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

...some "customers" are just not worth having, this will weed out them.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

...easy, Shoppers are now or very soon will be tracked for "abusive" use of the returns system.

I have made nearly 2000 purchases on eBay in the last few decades and I can count on one hand the number of times I returned something...

The real issue is "abusive" Buyers who scam the system for FREE stuff using the return system or filing false INADs (which I think will be updated in 23)...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Major fingers crossed this will happen and eBay is proactive(sooner vs later) in addressing whichever route they choose to go. As of late eBay has been more of a follower vs a leader in revising industry standard practices.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

We do occasionally see buyers complaining that they can't use the Money Back Guarantee and/or sellers reporting that their complaining buyer refuses to use the MBG.

A look at the buyer's feedback often reveals a history of returns, complaints, disputes, etc. leading members responding to such posts to believe the complainant is no longer allowed to use the MBG.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply