SSN/ITIN issue

I am an American selling a few items from Canada.  I haven't sold on Ebay in a few years.  When I try to list, I get a page with

"Provide details to get paid
Government regulations require these details so we can send you payments. We need this info so we can verify your identity."

I typed in my SSN and Birthday but get a "Something went wrong. Please try again later." error every time.  Clicking "Skip until an item sells" calls up the same error.  Is there some way to contact IT support directly to get this cleared up?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

SSN/ITIN issue

Are you listing on dotCA? Do you live in Canada?

If you live in the USA, you should be signing up there and probably you will get better advice on how to sign on for Managed Payments on dotCOM.

If you live in Canada you will be signing up on dotCA (here).

You are NOT required to give your Social Insurance Number (although you can give it voluntarily) and your American SSN will just confuse things.

You can sign up on dotCA with a Canadian address, your driver's license or passport (oh dear*), and a chequing account with a Canadian bank.

Your account can be in USD or loonies.

Once signed up, you can list on any eBay site, anywhere in the world.

*You would have a US passport though so I hope you can drive.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

SSN/ITIN issue

The Canadian sign up form does ask for a Social Insurance number (vs a SSN)  but it is optional to give it out.  But since you mentioned a SSN..I'm assuming that you are trying to sign up on .com?  Since your registration shows as Canada, you might have to sign up on this site and use a Canadian bank account.  On .ca you have the option of choosing to use a $C bank account or a $US bank account in a Canadian bank. 

If you do want to register on the US site and use a US bank you might have to change your registration first.

Apparently if you do go to the Managed Payment information page, you can scroll to the bottom and should see a 'call back' option.  Hopefully it will be someone who deals with MP that will phone you back. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

SSN/ITIN issue

They still won't pay you unless you give it but they say it's not monitory.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

SSN/ITIN issue

If by "it" you mean the Social Insurance Number, we Canadians can substitute a passport or driver's license. I used my passport.

If you mean the SSN that Americans have, it is mandatory on dotCOM and cannot be used on dotCA.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply