Regarding DHL Asking for Authorization to Deliver Without Signature for Xpresspost to Germany

I've received two messages via text messaging during the last day which seem to be from DHL Express.  I ignored the first one but now I'm not sure.

The message states that it's from DHL Express via eBay and is asking for authorization to deliver a package without a signature and allowing me until 6AM to respond.  That doesn't even allow time to call the PO for authorization.  

I did ship to Germany via Xpresspost which is a signature required shipping method recently but the tracking number is not the same and mine shows as delivered.

Were this not during a time when the pandemic is messing with signature required shipments I would just ignore the text,  but as it is I'm not quite sure if I should continue to ignore the messages.

Can anyone here offer any guidance?  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Regarding DHL Asking for Authorization to Deliver Without Signature for Xpresspost to Germany

I'm inclined to say that the pandemic has made many shippers reluctant to put their workers in a position where they are in close contact with the public.

Which means they are not collecting signatures.

Remember the main purpose of tracking is to stop false claims of non-delivery and the Signature requirement is part of that relating to high value packages.
In other words, it's not a problem-- until it is.

tyler@ebay   What is the current position of eBay on Signature Required shipments that do not get Signatures at this time?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@who*s-sylvia wrote:

I've received two messages via text messaging during the last day which seem to be from DHL Express.  I ignored the first one but now I'm not sure.

I did ship to Germany via Xpresspost which is a signature required shipping method recently but the tracking number is not the same and mine shows as delivered.

As a SeIler: If the tracking number does not match any of your shipments and all your shipments have been delivered, then it is quite possible that it is a scam.

As a Buyer: Do you have anything that you purchased that might be delivered via DHL?

-..-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

More than likely a scam. If you replied, they most likely would send you a link that would attempt to infect you or possibly ask for passwords/details you shouldn't give out or they would attempt to scam you by calling you.

DHL is one of the companies that gets allot of fake scam calls. There is one going around recently targeted at Chinese speaking residents telling them a package has arrived and action is needed.

You don't have any incoming shipments do you? 

The other thing you can do as always is call DHL, they have a fairly sophisticated system and would be able to tell you if there is any package inbound etc where you would have been notified.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

DHL = Deutsche Post, both owned and operated jointly.

DHL probably handle incoming International packages that require a signature. Like almost all postal services these days, things like signature service are not being done on a regular basis to reduce contact with delivery workers and recipients.

I wouldn't be so sure that this is some sort of scam

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I'm inclined to say that the pandemic has made many shippers reluctant to put their workers in a position where they are in close contact with the public.

Which means they are not collecting signatures.

Remember the main purpose of tracking is to stop false claims of non-delivery and the Signature requirement is part of that relating to high value packages.
In other words, it's not a problem-- until it is.

tyler@ebay   What is the current position of eBay on Signature Required shipments that do not get Signatures at this time?

Hi @reallynicestamps - the official position is that in order to receive protection from Item not Received requests you must add the service as it is required ($750 and above), even if shippers aren't collecting physical signatures. An attempted or actual delivery scan will still be uploaded and count towards your protection. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I was suspicious of a scam because this seems like the type of question to be asking the shipper and not the buyer.

Since when does a buyer get asked about a preference for shipping details of this sort?  That's a seller thing.

I decided to just send a message saying:  Yes, please deliver, because I'm not sure how my iPhone could be hacked by providing a simple response like that.

As I looked my purchases over I found an item that is being shipped from Germany and it could have been about that package.

Does anyone know how they're dealing with taxes and duty, or if they're just giving everything a pass for now.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@who*s-sylvia wrote:

...  Since when does a buyer get asked about a preference for shipping details of this sort?  That's a seller thing.

As I looked my purchases over I found an item that is being shipped from Germany and it could have been about that package.

Does anyone know how they're dealing with taxes and duty, or if they're just giving everything a pass for now.

Can be a Buyer thing.

Basically you are giving the delivery company permission to sign on your behalf. I've had FedEX "sign" for some of my pre-cleared shipments.

They'll find a way to collect duty/taxes.

-..-

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

We are still required to pay duty (if any) on any item valued over $20Cdn (~$15US).

Even if duty is not applicable*, we still pay sales taxes (GST/HST/PST/QST) on the value.

And the shipper can charge a service fee. This is $9.95 for Canada Post and can be $25 or more for private couriers like UPS or FedEx.

The carrier usually demands this at the door, before handing over the shipment.

Confusion comes in when the shipping is done postally, because CBSA has decided it is silly to assess cheap items (under $100 usually) for duty (and Sales Tax) when it would cost the taxpayer more to assess and possibly find nothing to collect, than to ignore those shipments.

Private couriers don't have that luxury. CBSA would be on them like white on rice.

While our duty free allowance rises in July to $140, sales tax will still be payable on imports valued over $60.

There will be posts about that in three... two.... one.....

*Canada has a newish Free Trade Agreement with the European Union, but duty-free allowances are based on where the import is manufactured, not where is was bought.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Just got one of these texts.  With the sheer number of misdeliveries I get I want photographic proof of delivery if no one is home.  On another site I require it and sure enough whenever I do not get a package that shows "delivered" the photo shows a door other than mine.  Sometimes my immediate neighbor, sometimes four doors down where the person has the same last name, other times who knows?  I am unwilling to just take the driver's word for it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply