Please advise on "out of stock" situation

Dear sellers,

I can not locate one booklet that somebody bought, saw it million times when I did not need it...

What is the proper behavior in such situation?

Do I have to advise the buyer about it first and offer something else instead?

I mean to offer to look through my items and hopefully they will find a replacement.

Or is it proper just to cancel transaction marking the "item out of stock"? 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's proper.

But you get a Defect.

Ugh.

Talk to the customer.

Best wishes.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It's proper.

But you get a Defect.

Ugh.

Talk to the customer.

Best wishes.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So far I have been lucky and I haven't needed this, but as I like to do, I have a pre-written message for just this occasion. Note that XX is likely 2x the price, so if I can't find something worth $10 it is $20. However if it was a $100 item, I'd likely say $125 or something like that.

If they choose the full refund it is the same option you'd have picked anyway and there is a chance they'll pick something else instead which saves the defect.

Anyway use what you like:

=====================================================

Hi! Thank you very much for your purchase!

I humbly apologize because I cannot find the item you have purchased.

I can provide a number of options to resolve this:

-I have a similar item. I can send it instead, with a free bonus to make up for the fact that it won’t be exactly the same as the item you purchased

Or

-if you see any other lots in my store that you are interested in that are valued anywhere up to $XX I can send it instead. (please just advise me of the title and item number you do not need to purchase it)

Or

-if you see an item that is worth more than $XX send me a question about that lot and I will send you an offer reducing the price by $XX which you can accept and then follow the normal payment process

Or

-I can provide a full refund

I apologize again for being unable to provide the item, let me know which option above you prefer when you have a chance. Thank you very much for your understanding and have a great day!!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I had this happen to me for the first time in 18 years of selling.  A buyer bought 2 items.  One item I could not find at all & I don't remember selling it before.  Anyways, I was upfront about it with the buyer.  Apologised & offered a similar replacement or a refund. Thankfully they were really understanding. I did not cancel the transaction by marking out of stock. I just refunded her through PayPal.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I had the same problem you are having now. There were times it took me almost an hour to find a product I  sold. Fortunately for me I always found what I needed but it's forced me to create a number system for my shelves and boxes. I'm making a list on my computer that'll help me find what I need in future and save on time.

For your current problem, see if you can source the item from here on Ebay or another site. If you can source one, even if it costs more. Explain to your customer the situation and what you're planning in order to meet this customer's needs.

If you can't source the same item, I'm afraid you'll have to cancel and take  a defect and possibly a negative review. You could avoid the review if the customer is generous and you explain it nicely but you won't be able to avoid that defect.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

My experience with lost items is that they are where they are supposed to be or where you think they are. They are not seen because I am looking for a certain shape or view and the item is upside down in a box of items or on its side and not the front or top view I have in my minds eye! Walking away and looking for it later usually finds it. I even had someone else look through the box for me and find it.

A couple of times I could not find the item which was a new item and went to the local stores to buy it and ship it at a loss. Eventually I found it weeks later in the box it was supposed to be in and sitting on its side vertically with an extremely narrow profile. Not what view I was looking for!

My daughter was the best at finding things. Even as a young child she would find change on the ground, not one coin but several. Also other items like a pin. When an adult she went to los Vegas and played the slot machines and on her last try on her last night before leaving won a very big prize. Just lucky. She bought herself a beautiful dog with some of the winnings and called it Jackpot, Jack for short.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I perform "song and dance" to the buyer giving numerous options with reasonable financial bonuses.

She politely declined them and advised that she prefers the refund.

In view of all this I felt comfortable to mark a reason for cancellation as "buyer's request" and

processed as such.

Everything went well.

Thank you all for advises!  relieved

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

For 20 years on eBay I have my share of funny stories related to my experiences on eBay and sometimes I even think that I should offer them to a good stand-up comic.

Woman LOL

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
You either have it or you don't.
It's either in stock or it isn't.
Customer doesn't want a sales pitch... Just apologize and cancel the order if you can't fulfill the order.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@rdblock 

I'm glad things turned out okay.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply