Question About USPS First Class International (FCI) Shipping

For USPS shipping it used to be true that when Americans bought an FCI label on line that the service came with delivery confirmation, but when buying at the counter these labels were not stamped upon delivery.

Now it seems to me that all FCI labels have delivery confirmation.  Can anyone here verify that?

It's important because when instructing buyers about return labels it simplifies things if all FCI shipments are treated alike.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @sylviebee - not available everywhere, but USPS offers a service called 'e-DelCon' for a number of countries, Canada included (link here). This means that for First Class International package services that they get an electronic delivery confirmation scan. 

It makes it so much easier for everyone! If you're instructing a buyer to purchase a label make sure that they are using the FCIPackage service (letter mail means all bets are off). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Thank you, yes, that's the service I'm asking about.  

In the past it was only applied to First Class International packages when the label was purchased on line, but now I'm seeing that it seems to apply to all FCI packages even when the label is purchased at the counter, but I'm not sure.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:
... In the past it was only applied to First Class International packages when the label was purchased on line, but now I'm seeing that it seems to apply to all FCI packages even when the label is purchased at the counter, but I'm not sure.

Try asking on the eBay.com boards. Should be more people there with first hand experience.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I would ask on the .com selling board. They should know over there.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I am sure that first class delcon is still only available online.  From the usps link that another poster gave...

Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service is available electronically by using USPS-approved PC Postage vendors, Click-N-Ship, USPS Web Tools, and Global Shipping Software (GSS) or other USPS-approved software.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Yes PJ, that's what I'm talking about, but during the past week or so I've noticed that 2 FCI shipments coming to me from the US have tracking codes which are getting scanned 3 times (accepted / in transit/ delivered) but these labels were bought at the counter.

For one I even have the receipt clearly showing how the label was purchased and it's very clear that the label was not purchased on line.

The shipper think this is a custom's number and the receipt indicates that it's a custom's number, but it's actually a tracking code.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

What are the first 2 letters in the number?

It's possible that something changed but it is also possible that they are scanning the customs number which they used to do but it was never done on a consistent basis.  I had asked about this on the US boards earlier in the week because of an issue on there and no one there seemed to know as they either did all of their labels online, used the gsp, didn't ship internationally or just hadn't purchased a first class int'l label at the po in quite a while. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I've found that very few American sellers, even the busiest among them, know very little about shipping out of the U.S..  

Trust me:  This is a tracking number and I recognized it right away and this isn't the first time.

I'd be very interested in knowing if others are finding that FCI labels bought at the counter are now trackable because it would mean that I don't have to explain this detail to Americans any longer simplifying my job a little.  My experience could be location-specific.  

Here is the receipt and if you check out the "Customs #" you'll see that it can be tracked.  This one is still en route, but the other item I had like this where I knew that the label was purchased at the counter was trackable right to my door.

s-l1600.jpg

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I’m not 100% certain but I think that a ‘true’ usps tracking number would start with LN or LZ so the LA would still be considered just a customs number.  

@recpeddo you know if LA would be considered as a delcon number?

I think that if a customs number is scanned it is trackable but I don’t know if you will get a definitive answer on whether CP will always scan the customs number.  I don’t recall if it looks different on the package than on a regular delcon tracking number.

I do understand what you’re saying though as I also explain to US buyer s with a return to purchase their label online and it is a bit of a pain.  But even if you find that the customs numbers are regularly being scanned you still might want to explain that if the buyer prints their labels at PayPal.com/shipnow it will be slightly cheaper than at the counter as PP charges the usps commercial rate, not the retail rate.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

do you know if LA would be considered as a delcon number?

I don't know!

I had a look in the USPS IMM, (https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/imm/full/imm.pdf) the section on E-USPS DELCON INTL starts on page 89, it doesn't specifically state that it's not available for over the counter retail postage purchase. I can't say with 100% certainty that is used to but clearly somehow that was the widely held belief.

Perhaps things have changed?

252.22 Availability

Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service is available electronically by using
USPS-approved PC Postage vendors, Click-N-Ship,USPS Web Tools, and Global Shipping Software (GSS) or other USPS-approved software.

Maybe it includes labels electronically produced at the retail counter (but not stamps with a handwritten CN22).

Personally I don't care about delivery confirmation on incoming shipments, delivery confirmation does nothing for the recipient, you either get the package or you don't, D/C does nothing other than protect the sender.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

LA prefix is typically used (US side) as a customs number with domestic scans to the point of export. Scans beyond that are not guaranteed and would be outside the norm. LA prefix customs numbers are what you receive when paying at the post office. It has been some years since I mailed anything like that, but for actual e-delcon with guaranteed scans (can still be hit or miss depending on the country), stamps assigns LZ prefix and endicia assigns LJ prefix. I've not found a good breakdown of the UPU S10 standard coding that denotes the differences between those a they get lumped together (LA-LZ) as one class, but they (LJ/LZ prefix) print the same (ie post expres label branding) and function the same (tracking). Commercial e-packet (CEP) is another class that may carry a different prefix, I've not used it myself.

From what I gather features of the LA-LZ class have some flexibility and are not standardized between UPU member countries. Bilateral agreements play a role which is why you see the service available with some countries but not others. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thanks hlm and recped for the information.

I thought that I read somewhere about USPS kiosks. I wasn't clear on whether those were set up at the post office or were in stores, stand alone etc. But I wonder if using one of those would count as electronic shipping and give an LJ or LZ tracking number.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I don't care about delivery confirmation either for a package I ordered but if I have a US return, I do suggest that they use first class and that they buy it online so that they have delivery confirmation.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

I've only ever had two returns from the USA! For those I provided labels to the buyer via pdf/email.

I've had a Stamps.com (free) account for a very long time so it was easy.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

But I'm sure you must have tracked it and are aware that the number does track?  If it's a true custom's number why would they scan it and why would it take like a true tracking number?

Also, I recognized these numbers right away as tracking numbers and not custom's numbers.

The other item I received with a number like this and a label purchased at the counter was tracked right to my door.  Perhaps it's only the LA numbers.

LA120806575US

Anyway, would be interested in knowing if others are finding the same thing and if this is something new or just a fluke with my last two FCI shipments where labels were purchased at the counter.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Tracking numbers that start with LA are new in Canada as far as Tracked Packet USA goes. Maybe this brings into alignment some agreement with USPS whose name appears on any international Tracked Packet postage label printed through Canada Post. I’m thinking it has something to do with reciprocal agreements. It never made sense to me that a Canada Post Tracked Packet label says USPS on it yet no one at my authorized dealer could tell me the reason for it.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
... It never made sense to me that a Canada Post Tracked Packet label says USPS on it yet no one at my authorized dealer could tell me the reason for it.

I believe it's related to copyright/trademark issues.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@momcqueen wrote:
... It never made sense to me that a Canada Post Tracked Packet label says USPS on it yet no one at my authorized dealer could tell me the reason for it.

I believe it's related to copyright/trademark issues.

Really? Now, that's interesting. Someone owns the rights to the word Packet?

Message 20 of 21
latest reply