Refunding minus original shipping

bn880
Community Member

Hi, I need to refund a client for the full purchase price of an item, but not for the original shipping.  How to do this in the returns menu when a client requests a return?

When I choose a partial refund, it lists ONLY the item price, does not mention anything at all with respect to shipping.  Does anyone have actual experience with this?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

What happens when you enter an amount that removes your shipping cost?

IE - The purchase had Free Shipping and totalled $140.00 but your shipping cost was $10. You put $130 in the Offer Amount.

Or if the purchase was $140.00 plus a shipping cost of $10. But you put $130 in the Offer Amount.

In both cases the buyer gets a $130 refund on their purchase.

The problem may be that the seller does not keep shipping, it goes to the shipper.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well that's my question, because I don't want to commit to the wrong action, could spell disaster for my seller performance and upset the client.  (may not be able to reverse in the menu once I accept)

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

What if instead of using the Returns Menu that is giving you a "Offer a Partial Refund", you just did it as a simple refund within your order section. Under Order Details drop down menu is "Send Refund". In there you can enter any amount you want. I have used this a few times to refund someone just the shipping amount when they have paid for two items separately. There is even a space there to "Include note", I always say "partial refund for shipping". In your case you could say something like "item refund (no shipping)".

Your order will still reflect the refund coming off.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

"Send Refund". In there you can enter any amount you want. I have used this a few times to refund someone just the shipping amount when they have paid for two items separately. There is even a space there to "Include note", I always say "partial refund for shipping". In your case you could say something like "item refund (no shipping)".

Your order will still reflect the refund coming off.

Clicking "Send Refund" via the "View Item Details" page is my preferred method as well @msau4301 . In addition to a "Reason for Refund" dropdown menu plus that 1000 character "Note" Field, you also get both "Item" and "Order" level checkboxes.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I was told to ask clients to cancel orders if they need to return or cancel, spoke with support like 8 times already due to previous isses.  Otherwise it impacts seller level.

But perhaps you are right, I've often done partial refunds from the selling menu , perhaps should have done this here. (support previously advised to have buyers cancel however they didn't mention this is only available for 1 hour)  So I'm being sent in circles.

Anyway, buyer already requested the return, so now i am stuck with this menu for this 1 transaction.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

On that screen enter the amount that you want to refund in the 'offer amount' box. Whatever you enter is the amount that the buyer can choose to accept or not. If the item was $140 plus shipping and you want to refund only the item amount  then enter $140.  If it was $100 plus $4o shipping then enter $100.  Keep in mind that the buyer can choose to refuse that amount. You won't be able to enter another amount via that method.   

Is the reason for the return a 'not as described' reason?  If it is and they refuse the partial then you can either refund in full without requiring a return. Or, require a return , pay for return shipping and refund in full once the item has been returned.   

If it is a buyers remorse return AND the buyer paid for shipping, you should have the option of refunding in full or just for the item once it has been returned.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

bn880
Community Member

So I made the partial refund offer minus shipping, AND STILL the menu doesn't clarify at all about shipping.  I'm guessing it's not refunded....

2022-09-03_18h17_28.png

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

bn880
Community Member

And the client confirms the confusion:

"Hi bn880, I was just wondering why the partial refund. I do not see the tax and gst on the partial refund. I understand the $25.00 for shipping back.

Can you explained....."

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

There is also an issue with them getting their taxes back, it's also not mentioned.  What a terrible menu!! Who actually designes this stuff, people without UX/UI training?

No, its not about not as described, it's a mutual agreement due to the clients actions.

Now on the line to support for the last ~15 mins trying to unfeck the issue.  This should be simpler and clearer to achieve.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

When you look at the refund in the payment details does it say anything about the taxes?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply