Returns

So, as I try to learn different parts of the eBay system this week I am looking at returns. 

I have read here and there that offering returns can increase sales. True?

So how do they work? I know in my listing I can simply check the box to allow returns but what is the nitty gritty? I print my labels using Shippo and I have seen on domestic shipments I can print a return label. Is it as simple as checking that box and including it in the shipment? For international shipments that box isn't available to select so what do I do for them?

What happens financially for a return? If they use the label I pay for it? Does it cost me anything to just include the label? Do I get my fees back from eBay/Paypal? What happens if they return a different item? Or damage the item and return? What percentage of items do you estimate get returned? 

What else do I need to know? I'm the type who like to explore every nook and cranny of an issue/option before implementing so hit me with that ebayer knowledge 🙂

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Returns

@ericsells75 wrote:

So, as I try to learn different parts of the eBay system this week I am looking at returns. 

I have read here and there that offering returns can increase sales. True?

It can be true, personally I'm hesitant to buy anything, anywhere and especially online from a seller who does not offer returns. While I know on eBay I can force a return, I'm not enthusiastic about sellers who don't stand behind what they sell.

So how do they work? I know in my listing I can simply check the box to allow returns but what is the nitty gritty? I print my labels using Shippo and I have seen on domestic shipments I can print a return label. Is it as simple as checking that box and including it in the shipment? For international shipments that box isn't available to select so what do I do for them?

You tick the box to accept returns, if a buyer wants to do a return they will open a return request. At that time you can accept the return and eBay will either issue a label or tell you to provide a return label (for a not as described claim), if it is buyer remorse return (buyer changed their mind) then it depends on what your return policy is (free returns or buyer pays return shipping), if the buyer pays it's up to them to arrange for return shipping, if it's seller pays then you need to provide a label.

What happens financially for a return? If they use the label I pay for it? Does it cost me anything to just include the label? Do I get my fees back from eBay/Paypal? What happens if they return a different item? Or damage the item and return? What percentage of items do you estimate get returned? 

Depends on your policy and type of return, Not As Describe the seller always pays, Remorse returns depend on your policy (see previous answer). In most cases your eBay fees will be refunded after the return has been processed and the buyer refunded. If a buyer returns a different item or a damaged item you will be in a difficult situation, wile this can happen it's not the normal thing and often results from a seller making the return difficult for the buyer.

The level of returns varies from seller to seller and is highly dependent on the type of items you sell, some seem to attract the worst buyers and the most outright scammers. Specking for myself, 21 years on eBay, more than 50,000 transactions I can count on ONE hand all the returns I've had other than the ones that resulted 100% from an error on my part or from legitimate damaged in transit claims (and very few of those).

What else do I need to know? I'm the type who like to explore every nook and cranny of an issue/option before implementing so hit me with that ebayer knowledge 🙂

You need to know that selling with a no return policy will NOT eliminate returns, buyers can return a purchase regardless of your policies if they claim that there is any type of "not as described" situation, if there isn't a legit reason they can just make one up and force you to accept the return.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Returns

offering returns can increase sales. True?

Not exactly, but refusing returns makes for unfriendly Terms of Sale and many customers will not bid if they feel uncomfortable.

I can print a return label.

All disputes are few and far between. Most eBayers report less than one percent of transactions have problems, although newbies attract scammers and some high value categories are also relatively high fraud.

If your customer opens a Dispute, you can always demand return before refund, even if your policy is No Returns.

(But No Returns does NOT mean No Refunds.)

You only use the label if there is a dispute and you want the item back.  Until then don't worry about it.

Shippo has the nice option of printing USPS shipping labels. Since most of our sales will be to the US, that is handy. 

But it is something to be aware of but not to worry about.

If they use the label I pay for it?

Yes.

Does it cost me anything to just include the label?

There is no point in doing this and it encourages impulse returns.

Do I get my fees back from eBay/Paypal?

Yes.

If you cooperate with a Dispute, your selling fees are returned, but not your PP /MP fees nor your listing fees (if any).

What happens if they return a different item? Or damage the item and return?

Then you have to deal with customer service.  The "different item" is very unusual. The damaged item more common.

What percentage of items do you estimate get returned?

Less than one percent of transactions are Disputed.

If the seller works the system well, even fewer purchases get returned, because some small percentage are scams trying to get the item for free or a partial refund/discount. They don't want to return, they want to keep it. Demanding a return and supplying the label ends the dispute. And eventually you get the cost of the label back.

Most Disputes are disagreements between adults and can be dealt with calmly and professionally.

The customer mis-read the description. The seller packaged inadequately. The seller was optimistic in grading or the buyer has unusually high standards.  The colour of the sweater is cherry red and the customer's monitor showed it as scarlet.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply