Refunds for lost in mail items

An item destined for NB was sent to B.C. by Canada Post and the status hasn’t changed for almost two weeks now. The buyer isn’t complaining because they know it’s not my fault. I feel really bad though because the buyer has been extremely nice and patient. It’s a small item and honesty I’d just like to give them there money back and let them keep the item if it ever gets delivered. I know in PayPal I can just hit refund. But, can I ask what would be the ‘proper’ procedure so I don’t pay fees and am free and clear if they ever made a claim? I’ve never dealt with a refund or a claim before.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ask the buyer if you can cancel the transaction and explain why.

Then cancel as Buyer Request.

You are not punished for a BR cancellation and you get your eBay fees back.

If the item When the item is delivered, you can if you wish send the buyer a Paypal invoice for it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@ericsells75 

As an FYI mail going east, as of late seems to be falling into a black hole once it reaches Montreal. My last one to just outside of St John's was 26 days with expedited. They arrive...Just at their own pace. In speaking to Canadapost they had no explanations. In the past anything that was miss-sorted also seemed to get a bit higher priority once it was discovered. Now with lack of flights most expedited parcels are moving ground so yours will go back on its merry way most likely again ground. If your customer continues to be patient I would hold off a bit before processing a refund. It should show up...eventually. 

-Lotz

PS. Another observation, from past experience, by opening a lost shipment ticket somehow parcels seem to  magically move again. That can be done on the canadapost website. At the month point you should be able to open a ticket to start a claim for your shipping and any applicable insurance. (Before Covid it was sooner.) Unfortunately something that also has to run its course before you see a cheque.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:
... I know in PayPal I can just hit refund. But, can I ask what would be the ‘proper’ procedure so I don’t pay fees and am free and clear if they ever made a claim?

You and the buyer have to use the ebay system for you to get your ebay fees back.

As of last month (May/20) paypal has stopped returning paypal fees for refunds. Before that, they used to return all but 30 cents.

Data point: Ontario to Nova Scotia, expedited parcel, June 1 to June 17.

I would wait at least another week before doing anything.

-..-

Message 4 of 4
latest reply