Question about selling practices.

Is it allowed by Ebay or at least common practice to sell damaged goods under a "Like New" condition banner?

If you received such products in such a scenario where the seller noted the damage but you missed reading it beyond the "Like New", would you write a negative review?

I'm asking here because most sellers on Ebay have been a buyer at some point and would have a better perspective than someone who only buys on Ebay.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No it's not allowed which is why ebay has the money back guarantee. If your item was described as like new and it was damaged, you can open a return request and using 'item damaged' as a reason. If the seller wants their item back they would have to pay for return shipping.  I would go that route first before leaving feedback.

It is always best to actually read the full description though. Even if the seller is in the wrong, it is still easier to not buy the item at all because of the damage than to buy it and have to return it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Feedback is not considered by eBay in assessing a seller's account.

For that, as noted, you must go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If you decide to Contact the Seller, this is just a suggestion, and all you want from him is a return shipping label and a refund. In fact, you don't even really want the RSL,  since you have a garbage pail and so does he.

Although there is fault on both sides here, him by using "Like New" for a damaged product, you for not reading the whole description, in my opinion, his error was greater but eBay may allow the Dispute to be changed to Buyer Remorse, in which case you will be paying for tracked return shipping.

Even if a seller has a No Returns policy, he is still required to make refunds.

Even if he has a No Returns policy, he is still allowed to demand the return before refunding.

Feedback is voluntary and only about 40% of transactions get any, which is why it is ignored by eBay. Some buyers may read it, perhaps.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you both. I think between the two of you you've answered and advised me.

I don't really want a refund. I paid too little in cash and to be fair, part of not wanting a refund is to learn the lesson to be aware next time.

I'll leave negative reviews and move on.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

How did the seller respond when you first wrote them about the issue(s)?   

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Damaged goods are not "Like New", so the answer is a simple, no.

If the item delivered isn't "Like New", go to the Resolution Centre, select, "I received an item that does not match the seller's description", and follow the directions.

The seller is responsible for the cost of return shipping with tracking.

If you feel inclined to leave feedback, be civil and to the point.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

This is just wrong to leave a negative feedback without contacting the seller first. Give him/her the chance to make things right!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Without at least giving the seller an opportunity in making you whole?  Really?  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply