Paypal discrepancy

A puzzler this morning.  My Palpal balance shrunk by $2.02 Can. over night.  I deal only in Can. $ and haven't sold anything on .com since last year.  Have not sold anything for a while.  The last transaction was June 10th when I paid my fees.  Since then no activity.  I was about to close my account and leave ebay, when I had some interest in an item, so I thought I'd wait till the listing expires.  Since the last withdrawal was for the fees,  how can the balance change from last night at 9 pm  when I checked. I only realized the difference because I wrote it down.  I have now cleaned out my account to prevent any more shrinkage.  Anyone know how this happened before I call Paypal.  Since it's Can. $ in Can. $ out, something is not right.  No exchange etc.  Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Paypal discrepancy

Do you use paypal to buy things?

Sometimes a merchant will accept an order but not charge your paypal account (perhaps funded by balance) until many days later when it ships.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Paypal discrepancy

I never buy .  I'm only a seller, but thanks for the suggestion.   Last night my balance was $207.04 Can.  This morning it was $205.02 Can.  With no activity since June 10th when I paid my fees, that's not possible.  I have now cleaned out my account, and if I should happen to sell anything from my remaining listings, I will pay the fee, then withdraw the funds.  I will not leave any money in Paypal.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Paypal discrepancy

Are you holding any US currency (or other) in your PayPal account?

The PayPal balance number they show is the total of all the currencies held in the account and of course it can and does change at least once a day based on currency fluctuations.

In my PayPal account I have Canadian Dollars, US Dollars and a small amount of Euro's so the "PayPal Balance" number changes every day even if there is no debit/credit activity.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Paypal discrepancy

One thing I remember from PayPal a while ago was that there are time delays and stuff relating to payments and they don't always show in black and white.

For example, as a buyer if I submit payment then get a refund, depending on how I fund my payment, that refund can be delayed up to a week. This is to ensure payments don't bounce etc. I'm not saying this is your case, but an example of how sometimes it gets odd.

I did have a situation similiar to yours where there was money that was taken out of my account (Bank) but it didn't show up in my Activity. What you can do is search for that currency amount and date in Transaction Finder under Reports (I think that's what it's called) and it will pull up the details for that transaction and all related transactions.

For example, if there was a partial refund or perhaps mailing label charge etc, it will show you the original transaction which you likely will recognize, then all related transactions.

It sometimes is a bit weird as you have to dig down to find this info. If you can't find it call PayPal.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Paypal discrepancy

Thanks to all.  My activities are very basic.  I do not buy labels or anything else.  I sell in Can.  pay fees and withdraw the Can. funds once a month.  I sell so few items, I manually ship over the counter at the PO.  I have never had any issues with Paypal until now, but with sales dwindling to near nothing, I'm probably going to throw in the towel and call it a day.  I'm not going to bother calling Paypal for the paltry $2.00.  But if I should sell anything else while my listings are still running, I'll be vigilant and watch for any more errors.   

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Paypal discrepancy

Does make one wonder how often there are errors/unexplained occurrences  in a Paypal account and how closely they are audited for being correct . Do they get resolved? Considering the number of transactions completed in all the different currencies on that site on a daily basis.

-CM

Message 7 of 7
latest reply