Sale taxes questions

Hi!

I just downloaded all my PayPal transactions for my eBay sales and have a few questions regarding sale taxes.

I do not charge sale taxes - they are "included in my prices" and I try to stay competitive.

If I sell something for 100$ in Ontario - do I owe 13$ in taxes or is it ok to assume the taxes are included in my prices i.e. 100 - 100/1.13 = ~11,50$ and sale price for my income tax report would then be ~88,50$.

Does PayPal fees include taxes GST/HST that I should ask for a reimbursement?

What about Canada Post labels purchased through PayPal? Do these include taxes?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Sale taxes questions

First of all - are you registered for GST/HST? If you are not you can not collect GST/HST. 

If you are registered for GST/HST, the formula to calculate HST in Ontario on a tax included in price item would be "price times 13 divided by 113". For a Province that does not have an HST( BC for example) the formula would be "price time 5 divided by 105".

The "friendly" folks at CRA will try to answer most questions about GST/HST . 

On just about any purchase you have made in Canada you will have paid GST or HST. The seller should have given you a receipt showing the amount of tax paid ( unless it was included in the price) and their GST/HST number. This would include Canada Post.

Collection and remittance of GST/HST is completely separate from Income Tax, but your sales total for income tax would be for the price sold less GST/HST, remembering that sales outside Canada are what is called "zero rated" - there is no GST/HST.

You should try look up postings from Pierre Lebel, a retired stamp dealer and former accountant who has posted a lot about GST/HST and Income Tax.

Do not try to "mess around" with the GST/HST folks. If you comply you will have the occasional audit but if you do not comply they can come down on you like a ton of bricks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

No eBay does not charge tax on any type of fees.  If they did you would see them on each invoice.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sale taxes questions

First of all - are you registered for GST/HST? If you are not you can not collect GST/HST. 

If you are registered for GST/HST, the formula to calculate HST in Ontario on a tax included in price item would be "price times 13 divided by 113". For a Province that does not have an HST( BC for example) the formula would be "price time 5 divided by 105".

The "friendly" folks at CRA will try to answer most questions about GST/HST . 

On just about any purchase you have made in Canada you will have paid GST or HST. The seller should have given you a receipt showing the amount of tax paid ( unless it was included in the price) and their GST/HST number. This would include Canada Post.

Collection and remittance of GST/HST is completely separate from Income Tax, but your sales total for income tax would be for the price sold less GST/HST, remembering that sales outside Canada are what is called "zero rated" - there is no GST/HST.

You should try look up postings from Pierre Lebel, a retired stamp dealer and former accountant who has posted a lot about GST/HST and Income Tax.

Do not try to "mess around" with the GST/HST folks. If you comply you will have the occasional audit but if you do not comply they can come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

@vip-marketplace wrote:
What about Canada Post labels purchased through PayPal? Do these include taxes?

Taxes are included in paypal labels for Canadian shipments -- and are indicated in the calculations when the purchase is made. However, the paypal summary only shows the total paid, not the details.

@vip-marketplace wrote:
Does PayPal fees include taxes GST/HST that I should ask for a reimbursement?

Paypal does not charge GST/HST on fees.

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

The email that you should teceive when you have printed a label through PayPal will show the taxes charged by CP

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

Thanks guys! 🙂

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

One more thing - does eBay fees include any taxes I should ask to be refunded?

Final value fees?

Anchor subscription fees?

Thanks! 🙂

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions

No eBay does not charge tax on any type of fees.  If they did you would see them on each invoice.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sale taxes questions