Payment dispute…..makes no sense

This Saturday the 18 I received a message from eBay stating that this buyer had made a payment dispute through their credit card provider citing that the item hadn't been received.

I provided EBay with tracking number which proves that this item had been shipped November 9th and had been received Nov 22 ( buyer is in US) and on Dec 18 he/she decided to claim a chargeback.

I am not familiar with this as it has never appended to me before but does it smell fishy?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you have proof of delivery/tracking you should be okay. I had something happen similar to me a few years back when someone got in their credit card statement they didn't recognize my name when they saw it (back then Paypal used my email address - not my eBay user name). When I reached out to the buyer and told them it was me they suddenly "remembered" making the purchase. It could be a matter of them forgetting what they have bought if (like many of us) they've been doing a lot of spending for Christmas. I know this has even happened to me when I get in a much-used credit card statement and see a weird name since some sellers have different names that  are used for credit cards.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You contacted the buyer and explained who you were? 
Should I contact the person and explain who I am and what they bought?

Could you give me an idea how to approach her/him.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Put the information in the Dispute.

But you can repeat the same information in a Message to the buyer which you can do from the original listing (Orders-> All Orders-> Purchse->top left -> Contact Buyer).

Do both. The Dispute is the record for settlement of the dispute. The Message goes directly to the buyer. She sees both, btw.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

You contacted the buyer and explained who you were? 
Should I contact the person and explain who I am and what they bought?

Could you give me an idea how to approach her/him.

Thanks.

I wouldn't.

One thing to understand, when you open a claim via your credit card it's nearly impossible for the cardholder to cancel the claim. It is n ot the same as when a buyer makes a direct claim with eBay, that is something they can easily withdraw at any time if they can be convinced it's legit.

Also note that the claim might be legit and the cardholder is not the person who made the purchase. In that case contacting the defrauded buyer isn't going to get you anywhere.

Just provide the tracking info to eBay in the dispute and wait to see how it plays out.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you enter the tracking number showing delivery you should win the payment dispute.  Even if the credit card company refunds the buyer, you should be covered by eBay seller protection.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293&st=3&p...

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognize the transaction

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognize the transaction, sellers will be asked to provide:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If eBay determines that the item was successfully delivered or picked up:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I see you have already received some awesome advice from other members. In my case I had contacted her through my Purchases, contact buyer, I told her she had bought such-and-such from me and maybe she didn't recognize my name on her credit card bill. She had apologized, said she hadn't realized that it was me and nothing further came of it. This was a few years back, things may have changed but that is what I did in my particular case.

Looks like some others are more knowledgeable (I may have been just plain lucky!?) so please refer to some of the other comments here.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Oops, I mean Sales/orders, contact buyer...I have "purchases" on the brain being Christmas week and all!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply