SELLERS: DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR SHIP-TO EXCLUSIONS!

So there I was, admiring a new listing that I had just sent live and suddenly (poof) I notice that all my ship-to excluded countries are vanished. I now ship this item to Nigeria and literally everywhere the world including places I cannot find on a map or pronounce.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 6.27.10 PM.png

Heart pounding, I wonder: how could this happen? When did it happen? I go to revise the listing and, sure enough, no exclusions:

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 6.29.06 PM.png

What the heck? I check another llve listing and everything is fine. Is this because of the one-page selling form? Have I been listing items for almost three weeks without exclusions? Maybe. Here is what is excluded from the old listings. This is my list of countries that I will ship to. How can I fix this fast? Oh, right. Account settings --> Create Exclusions --> Apply to all live listings. Phew.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 6.29.49 PM.png

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The moral of the story is CHECK YOUR SHIPPING EXCLUSIONS. Right now. Go to your most recent new listing and check to make sure you are shipping where you want to be shipping ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USING THE NEW SELL PAGE. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Or is the moral of the story that I am a dumb-**bleep**?

I used for the First Time Ever the Sell One Yourself on someone else's listing to prefill the Product Catalogue data (also for the first time ever I found Product Catalogue match that wasn't 50 per cent incorrect) and, sure enough, when I went back right now to check that listing, they ship Worldwide without exclusions. 

Is that part of the carried over information from Sell One Like This? Shipping destinations? 

It seems like a person could find themselves in some hot water for that. 

I now know not to use this. 

Yikes. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

And now I find myself wondering: is there any danger in offering Worldwide Shipping without exclusions if you ship only with tracking? 

I have mine set to Worldwide but limited in reality to only the countries served via Tracked Packet. But using Calculated Shipping with Canada Post, I have also enabled Air Parcel and Xpresspost. If I ship a set of board books to Nigeria via Air Parcel (not that I expect it to be likely) what could go wrong with tracking? Customs delays? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The new page its real pain...even if you check was giving my items with free shipping even they are not.Its more work then before

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I tried to re-create this automatic Worldwide Shipping from Sell One Like This today, using a Canadian listing where the original seller offers Worldwide shipping while I, of course, do not. And when I went to do it, my exclusions stayed put where they were supposed to be. So maybe I wasn't cracked last night, this may have been a bona fide glitch and not just me being dumb about how not to use Sell One Yourself. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Canada post does not have tracked services or insurance available to some really risky countries. I believe Nigeria falls into that category.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I used for the First Time Ever the Sell One Yourself on someone else's listing to prefill the Product Catalogue data [...] and, sure enough, when I went back right now to check that listing, they ship Worldwide without exclusions. 

Is that part of the carried over information from Sell One Like This? Shipping destinations?  

I think it would make sense that the "Sell One Yourself" feature would pick up the embedded shipping data from the original listing.  If it's the correct catalogue data you're after, can't you pick that up and add it manually after you've used one of your own listings with "Sell Similar"?  I don't quite understand why you would use someone else's listing for that purpose alone, given other potential embedded errors or issues that could crop up that you might not be aware of in another seller's listing. 

I mostly use Auctiva to upload my listings, and since they are very "clean" and well-integrated with eBay, I rarely encounter these sorts of issues, so I'm guessing that it's the underlying programming that is at fault in what you've encountered.  I also don't need catalogue or UPC numbers for my items (at least not yet), so I haven't had to rely on anybody else's listings to get them. 

EBay has never seemed able to make its shipping tools fully and reliably predictable.  Every once in a while I still notice "Russian Federation" pops up as an included destination on my relists for example, even though Russian Federation is on my exclusion list.  And every so often my exclusion list seems to disappear and I have to go back to my Preferences and reset all my live listings.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It was the first time I had ever found a listing with Item Specifics that I could use listed in CAD on ebay.ca. Literally, the first time. I thought for that reason alone I would try it since I had never used that method to create a new listing before. It did not occur to me until I saw I was shipping Worldwide without exception that it might pic-up that data but now I know.

Unless I don't.

When I tried to re-create that worldwide shipping without exceptions from another Sell One Yourself from someone who had that Worldwide shipping default on their listing, it didn't pick up. That leads me to wonder which was the bug: that it did the first time or that it did not the second time.

What happens when I try a third time?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If I try to do it a third time, like the second, my own exclusions still apply. It doesn't pick-up the same ship-to locations that the first buyer used. Same with a fourth time. All my own shipping exclusions apply and it has nothing to do with the original listing, product catalogue or not. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
.... EBay has never seemed able to make its shipping tools fully and reliably predictable.  Every once in a while I still notice "Russian Federation" pops up as an included destination on my relists for example, even though Russian Federation is on my exclusion list.  And every so often my exclusion list seems to disappear and I have to go back to my Preferences and reset all my live listings.  

I remember that bug with Russian Federation but I don't get it anymore now that i set my ship-to locations as Worldwide with Exclusions from Europe, North America and elsewhere with exclusions. What I do get randomly changed on my listings is this:

23-Jan-1617:14:02 EST

Payment Method
Picture URL: Pictures Added/Deleted

I know not what that means other than that it may be a by-product of something else I am doing. I don't change pictures as a general rule. I get this every couple of months, showing up at what seems to me to be random intervals. The listing I pulled this from shows it twice at least in the past year. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what it means? Or what ebay does that triggers it? 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply