Please check my shipping options...

Hello all, I have been away from ebay for more than a few years...could someone please go into one of my listings and see if what I have entered for postage seems correct? I want my items to be available in Canada, USA and International.

Thank you...catsnewwife

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I checked a few of your listings, and could not get a shipping cost for USA.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yes. No problem.

Are you sure you want to ship to Botswana? You don't seem to have any countries Blocked.

You can do that on your Sell Your Item form.

The US shipping is not showing. Probable cause is the known disconnect between the service you chose and the dimensions. Try increasing at least one dimension by a centimetre. (Only use metric, it's in the blue options list. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and everything else is inaccurate.)

Since you invited critiques (not that anything can stop me)

• The day of the 99 cent auction has passed. Unless you are happy to sell for a loonie, don't start your auctions lower than the price you would be content to accept.
  • Remember that 99c Canadian is only about 75cents USD. Most of your customers will be seeing US dollar pricing in Search.
  • I'll go farther and say the day of the auction has passed. Not only are fewer than 80% of listings auctions, but most of those have a Buy It Now price for instant gratification.
  • Look at your listings on a smartphone, preferabley someone else' , to see what more than half of your potential customers see. You may be surprised.
  • Most of your items go Parcel, but if you can offer Flat Rate/Free Shipping on anything, you will find it easier to sell. This works best if the item would ship LetterPost/LightPacket. Otherwise your Calculated Shipping is the best choice.
  • ITEM SPECIFICS - very important for Cassini Search and Google Search. Fill them in as much as possible.

Welcome back. And best wishes.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hi femmefan, it's good to be back (I think!). Thanks for all your input...I knew things had probably changed over the years. For now, I am OK to sell to all countries...

Hmmm, how can I get the US shipping to show? Should I pick the US light packet in the International option?

I learned today that ebay charges final value fee on the item AND postage...so selling at a low price doesn't make sense. Or maybe I already knew that and blocked it out of my mind!

I don't have a smartphone...nor data on my phone...This getting back into ebay is a real experiment!

Truthfully, the stuff I am putting on ebay now is from my sister-in-laws estate...her step son and my hubby are 50/50 beneficiaries...I just want to get rid of it...they want every measly thing sold. So I said I would try...

So good to hear from you!

catsnewwife

now to figure out how to get US shipping to show...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi Maggie, I'm going to go back into my listings and see if I can figure it out...

Thanks...catsnewwife

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Don't use light packet, the maximum thickness is only 2 cm, not likely to work for your listings.  Small Packets US Air  is the right choice, with metric dimensions and weights as femmefan said.  When you go to set up international, first choose US and input the dimensions or cost, THEN choose the other international destinations and input again.

And I agree with the comments "femmefan" made, especially about the starting price.  Now that you have them listed as auctions, you can't change that format, but you can adjust your starting price.  I don't believe the $0.99 or $1.99 starting price works any more to attract people who will bid it up, it only attracts the "bottom feeders".

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hi Maggie, I have revised all my listings...can you get shipping to the USA now?

Thanks...catsnewwife

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I see a shipping cost to the US except for the relish dish.  Expected USA needs to have larger dimensions than expedited within Canada so that could be the problem.  The package needs to be at least 21x14x.5cm. 

The Mickey Mouse is showing as expedited USA as well so it's quite pricey...$21 to California.  Is that what you wanted to put?  If it's under 1 kg you can use small packet or if you must have tracking you can use tracked packet USA.

Use expedited parcel for packages in Canada.  It is slightly less expensive than regular parcel.  Plus, if you use PayPal to print your label you will get a discount for expedited, tracked packet and Xpresspost.  If you have a Canada Post small business number you get a discount if you use their online shipping tool.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Buyers in other countries (UK etc)  may not see your listings if you don't specify a shipping cost and there is no shipping cost showing now on your listings.  You should be able to set up small packet internationall  for those parcels under 2 kg.  It does not have tracking or insurance

Here is a link for CP weights and dimensions.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp#1393860

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I don't have a smartphone...nor data on my phone..

It would be best to ask a friend (or the nearest teenager) to look up your listings.Your own phone (if you had one) is too specific.

These show quite a bit differently on phones.

For example, I found by titles and photos of my books were fine, but I moved edition and grade information from the end of my Description to the top.

And again, Item Specifics are something newish, but quite important.

Tracked Packet USA is usually a bit cheaper than the other tracked services.

Here's another useful site

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You remember about using 90210 as a practice zipcode for checking if your US prices are showing , right?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Good morning, I have put a few more items on as Buy it Now with free shipping. And revised items as suggested. Except I'm not going to take the time to revise from parcel to expedited for Canadian orders (but will use on new listings)...I rarely, if ever, got Canadian buyers.

Thank you ALL for your excellent suggestions...some of this stuff I knew but forgot!

All the best...catsnewwife

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

When you changed your older listings, whatever changes you made have now cancelled international (non-US) shipping info.  There is now a message that says you will ship to these countries but cost cannot be calculated.  I suggest you look again at the shipping choices, and perhaps take a screen shot to post here so we can offer suggestions to assist you.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply