Post office has tried redelivery twice but Buyer has not claimed Item

shoetify
Community Member

Hi, I have sold a quite expensive item and shipped the item the same day with expedited shipping and signature confirmation. I have recently checked the tracking and it was confirmed that post office has made 2 delivery attempts. I have contacted the buyer and given him notice that USPS has attempted delivery. However, no response. Is it possible that the buyer may be attempting a scam and will say that the item was never delivered? and if so, what should I do? or Should I just wait and see what happens? Funds are set to be released to me on March 13. Perhaps I should contact USPS to see if the item was delivered thus, meaning there was an error in the scanning process.
Item tracking says
March 5th
Notice Left (No authorized Recipient Available

March 6
Available for Redelivery or Pickup 
post office following a delivery attempt at 6:51 pm on March 5, 2020 and is available for redelivery or pickup.

Any advice or answer is appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Post office has tried redelivery twice but Buyer has not claimed Item

The Money Back Guarantee does not apply when the item is refused, or if it delivery is attempted but not successful.

So any scam based on Item Not Received would fail. (But print out those Messages showing the delivery attempts.)

When an item is not delivered, eventually it should wend its way back to you.

Refused mail is not a priority with any postal system.

I suppose ethically when you do get the item back, you should be refunding the buyer any money left after your shipping costs, eBay fees and Paypal fees.

If you cancel the transaction when you get the item back, you should be refunded your eBay fees and all but the non-refundable 30c Paypal service fee.

However, it might be a good idea to hold on to that refund until you are sure the buyer is still alive. The easiest way to ascertain that is to wait until he (or his executor) contacts you.

When you cancel the transaction, you can relist the item.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply