Question about mailing books from a New Seller on eBay.ca

Hello everyone! I have been selling on eBay.com for the past few months, and have now come back home from the US. I mostly sell books. 

In the US, I used to pack my books in plastic bags, covered with bubble wrap and enclosed in formed Styrofoam, all placed typically in a 14"x11"x8" cardboard box. Typical package weight is not more than 9 lb or 4.1 kgs or so. This would cost me, by USPS Media Mail to any State in the US, not more than US$9 including signature confirmation.

I was prepared for higher shipping rates from Canada Post.. but had no clue they were this high! If I have to send a similar package to, say AB, it would cost me about $20, and it does not even include signature confirmation? Forget about shipping to the US.. it is so prohibitive. I AM looking into services like chit chats express, Stallion Express, etc. These guys surely help bring down the costs a bit, depending on how close and how mobile we are.

I guess this was more a rant than any specific question!   

PS: Thanks to reallynicestamps for letting me know about the ebay.ca community

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I 'used' to sell books on ebay.ca (towertreasurebooks)...for many years actually. But sadly, it's just not worth the time and effort any more. And you're right, the only reason is Canadian shipping costs. It's virtually destroyed book selling on Ebay,ca. So I changed my seller name and moved on to other stuff. I still sell the odd book but only if it's going to sell for at least $50. I'll cover half the shipping cost so that I can get at least someone to show some interest. I know this sounds depressing but it's the reality....GL 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

On very valuable items-- like your cricketing book-- consider using Free Shipping.Which is cheaper ? A $450 book with $49 shipping or a $499.99 book with Free Shipping?

I'd also consider adding India, UK, Australasia, and the Caribbean to your approved destinations for this particular title.

I take it you are aware of how re-shippers work and are comfortable with them?

and the US (excluding Alaska/Hawaii, US Protectorates, APO/FPO),

If you are shipping from Canada, the cost of shipping is pretty much the same for most of these (maybe not Guam) as for the lower 48.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

wrote:

On very valuable items-- like your cricketing book-- consider using Free Shipping.Which is cheaper ? A $450 book with $49 shipping or a $499.99 book with Free Shipping?

I'd also consider adding India, UK, Australasia, and the Caribbean to your approved destinations for this particular title.

I take it you are aware of how re-shippers work and are comfortable with them?

and the US (excluding Alaska/Hawaii, US Protectorates, APO/FPO),

If you are shipping from Canada, the cost of shipping is pretty much the same for most of these (maybe not Guam) as for the lower 48.

All good points. Will definitely give them a thought. I recently moved back to Canada, and wanted to first rack up some experience shipping within Canada, and to the US. But for the Cricketing book, it does make sense to include Australia and the Caribbean too. Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply