Peace and Goodwill Indeed!!

I thought I had seen, or heard, it all in my 11 years of selling.  But I have just had an exchange of messages with the most obnoxious woman I have ever met .... on or outside of eBay.

She bought a DVD (Dear Frankie) on my other selling account and I sent a note saying it would arrive in approximately 6 to 8 business days, which is far less than the time allowed by eBay for small packets to the U.S and has proven to be sufficient time for packages to arrive.  On the 9th day, I get the nastiest e-mail from her.  "What the he--'s going  on.  I've never waited this long before, and so on.  I maintained my composure and told her that the extra day or two delay was likely due to the busy shipping season, including Black Friday and Cyber Monday purchases.  I didn't ask her to wait ... I sent her a refund.  I just wanted to be done with her.  I did, however, add a final paragraph stating that I was shocked at her rudeness since Canadians (generally) do not speak to each other that way.  I thought it was over.  But, oh no!

This afternoon I received two messages from her, back to back, all in CAPS.  The DVD did arrive on the 10th business day but it was left out on her half-mile driveway and it looks like a vehicle ran over it.  And of course it's my fault for using a cheap packaging material and slow postal service and she had to go to a stationery store and buy a new case, but "you're lucky" she said, that the disc was okay.  She was not going to return it and would leave me terrible feedback.  This message was followed by "NOW E-BAY IS telling me that the item is unpaid .... take your money back because now I look like an a-hole and you're the one with the lousy service. CLEAN UP YOUR ACT!!

The negative is fine ... I was bound to get one sooner or later.  I was hard-pressed to remain civil and professional.  I repeated what she said -- she got a refund, it arrived within eBay's and my time frame and a vehicle ran over it and it's my fault.  I told her if she had not been so nasty, I would have pursued the unpaid item issue with eBay on her behalf.  I told her she should be ashamed of herself for the way she has spoken to me and the way she has handled this transaction ... and, at the end, I made sure I told her she was the most obnoxious person I had ever dealt with.  Like in the movie Network -- "I'm mad as he-- and I'm not going to take it anymore" lol

It's hard for me to tell by the title of the movie she bought whether she's a young person or an older person.  It doesn't matter though .... rude is rude.  I've reached a point where I no longer fret about whether someone will leave negative feedback since there is no pleasing some people.  I don't even check my seller dashboard anymore because any defect I have ever received (not that there have been many) has been unwarranted .... just difficult buyers like the one I've just spoken about, although she has been the worst.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Good for you!!!

Too bad there isn't a cure for nasty people - they will always exist.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Wow i feel for you..and you refunded before the item even past it's expected date..i wouldn't have issued a refund so quickly..but that is me..and yes you and us will meet all kinds, i hoped you blocked this person on both your accounts.. wishing you well, and hopefully it was a one off..

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

What a miserable excuse for a .....

Sigh.

Hindsight is 20/20 but you response to her fickwuttery may not have helped.

It's business not personal.

But geez Louise, someone needs to remove the stick from her pigu.

神圣的睾丸星期二。拿出你的屁股,女人的棒。-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

Wow i feel for you..and you refunded before the item even past it's expected date..i wouldn't have issued a refund so quickly..but that is me..and yes you and us will meet all kinds, i hoped you blocked this person on both your accounts.. wishing you well, and hopefully it was a one off..

I did block her, yes.

Sometimes you get a sense that things could take a turn for the worse ... that's why I refunded right away.  Many buyers are happy to wait an extra couple of days during busy periods after I ask if they could be patient for a little while longer.  Thank goodness 99% of my buyers are wonderful.

I didn't check her feedback until after I got all her messages but I had noticed at the outset that she had over 2000 and I probably assumed she was an experienced eBayer.  She has left a few negatives and neutrals.  One negative caught my eye and I believe this speaks to the type of individual I was dealing with.  She said that a book she received was so dirty that she was afraid she might get AIDS.  (I don't know if I'm allowed to reveal that but I haven't mentioned her User ID).

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

What a miserable excuse for a .....

Sigh.

Hindsight is 20/20 but you response to her fickwuttery may not have helped.

It's business not personal.

But geez Louise, someone needs to remove the stick from her pigu.

神圣的睾丸星期二。拿出你的屁股,女人的棒。-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

LOL  You had me google two words and a phrase.  You've outdone yourself this time!!

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

I had noticed at the outset that she had over 2000 and I probably assumed she was an experienced eBayer.

Any feedback for selling?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

I had noticed at the outset that she had over 2000 and I probably assumed she was an experienced eBayer.

Any feedback for selling?

No ... just as a buyer!

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

I'm still trying to figure out how a seller packages an item to withstand being run over by a truck if it's left by the postman at the end of a mile-long driveway. Like.....? What are you supposed to pack it into? Is it supposed to be sandwhiched between two landmines? 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

On the 9th day, I get the nastiest e-mail from her.  "What the he--'s going  on.  I've never waited this long before, and so on. 

Not that anything excuses shockingly insulting, knee-jerk rudeness, but I'm curious -- was she actually Canadian or American?  If American, delivery expectations are so different in their domestic market that they sometimes forget Canada is another country.  

In any case, it sounds like some sort of mental meltdown at her end.  Hopefully you'll quickly be finished with this nasty customer. 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

What I can't figure out is how the package is left at the end of a half mile-long driveway and it gets driven over by a vehicle. Didn't the Postman deliver it to a mailbox?? 

Leaving the package on the road doesn't make any sense.... 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

She probably ran over it herself.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

On the 9th day, I get the nastiest e-mail from her.  "What the he--'s going  on.  I've never waited this long before, and so on. 

Not that anything excuses shockingly insulting, knee-jerk rudeness, but I'm curious -- was she actually Canadian or American?  If American, delivery expectations are so different in their domestic market that they sometimes forget Canada is another country.  

In any case, it sounds like some sort of mental meltdown at her end.  Hopefully you'll quickly be finished with this nasty customer. 

She's American.  That's why I made the point of saying that, as a Canadian, I was shocked at her rudeness.  She did say that she had bought many items from Canadians and received them very quickly.  What was my problem?

Obviously, she has issues.  The AIDS comment alone speaks to that.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

What I can't figure out is how the package is left at the end of a half mile-long driveway and it gets driven over by a vehicle. Didn't the Postman deliver it to a mailbox?? 

I told her to contact her USPS driver, but it really wouldn't matter what I said.  It's like whistling in the wind!

She hasn't left the negative yet ... she's probably still trying to deal with eBay about the unpaid item issue.  No doubt that will enrage her further.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

In my head, someone was robbing her mailbox and dropped that package.

I find the American habit of putting the mailbox at the end of the driveway weird. Especially since I started looking on Google Maps to see where my customers live*.

I guess it's easier for the carrier.

And it means the homeowner has to get out of the lazyboy once a day or so to empty it, so exercise.

But the chances for theft are amazingly high.

I guess they can't help being foreign.

*I'm a nosy old bat.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

It could have gotten run over at the postal sorting station or customs or...?

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

If it were runover at all. If this customer behaves herself this way everywhere she goes, her postman may have 'helped it into her mailbox' with his fist. Again, I shouldn't think a seller could pack to compensate for that possibility.  

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

....I find the American habit of putting the mailbox at the end of the driveway weird. Especially since I started looking on Google Maps to see where my customers live*.....

Er, may I invite you to tour rural Manitoba with me? I promise you good times, scenic farmland, and many, many mud miles. 

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Are you trying to sell me a ticket to a social?

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

A ticket to a social AND a jar of our world-famous Greetalia Honey Dill Sauce! 

Message 20 of 37
latest reply