Positive feedback percentage

Hey guys, recently my feedback percentage went down. I wasn't at 100 percent positive feedback to begin with but I am working my way up to the highest percentage possible. I recently got positive feedback and my percentage went up but then the next day it went back down, there was no additional negative feedback to bring it down. Can anyone help explain to me why it's happening?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think it is because the feedback percentage is based on the past twelve months. It is an average of the positive and negative that has been left so if say after a certain date five positive feedback items had gone past the 1 year mark the average they are using (total number of positive versus negative) the average may be higher even though no new negative feedback was left because there was now less positives in the total for the year. The bright side is that this also works in your favour when that negative feedback passes the 12 month mark as it will no longer be included in the percentage at all.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I think it is because the feedback percentage is based on the past twelve months. It is an average of the positive and negative that has been left so if say after a certain date five positive feedback items had gone past the 1 year mark the average they are using (total number of positive versus negative) the average may be higher even though no new negative feedback was left because there was now less positives in the total for the year. The bright side is that this also works in your favour when that negative feedback passes the 12 month mark as it will no longer be included in the percentage at all.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

This will be especially noticeable with a small number of overall feedbacks +/- 1 positive or negative makes a +/- .0033 (a third of a %) difference in the overall feedback...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I do have one negative feedback and I believe it has been over a year. How would I know when it's not included in my percentage and would it be possible for me to gain 100 percent again on positive feedback?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I understand now, thanks! 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you! 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"Thanks for the reply. I do have one negative feedback and I believe it has been over a year. How would I know when it's not included in my percentage and would it be possible for me to gain 100 percent again on positive feedback?"

I took a peak at your feedback and can see it's past the "past 6 months" group but still in the "past year". I think you need it to hit "more than a year ago". I don't know how to tell the exact date unless you have sales records yourself.  I believe that yes, once the year has passed it would return to 100% again (assuming no more negs).

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Looking at your 1 negative feedback, the buyer complained that you cancelled due to a problem with their address. If there was actually a legitimate problem with their address, and you can show eBay proof of it, they might remove the feedback. Especially if you gave the buyer an opportunity to re-purchase the item with a correct address. 

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871

Click the e-mail button at the bottom of the page. Assume the person has seen nothing from the situation and provide them with the full context. Provide clear proof of the issue with the address showing why the feedback was unwarranted. 

You may have trouble getting it removed since it is so old. But it is good to know for the future. 

This is assuming you did not use the 'problem with address' as a way to cancel the transaction for a different reason that was unwarranted on your part, and that there was an actual problem with their address that you can prove.

If you're concerned about your feedback rating, you make some sales for the purpose of building your feedback. I see that you have some sports cards listed. If you have any low value inserts kicking around, list a dozen or two of them at auction with a 1 cent starting bid. It'll take you an hour or two to pack and list everything. You will not make any money since most will sell for under a dollar+shipping. But you will pad your feedback by making sales and gaining positive feedbacks from customers. (Assuming you provide good service with these sales)

Nobody usually looks at feedback if you're in that 97-100 percent range, but your current rating is pretty low. It might be a red flag to buyers, and more importantly some people speculate that feedback/top rated seller status can determine where you end up in the 'Best Match' algorithm. Especially with something like sports cards where there is a lot of competition, a good placement in 'Best Match' can be the difference between a buyer choosing you, or a buyer choosing a person whose listing appeared higher up in the search.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

eBay won't remove a feedback that is more than 6 months old.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

and more importantly some people speculate that feedback/top rated seller status can determine where you end up in the 'Best Match' algorithm.

Top Rated Seller yes. But eBay says it doesn't use feedback to assess member accounts.

Which is only right, since FB is an opinion and because less than 40% of transactions get any FB.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply