Return Shipping - Buyer jumped the gun!

I sold a Christmas decoration.  Buyer received the decoration and was upset that the prop in the background used to hang said item on was not included (now this was very obvious both from the second picture of the item alone and the description).  Anyway the buyer filed on ebay to return it as it was 'not as described'.

I agreed to the return after politely explaining that the listing was very clear as to what the item was.  I also offered the option of a partial refund if buyer wanted to keep item.  Buyer declined and wanted to return. Buyer asked me to send a shipping label and I said that was not possible as I am in Canada and they are in the US.  Buyer says she'll figure things out and let me know.  Later today she sends me a scan of a USPS shipping receipt for $20.

To sum it up.  The item cost $10, her original shipping cost was $7 (total $17).  She ended up paying  $20 JUST for return mailing and sent me the receipt, obviously expecting me to pay for this!  There was no discussion at all of what, if anything, I was willing to pay for return shipping she just went ahead and paid an exhorbitant price to ship it back. Please let me know how you would proceed on this.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Return Shipping - Buyer jumped the gun!

And again, if the buyer had returned it via Fedex overnight for $100+ I do not see how the seller could possibly on the hood for that either...

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Re: Return Shipping - Buyer jumped the gun!

@velvetfinch wrote:

And again, if the buyer had returned it via Fedex overnight for $100+ I do not see how the seller could possibly on the hood for that either...

You bring up an interesting point.  (I don't think that eBay would expect sellers to pay for overnight shipping though.)

I've wondered if eBay would expect sellers to pay for other up-graded methods as well.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply