Refunds

I had to cancel a purchase today that had already been paid out to my bank. The total was 18.40. I expected ebay to access the refund money direct from my chequing account but it appears that they no longer do that, because now my funds say "-$18.40". I had made another sale that is still processing, and I notice the amount processing for my second payout has gone down an additional $18.40 (on top of fees.)

So instead of taking the payment back from the source, it seems that they are allowing sellers to access a "tab" like system where ebay pays the customer on your behalf and then you pay them back through profits of a future sale?

Is this correct? I am not paying out money on both ends am I? Since I technically got to keep the buyers original payment, correct?

Just checking because I am dumb and cant seem to wrap my head around why they have to make something that could be so simple and straight forward so confusing?

Ebay shows I refunded them but does not point out who sent the initial reimbursement so it almost looks like im paying the buyer back twice!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Refunds

This is the same thing that happens when I've bought eBay labels. Since there is a couple of days delay before they take the funds for the labels purchased the payments have usually already been deposited to the bank.

In the case of the labels it shows a negative balance in the processing funds, then if you have no incoming funds (no new sales) they first send an email saying they will be deducting the amount owing from your bank in the next few days if no new funds come in. Every time I've been lucky because they leave that negative amount in Payment Summar/Payouts for a couple of days and I ended up selling something else so the funds come from the Payout instead of your bank (they wouldn't do both). As rocket has said I also prefer this as there are less bank transactions showing and you can always refer to your Payment Summary recent activity to double check instead of your bank.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Refunds

If it shows negative, I'd recommend manually paying it rather than waiting (unless you get regular sales every day). I let one or two negatives sit, which should have been taken out of the bank account automatically like everything else is, and it never was. Instead, I was fined for a negative balance. I also suspect it may have affected sales, although I can't prove that.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

I personally don't really understand what you mean. When you refund, it's took from your eBay funds. If you have none, it will be shown as negative and your next gains will reimburse what you own. If you have no gains, at some point they'll take it from your bank account. This is way better like this as it avoid useless bank account transactions. You don't pay twice, it's just that eBay funds are used first. And the system back you up for a time if have no funds.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

I was fined for a negative balance.

Do you have a source prooving that?  Pretty sure eBay do not charge fees for negative balance. They take the amount back in your bank account if not covered by sales. With managed payments we authorised them to do that. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I was fined for a negative balance.

Do you have a source prooving that?  Pretty sure eBay do not charge fees for negative balance. They take the amount back in your bank account if not covered by sales. With managed payments we authorised them to do that. 

I posted part of the statement a while ago showing it. They're cryptic in what they call it, but it aligned exactly with when I saw the negative balances not be drawn from my bank (I think it was just the eBay labels shipping that wasn't. Monthly store fees and everything else was taken from the accounts as expected. And yes, there were plenty of funds in the bank account).

This was the thread here:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Charge-for-Accrued-Selling-Costs/m-p/494259#M145453

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

This is the same thing that happens when I've bought eBay labels. Since there is a couple of days delay before they take the funds for the labels purchased the payments have usually already been deposited to the bank.

In the case of the labels it shows a negative balance in the processing funds, then if you have no incoming funds (no new sales) they first send an email saying they will be deducting the amount owing from your bank in the next few days if no new funds come in. Every time I've been lucky because they leave that negative amount in Payment Summar/Payouts for a couple of days and I ended up selling something else so the funds come from the Payout instead of your bank (they wouldn't do both). As rocket has said I also prefer this as there are less bank transactions showing and you can always refer to your Payment Summary recent activity to double check instead of your bank.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

I really don't think that was an extra charge or else we would have been seeing tons of complaints about that. But I admit that I don't know for sure. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I really don't think that was an extra charge or else we would have been seeing tons of complaints about that. But I admit that I don't know for sure. 

I'll have to try and remember to ask next month in the monthly chat / Q&A.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

Accrued selling cost sounds like something that could be related to selling fees such a insertion fees, subtitles, bold title, auction reserve, and fees for stuff like that. I really think it's not because of eBay funds being negative, it would not make sense (unless it's a glitch), the negative funds is just like a pre-authorised payment. But i'm not sure either what the charge exactly means. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Refunds

Sorry Im a bit late coming back. This made perfect sense to me.. you worded it perfect and it cleared up all my confusion!! I can relax now!!

THANKS!! 😃
Message 10 of 10
latest reply