Providing feedback on the transaction

After my first selling experience, I noticed the FEEDBACK on the transaction only provided 80 characters and you only have a choice between POSITIVE or REPORT BUYER. There is no choice for NEGATIVE feedback and even when you tried to use the 2000 characters for the REPORT BUYER, I could not send anything in.

I am therefore reporting some NEGATIVE FEEDBACK here hoping someone can explain the eBay Feedback mechanisms for improvement. 

1. I was unable to get a reply from the buyer even after 4 days.

2. The name did not match the occupant of the buyers address when I looked it up.

3. The shipping label function did not work. 

4. The linkages to my US VISA card did not work with Pay Pal.

5. The transfer of funds from my Pay Pal account to my US Funds Bank account was difficult and complicated.

6. Mechanisms to reach someone to clarify questions on this transaction was frustrating. The automatic responses did not include answers to the questions I had.

7. When I asked Pay Pal for answers to link my VISA card, they told me to call the Bank.

Basically a lot of the electronic functionality with this selling process did not work at all.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You sold an item.

The buyer paid.

They buyer's name did not match the address.

Umm- I've been married for 53 years and my name does not match my husband's. For that matter, my sister's name does not match that of her children nor of their stepfather. 

The buyer did not respond to your messages.

3. The shipping label did not work.

Were you using the Paypal, the Shippo, or SnapShip service?

Do those services have your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business number on file? Did you have to add it? Are you sure there are not typos?

Personally I detest Shippo, but others swear by it.
The PP service, reached from the PP payments page, will use the customer's payment to buy your shipping label, even if the payment is on the infamous 21 day Hold while you build your reputation here.

SnapShip is a pain because all information has to be entered manually.

The following questions are Paypal not eBay. They are different companies.

4. The linkages to my US VISA card did not work with Pay Pal.

As the Seller, why did you need this for this transaction?

Or is this a separate problem that continues?

Is this a US dollar card on a Canadian bank or an American card on an American bank?

5. The transfer of funds from my Pay Pal account to my US Funds Bank account was difficult and complicated.

Is this an American bank account?

Or is this a Canadian bank account in US funds?

The former goes very smoothly in my experience, but not many sellers have American bank accounts.

The latter is tricksy. I understand PP has to move your US funds to your Canadian dollar bank account, with you paying foreign exchange, and then you can move those loonies to your US dollar bank account, paying foreign exchange.

However, this is not Paypal's choice nor is it eBay's.  It is the US law regarding transfers of money and deals with combatting terrorism.

Enquire at a TD or Royal Bank about opening a TDNorth or RBCBank account.  These are American banks and are available to Canadians relatively easily. They are used by snowbirds and by cross-border sellers.

6. Mechanisms to reach someone to clarify questions on this transaction was frustrating.

Yeah, customer service is pants.

Your first question should always be "Do you know where Canada is? Do you understand that we have a different currency. a different postal service and a different legal system?"  The US based clerks are worst, because the Philippino clerks probably have a cousin in Winnipeg and understand there are many countries on this planet.

Asking questions here is usually more productive, since the members who answer questions have more hands-on experience every day than most of the CS clerks.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Now, feedback.

Buyers don't get negative feedback.

Problem transactions should be handled through the Resolution Centre.

So what was the problem with the buyer?

The former answer was mostly about payment, and the buyer seems to have paid.

The  usual problem sellers have is the Unpaid Item but your buyer paid.

If you have a Problem with the Address, you are allowed to Cancel the transaction.  There will be no Defect on your selling account if you do this.
You can also cancel At Buyer Request, but it doesn't sound as if the buyer was asking for anything.

Basically he paid and you ship to the address in eBay.

So what are you trying to Report the Buyer for?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Feedback is for that particular buyer or seller and it hasn’t been possible to leave negative feedback for a buyer since 2008.  Since most of your problems were caused by the system and system set up, the problems were not caused by the buyer and shouldn’t be in feedback anyway.  

I do agree that there should have been better support through eBay or Paypal for your problems but that isn’t a buyer feedback issue.  I’ve never tried to link a US bank account to a Canadian PayPal account so I have no idea what to suggest there.  For the shipping label...where were you accessing the label from....Ebay.ca, eBay.com, PayPal or ?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply