Proof of Concept: New Lightweight Parcel Product

Here's an interesting note that was sent to post offices last week. Seems like Canada Post is working on a new option for sellers to ship lightweight items relatively cheaply within Canada without having to send them Lettermail. Seems to be a very basic parcel service - no tracking or insurance - similar to small packet service to the States.

I know nothing more than what is shown in this image. It says "mid-July" but I haven't heard anything else, nor do I know who this is being offered to at the moment (I would assume high volume commercial sellers perhaps?).

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Proof of Concept: New Lightweight Parcel Product

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But there is obviously a huge difference between what CP and CPO  have as costs, not even including CPO's mandate to cover costs / make a profit, while CP is subsidized.

And there is part of the UPU kerfuffle.

The root issue has been where the UPU classifies a given country's status, as that caps the terminal dues they pay. China has traditionally been paying developing world terminal rates being classified as a transitioning country, which makes no sense in this day and age. I know in the last few years they had talked of changes there but I'm not sure how much that has been addressed in terms of what is actually being paid. The net result for many postal operators, is the losses on that business have to be subsidized elsewhere and the system as a whole gets backed up. You may have seen some of the fallout of that with the delays we have been seeing on west coast of late. That will further manifest itself in upcoming negotiations as the carriers that are paid by route are working long hours of unpaid overtime servicing these packages.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

I see you have a Silver award from school during Pierre Trudeau days these were obtained by students in 1972/1973. If you were fit enough to receive the excellence award a letter from the PM was accompanied with it I have them all.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

this is for reallynicestamps
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

The only thing I got in school was the Queen's Coronation Medallion in 1953. I was in Grade Two.

The badges are DD's, who was able to turn a somersault at nine months of age, although she didn't walk until she was 12 months. She has a Gold one as well.

She did her degree in Kinesiology and now teaches Sexual Health in the public schools.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not good enough.  We still want to have tracking number!!

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Not good enough.  We still want to have tracking number!!

No tracking number for you! says the soup naz....err Canada Post.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply