Re: Address Validation Tool

Only have used a few times but here a  few observations for the new Address Validation Tool:

1. Watch when using the tool that it doesn't do anything to modify the address you want to ship to.  Had 1 recently to an older established address but ebay was unable to locate the applicable state so it defaulted to the next available state/zip code. Note: Unsure if it does anything to modify/confirm phone numbers. Most likely not. 
  2. a)If you happen to be using eBay Labels for any specific requirements when shipping internationally(to a VAT applicable country) you will need to remove any VAT detail specific lines before you are able to confirm the address is correct.
  3. 2(b) If you use Shippo that info purges automatically from the address when you arrive to create your label. You will need to add the VAT tax collected info on the additional customs form provided in notes.
  4. When in doubt about ANY address confirm with Google prior to proceeding. 

-Lotz

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

byto253
Community Member

5. or also message the buyer for confirmation.   A given but thought I would write it out 🙂 

I had a funny one recently - it was for Northern Ireland and the ebay address seemed to have an extra street that the Canada Post auto address did not include.  They buyer said they add that in to help the postman know where to go, but yes, the official address does not have it!  Pretty classic.  Happy to say untracked small packet air service sent Dec. 30 arrived there yesterday, even without the extra street in the address!!! 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yes even using the "make correction" (override) to force the address from the online customs form I want used sometimes the PO make correction won't let it stick.

This is again why I ALWAYS attach to the package the ebay address as well as the PO labels. Oftentimes there are differences, I figure that generally it will be a person looking at it when the small differences matter, but who knows!

I haven't seen an increase in lost packages that I would presume would be from this.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

This is again why I ALWAYS attach to the package the ebay address as well as the PO labels.

I always do the same.  Always verify the result of the verification tool. Just yesterday it has removed very important part of the orignal address (po box number), which I needed to add manually. 

I shipped last month a package to Dubai, with no stret number, and no postal code. I contacted the buyer, and he insisted the address is correct. Well, will see. .... 🙄

I also remember a return from Manhattan. The address was something like that: "a green house with blue door, next to the intersection of (here an important intersection was provided)." Got a return with a label "not a valid postal address".  Happened about 15 years ago. Today, I would not accept such address.  

Concerning the Google verification - I had a customer with TWO returns from a little village in Colorado, he insisted the address is correct, also Google confirmed it's correct, but not the USPS, which returned twice  because of the "insufficient address". 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply