Provincial Sales Tax now being charged on eBay FEES? (In addition to GST)

Did I miss the memo that said PST/HST is now charged on the total eBay fees? 

Here's a sale from Jan 2, 2023 and one from Jan 8, 2023.

I noticed this while posting as the change thru me out of balance. Was always just GST prior I thought. eBay is calling is "SST" which I'm guessing is an acronym for "Social Services Tax". 

Anyone else aware of this change that appears to have begun after January 2nd?

Thanks!

2023-01-02 Provincial Tax On Fees.JPG2023-01-08 Provincial Tax On Fees.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Howdy eBay,

If this is a new "TAXES QUO"  and not another gliche, Canadian law states taxes have to be shown seperated.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There was another post about this at start of January also. For me in Ontario it is not a change, I have had to pay the 13% HST all along. The HST was brought to Ontario in 2010 (I think) and sadly it's always been 13% here ever since (8% PST and 5% GST).

I know there are different tax rates and rules in different provinces and not sure why it was just added now for you guys,  but you are certainly right that there should have been a heads up if that was the case.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This is the thread that I think @msau4301 is referring to:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/PST-now-being-charged-on-fees-effective-Jan-1-2023/m-p/4...

My hypothesis is that this was originally supposed to kick in July 1st along with the "new" sales tax charges for buyers, but either eBay couldn't make this adjustment in time and was granted an extension by BC, or else it was decided on the BC government's end that to do this in July would make bookkeeping more challenging than if the tax started getting charged at the start of the calendar year.

For whatever reason (see the other thread), eBay hasn't made an official announcement of this change.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Also, seems to be a BC specific thing?

Still only getting charged the 5% GST on fees here in Manitoba - I just double checked on sales I've had in the last 24 hours.

Can anyone from Saskatchewan chime in on what they'r seeing? Not sure how it works in Quebec either, if they're getting charged QST.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I wonder how much money eBay receives for collecting PST as their commission from the provincial governments? Individual retailers retain up to $198 for each reporting period. Many people are unaware that unlike GST, a commission is paid by the government to remitters of the PST. 

(quote from BC Govt)

Commission
"If you are registered for PST and report and pay on time, you are entitled to receive a commission of up to $198 per reporting period. The amount of commission you’re entitled to is calculated on your PST return.

If you have more than one PST account, you may claim commission for only one account. There is no commission available for the collection of MRDT, and it must be reported separately from the PST."

Message 6 of 6
latest reply