'Returns' rate in new Dashboard

Why do I see 'Returns' broken down in the new Dashboard? It says there are two for me which isn't actually true. I had two buyers open Return requests in December for reasons of remorse, and then fail to send anything back so I called Customer Service and had the cases closed. 

Are 'Returns' held against sellers in some way? As I said, the cases were closed by ebay because neither buyer followed through on their request to return their item. 

Why does it say there are two when they were, in the end, none?

Does anyone have insight to share on this? This Returns section wasn't part of the Dashboard preview. 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I have the same thing, I have had 3 opened return cases and the issue was resolved without anything being returned in all 3 cases...

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Another metric possibly being set up for the spring updates. What is there is totally incorrect as are most things Ebay implements lately.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

We are judged on Cases Closed Without Seller Resolution, right? 

This data box does not show that, of which I also have none. 

The way things look now, it appears as if I have a percentage problem with Returns. I don't. Not for SNAD or otherwise. It's not a meaningful metric for me. Its very presence offends me. 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Unless this is being held against me because, as the seller, I had to call and have the cases escalated to close them after weeks passed with no return? At least one of the two also appeared at the time as a SNAD in the old resolution centre despite it not being one. I raised it with Raphael at Board Hour and he said it was a mis-file by the old Resolution process and not to worry.

For sellers seeing this now, how did your case(s) close? With actual returns? Refunds? Did you (or the buyer) have to escalate? My two were 'ordered by mistake' and 'found a better price' but, like I said, nothing came back. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

My 3

1 - I explained what the buyer got, they came to understand they got what they bought and the case expired = no return

2 - Buyer went crazy on me, calmed down by the next day (when I saw the feedbacks) apologized for the emails, feedbacks etc and because there was still a problem with the material, I provided a partial refund = case closed by buyer I believe

3 - I don't remember what happened with that one, don't think the package came back

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

If you read the US boards, they are getting dinged for cases with no resolution for refunds given though Paypal with no case being opened.

Ebay just has no clue anymore.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Those return numbers aren't affecting us now although I'm sure there is a reason that they are there...perhaps for the future.

I have 3 showing and only 1 was a real return. One of the returns was closed within a few minutes because she meant to open the return for another seller's item. Another buyer did open a return but didn't ever return the item.

For those who aren't sure which transactions eBay is referring to...

go to your dashboard

click on see all returns link in the 'returns' area

On the far right under the returns bar, click on closed returns and replacements

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Let me try that again.....

I'd like to re-iterate that I was the party who escalated the case (to close it) after both buyers failed to meet their end of the return request. I accept that ebay encourages buyers to ask to make a Return for any reason under the sun but I do not accept that by including this metric in my Dashboard, it implies that I, as the seller, am the member who did wrong by the other, the buyer. Not the case. Each buyer received exactly what they ordered, and then decided on second-thought (or for whatever reason) to keep their item. No refunds were issued, partial or otherwise.

No one who has ever read one of my listings could possibly accuse me of being stingy with Item Specific or Terms of Sale details.

A Return Request for reasons of mistake or remorse is simply that. It has nothing whatsoever to do with me as a seller. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 12.57.50 PM.jpg

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I've been simmering about that for a couple of days.

I have one which was closed. The reason was remorse, as the buyer didn't read the item description.

Now I have a defect?

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

What's next?... Mystery shoppers?
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

It doesn't appear to be linked to defects. The only 'defects' we know about are those for Late Shipments and Cases Closed Without Seller Resolution. However, I am highly suspicious about this due to the fact that it appeared without warning unlike the preview on the new dashboard which was displayed for months, and also it's physical appearance on the page. Returns is made to look like a defect metric. 

Adding insult to injury, I believe, are the You Watched This Item, How About This One Instead emails that ebay sends to unwitting buyers, leading them to impulsively purchase something similar to what they might have been watching from a different seller. That leads buyers to purchase items they haven't actually looked at from sellers who have no idea what the buyer is expecting. 

I recently had a fellow who bought a bundle of action figures thinking they were stuffed animals, and it was based on an ebay suggestion from title of an item he could only watched from another seller. I have no plush for sale, never did.

p.s. I'd love to serve a Mystery Shopper. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Wait, let me correct myself:

Late Shipments

Cases Closed Without Seller Resolution* and 

Orders Cancelled

Those are the things we get Defects for doing.

*A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.

Let us not forget, however, that if the Buyer opens a Returns request and then decides NOT to send it back, it is the SELLER who has to ESCALATE the case to close it. These seller-initiated escalation had better not be counted as a problematic metric, that is all I have left to say about it. 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

I think it is more of an informational thing at this point. I can't imagine being able to implement this as a seller defect issue (outside of return cases closed without seller resolution), given the wildly varying return rates depending on category.

In any case it is not implemented correctly at the moment as it includes cases where ebay has cancelled the return in the sellers favor (ie for buyer physically altered items). You would think new features would be documented and explained before they are launched. The other day I had a few instances where a new version of the listing form was showing intermittently. I would have expected the devs would have a sandbox to be testing changes rather than the on the fly approach that would appear to be happening.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Precisely my point.

This is causing sellers unnecessary aggravation.

If it looks like a defect metric and smells like a defect metric, how could it be anything but one? 

While we all know it cannot possible be a defect metric, it has been shoddily launched, whatever its purpose. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

I'm going to lean slightly towards my glass is half full disposition and hope it is tied to presenting sellers with more useful information about their sales. I find the information useful and would like to see information better integrated into a true dashboard with proper analytics, ie days of inventory, inventory by aging, etc. At any rate, something for everyone to quiz Raphael about.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

I second that motion. 

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

....by including this metric in my Dashboard, it implies that I, as the seller, am the member who did wrong by the other, the buyer.

I don't think that it implies that at all. Returns are often buyers remorse returns and no one has ever said that it the fault of the seller.

No one who has ever read one of my listings could possibly accuse me of being stingy with Item Specific or Terms of Sale details.

There's no way that I could disagree with that! Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Let us not forget, however, that if the Buyer opens a Returns request and then decides NOT to send it back, it is the SELLER who has to ESCALATE the case to close it.

A return case automatically closes on its own after about 30 days if there is no tracking number entered. You do not have to escalate to close it.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Mine didn't. I waited.
Message 20 of 34
latest reply