Sales Tax in Canada

fedcor10
Community Member

I have created a bunch of listings and realized after I sold a couple of items that I am not charging anyone tax - I have to pay tax when I get the product from my warehouse..... So, I set up the tax table and it says to go add other details and options or something like that but when I revise my item I cannot see this option anywhere. The only thing I can think of is that my listings were not done as advanced? Never heard of this before but does it mean I'm stuck? or is there another way to charge tax? I will update to include that taxes will be added to the sale but would hate to have to start over again..... Hoping someone can help me..

Thanks, in advance

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Sales Tax in Canada

You CANNOT charge tax (GST/HST/PST) on your sales, regardless of the fact you have paid the tax at time of purchase. 

Only vendors registered with GST/SGT are allowed to collect and remit the tax.  To collect and pocket the tax is illegal in Canada.

Unless you are GST/HST registered, you should remove any tax collection from your listings.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sales Tax in Canada

" I have to pay tax when I get the product from my warehouse..... "

If you were GST/HST registered with the government, all the tax you paid at time of purchase would be refunded as Input Tax Credits (ITCs).

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Sales Tax in Canada

Yes I am a registered business with a GST#. I guess I should've made that clear but if I can claim with my tax submission, then that's fine - thank you

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sales Tax in Canada

Yes, I have a tax#. I have no intention of pocketing anyone's tax money and am aware that it is illegal - Thanks
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sales Tax in Canada

OK - Since you are GST/HST registered, It is quite acceptable to collect and remit the tax. 

Your comment in your original post about paying tax on your purchases was confusing since registered sellers, as you know, get it all back.

I suggest you clearly indicate in all your listings that GST/HST will be collected from Canadian buyers. Your listings are currently silent on the subject.  We have seen many sellers receiving negative feedback from buyers when taxes were charged unexpectedly.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply