Paypal Cases

Has anyone had a case  (Unauthorized Transaction) opened against them recently by Paypal for an eBay transaction? Had one opened this morning for a sale processed/paid Dec 17th. Shipped same day and delivered Dec 24th by Expedited in Canada. Case opened Jan 10th. Address in eBay matches the address in Paypal.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Paypal Cases

Me. I wrote a thread about it. I callled PayPal (following the advice I received from other sellers here) and PayPal closed it for me right quickly. Try that. If you have tracking and everything adds up, you can invoke Seller Protection, no?
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Tried to update notes. Would not let me. Phoned and got bounced around then tried the callback thing. Got a return call with a strange number saying it was Paypal. Pressed 1 and they hung up. Will try calling back shortly and take my chances on hold. Does not make sense to me. Just curious to know if this is something that happens/is happening with eBay sellers on a regular basis?

-Lotz

PS. Just called. They closed/returned funds within minutes but told me it may take up to 80 days to fully resolve.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The 80 days is mostly a PYA.

I had an "unauthorized purchase" Paypal case a while back on an untracked item.

I sent a Message to the buyer, explaining what she had purchased (a sewing pattern) and told her to ask at the cafe next door to her house and told her that she lived in a lovely neighbourhood. (Google Maps.)

I don't know if it was the reminder, the neighbour, or learning that I knew where she lived, but she let the complaint lapse.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

yes what you have is called a charge back, where the seller claims they didn't authorize it, usally they forget what they bought when the invoice from their credit card arrives, and a lot of times it is just a buyer abusing the system,,  have your tracking number ready, and call paypal.  use the auto system and say charge back, they will hook you to a service rep.. explain to them you sent the item with tracking, give them your tracking number, and they should be able to close the case in your favor while you are on the line with them..  I have had 3 of these in the last 2 years, and was covered for all of them,  with that being said paypal usually loses to the banks, and the buyer still wins.. but at least it wouldn't come out of your bottom line..

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

We have a lot this year.All items with tracking number and delivered already.People try 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

How can we know what is covered and what is not covered under the paypal seller protection ?

I know someone who sells electronic downloads and he has had about a dozen unauthorized transaction in the last year.  I was just wondering if the seller protection only includes solid goods.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lucky9092 wrote:

How can we know what is covered and what is not covered under the paypal seller protection ?

I know someone who sells electronic downloads and he has had about a dozen unauthorized transaction in the last year.  I was just wondering if the seller protection only includes solid goods.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-faq

The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped. Example: a DVD is eligible but an MP3 file is not.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

We have a lot this year.All items with tracking number and delivered already.People try 

Or.... PayPal in my opinion, could better describe the transaction when it draws funds from your bank account. For example, if I as a buyer pay with a credit card, my VISA statement reads the name of the retailer next to the dollar amount and date.

With PayPal drawing funds from my bank account, it's pages and pages of PayPal $16.26 and PayPal $5.23 and PayPal $13.23 and I have to doublecheck it against the other lists I keep to see what that charge actually went towards. It's annoying and I could easily see how casual but busy buyers would lose tracking of their spending and just throw their hands into the air and call the bank to claim the transactions are unauthorized. Because they long forgot what that payment was after six business days! 

All it says is 'PayPal' and a dollar value and the dates don't even correspond with actual purchases because they take so darn long to clear from your account. Easy to not know what that transaction might have been if you're lackadaisical about your spending like 90 per cent of people that I know. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Add to that currency conversion or sales tax or import fees and it's a recipe for disaster from the online seller's point of view.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks ypdc_dennis

Message 11 of 11
latest reply