Sales tax charged but no guarantee that goes to a government?

Normally a web site will specify a GST or PST number when they charge you a sales tax. On eBay, although I randomly pay a sales tax, if a tax number is not listed how can I be sure that the seller is not pocketing the extra payment as profit? I don't mind paying the sales tax however when I live in one Province and the seller resides in another Province, why am I being charges Quebec Sales tax and if so how do I know it is going to the government. If sales taxes are being charged it is my belief that the seller needs a registered tax number, and if they do, is eBay considering forcing that number to be in the post when tax is charged?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Sales tax charged but no guarantee that goes to a government?

The rules as they relate to GST/HST are presented and regulated by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

The rules as they relate to PST are presented and regulated by each province.

It is also  important to know ... and understand .... that Quebec is unique with respect to GST/HST and PST.... The rules for Quebec are only important if you live in Quebec

eBay has nothing to do with GST/HST or PST... Each seller is responsible   and must follow the rules and regulations as they relate to GST/HST regulated by CRA, and each province with respect to PST.

If you have many questions  do read the information provided by CRA  and then your specific province as it relates to PST.... Read... read...and read more.... If you are confused call CRA or your province

CRA has very specific rules with respect to invoicing....   It has been a while  since I visited the CRA website.....  and things might have changed....  Invoicing and the inclusion of a business number  may depend on the amount being invoiced

I kept on reading  on the CRA website until I learned what I had to do specifically with respect to GST/HST...

---------------------------------------------------------

I sell books with a point of sale rebate  in relation to the provincial component of HST.

GST/HST differs whether one ships using lettermail  as opposed to parcels within Canada.

and more......

---------------------------------------------------------

Unique   aspects ......

It was quite recent that I had learned that a book seller can charge the full amount for HST  .... It is then the buyer that can ask for a rebate of the provincial amount of HST when HST is paid on books.

As a seller in Manitoba  I only have to charge PST  if I sell more than $10,000 in value for items where PST should be charged...

It is GST only  to all destinations in Canada if lettermail is used as a mailing option.  There are a few other situations such as this lettemail option

-----------------------------------------------------------

It is the seller  who is responsible for dealing with CRA with respect to collecting and remitting GST/HST

----------------------------------------------------------

Of note....

If you buy from a seller that collects GST/HST,  and you plan to resell......  you can ask a seller for a business number  in order that the GST/HST paid   can become a part of your Input Tax credit (ITC)

such as buying from a Canadian seller and then selling to a US buyer where no GST/HST is collected.

------------------------------------------------------------

If a seller collects GST/ HST... and you have questions.... contact the seller..

and if the seller is not totally forthcoming contact CRA

The business number is not something that should be hidden...

Message 2 of 2
latest reply