Problem with eBay calcuated shipping and new Canada Post surcharges

Today I had my first US order since the new Canada Post parcel rates and fuel surcharges came into effect.

I noticed a few problems, I am looking for advice. and perhaps someone at eBay will see this and explain.

1. Before the new rates the Small Packet rate to the US was $7.54 CAD, $7.29 CAD for Canada Post Small Business Account holders. Buyer would be charged $7.54 CAD

2. After the new rates the Small Packet rate to the US is $7.74 CAD, $7.49 CAD for Canada Post Small Business Account holders. Plus in this case a fuel surcharge for Indiana from Alberta of $0.39 CAD. Buyer should be charged $8.13 CAD

The problem is the buyer in this case was only charged $7.74 CAD. Further complicating the matter is that Shippo charged $7.88 CAD which seems correct $7.49+.39. However eBay's label system only wanted to charge $7.49 with no fuel surcharge?

I am left with a dilemma. Do I wait for eBay to fix it? Assuming that eBay would normally account for all shipping charges with the calculated shipping. Do I add an additional handling fee to make up the difference? Do I use the eBay label system which wont tally my CP Small Business Account labels but also doesn't appear to charge the fuel surcharge?

I am open to any advice anyone wishes to give. I would also like to hear from eBay on the subject. Not sure if how many eBay employees frequent this board and the weekly chat just closed? However to me this seems like a major issue as buyers are being under-charged and the difference is being passed to the seller. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

tyler@ebay

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It was brought up in the following thread and Tyler has been asked about it so hopefully he will answer tomorrow.  

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2021-Postal-Rates/m-p/451189#M121117

Shipping calculators fixes are rarely quick (and some are never done) so you might want to add a handling charge to cover the fuel surcharge. I'm sure that it will be fixed but probably not immediately.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Short term: Use the ebay shipping label system since they are giving you a cheaper rate (ebay won't be losing much money since they get a bigger discount from Canada Post than ebay gives sellers).

Longer term: Based on past shipping problems this type of problem will be fixed by ebay in the next few weeks, so you need to figure if it is worth the effort of adjusting all your listings for a month.

The fuel surcharge is a flat percentage set the first Monday of every month.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

Current rate applied on Small Packet USA/Int'l is 5.25% until January 31

-..-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the responses I appreciate the help.
Does anyone know if the "Calculated Shipping" rules for site settings actually work, I have them set and my combined shipping works, but it has a setting for a handling fee which does not seem to work. I really don't want to have to modify all my listings if I don't have too.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Just noticed today that the last label I created was Calculated to be $7.49 in the eBay label system, but my pending invoice for it states $7.88. Sure wish the buyer was charged the right amount so us sellers don't have to shell out the difference! This is becoming problematic.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:
Just noticed today that the last label I created was Calculated to be $7.49 in the eBay label system, but my pending invoice for it states $7.88. Sure wish the buyer was charged the right amount so us sellers don't have to shell out the difference! This is becoming problematic.

Hello tyler@ebay 

Not sure if you are entirely back to normal day to day business but do you have any updates to the  current status of the previously issue that goes back to when the rates were adjusted for small packet service to include a Fuel Surcharge(Jan 12 ,2021). This is/has been costing sellers money in lost fees they cannot recover and should have high priority.

Also as per @silverpinups  there have  been reports of sellers not receiving best offers from buyers or in some cases after they had expired. I believe a ticket was created on this one but no idea where it stands. Unable to confirm if we are missing offers or offers haven't been sent.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This is really a problem. Sold another item last Friday where I had to pay the difference in shipping cost... was not able to ship letter post this time. I added an handling fee to all my listings now, but it took me a long time to do so... time I could have used to list new things.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply