Sales tax information in listing description

Hi all,

I’m not a new seller to ebay but i am newly registered for GST/HST in canada and PST in various provinces

My question is not about collecting sales tax but what we need to show in our ebay listing description about the sales tax that will be collected at checkout. I vaguely remember reading somwhere a while back that we had to post the tax table we’re using for Canada in the description so that buyers can know exactly what they’re going to be charged at checkout. I also vaguely remember reading that we had to have our GST and PST numbers displayed in the listing as well. I couldnt seem to find where I read this before but what I did find on the tax section of ebays website is a line that states “tax information may not be shown in the description” which made me think **bleep**.

Can anyone offer my any guidance on what the government and/or ebay wants us to display in the description for sales tax purposes?

Thanks so much!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Your tax number show on your invoices -- not in your listings.

Are you using the Advanced/Business form for listings?  The simplified form is garbage.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you have the tax table properly set up ebay will show the tax details in your listings under the Shipping and payments tab

This help page has a section on setting up a Canadian sales tax table:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section2

-..-

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thanks to both replies. I have the number on my invoices and all the other invoice requirements and the tax table is set up. Not sure if its “proper” and not too sure about which listing form i’m using. I will look into that. Thanks
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@kenny_69_69_69 wrote:
.... I have the number on my invoices and all the other invoice requirements and the tax table is set up. Not sure if its “proper” ...

Looked at the 2 listings you currently have up and the tax table pops up and looks accurate under the Shipping tab (when Seller charges sales tax in multiple provinces is clicked).

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Denis thanks for checking. I was also curious about canadian laws or ebay policies concerning displaying GST and PST numbers in the listing as i’ve seen some sellers do it and some not.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Do you see tax numbers on price stickers  in shops? Or displayed on a banner over the register?

The number is only required to be on the invoice/register tape.

That some sellers put it in their descriptions is not illegal, just pointless.

Buyers are told by eBay that they will be paying the appropriate sales taxes before paying.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Why are you collecting 12% for BC? I assume GST 5% + PST 7%. The listing says location in Saskatoon. If you are GST registered you do not collect PST in BC unless you are also registered to collect BC PST. Just curious. My understanding of GST HST and PST.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@kenny_69_69_69 

As richardcm mentioned, you should only be charging GST in BC and in all non HST provinces other than the one that you reside in. 

I can't remember if Quebec is an exception to that??

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I am registered and charge BC and MB sales tax as well as SK because I sell to customers in those provinces. Unlike QC there is no small supplier exemption for BC and the small supplier exemption for MB is 10k per year, which i am well over. Thanks all for your help!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Not according to BC and MB government websites. MB has small supplier exemption under 10k annual sales and BC has no such exemption.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Might be worth checking if that is 10K per province or 10K per seller.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply