Seller Limits after a long absence - a pain and a blocker?

I used to sell frequently and have several hundred positive sales/experiences/feedback etc. Everything seemed to be ok with my account. However, I have not sold anything in a few years. I'd like to come back to selling, but I'm saddled with a 3 item, 200 dollar a month limit. I mostly sell things that cost more than that and frankly I don't relish the thought of an auction being capped at a certain price. 

This seems like a blocker to having sellers come back to the platform? Is there any way to get past this other than selling cheap stuff for a while? It's kinda stupid. When I try the "request a limit increase" button it always just says "Unfortunately, you're not currently eligible for a selling limit increase."  To be honest it's just making me contemplate alternative ways of selling at this point.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

That certainly is a pain to have such low selling limits when you clearly have a history here but it would not be a "blocker to have sellers come back". I would imagine they always want sellers new and old, it's the sellers that make the money to charge the fees! I think since it's been a few years as you say it doesn't necessarily recognized the difference between new sellers and old. You say you tried the "request a limit increase button" but I think it (electronic version) would not be able to see your history. I think you need to actually speak to someone in customer service who can physically look at your feedback (other information is long gone), and see your long history, great feedback and maybe change the limits for you.

3 items or $200 seems very low. When I started way back I don't remember limits being too low but I do remember having to wait a few weeks to access funds. If you haven't sold for a while are you set up with Managed Payments? I think it's mandatory now but not certain. There have been so many changes over the past few years (hey, even the past few months!) so part of the current set up may be to allow sellers to get a feel/understand the newer way?!?

I would hope that if you speak to the right person, and assuming you are set up with the new Managed Payments system, you can hopefully get your limits increased, or at least the time you have to wait be decreased. Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you - yeah I did recently sell one item (which is why I'm complaining because I want to sell more now!), and got set up with Managed Payments. It did have the delayed fund release thing in place too. I guess I need to try and contact a real person to get this limit increased.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I mostly sell things that cost more than that and frankly I don't relish the thought of an auction being capped at a certain price.

No worries. One of the few advantages of auctions (I hate auctions) is that only the starting bid is subject to the value restriction.

So you can open a $100 and sell at $1000 with no cap on the selling price or on further auctions.

This seems like a blocker to having sellers come back to the platform?

Well sorta.

There are so many changes constantly, that what we old hands think we know is no longer in force.

So we have a few months of learning time.

Do you have a Managed Payments account registered for example?

EBay can't transfer your buyer's payments to your bank unless you do.

When I try the "request a limit increase" button

You can do this every 30 days but not earlier or more often.

And do it through the social media accounts (another change) those eBay employees have authority.

For the first month, you're stuck.

The one bright light is that the switch to MP may allow eBay to stop the scammers who hijack unused accounts. Maybe. With luck.

PS

I need to try and contact a real person to get this limit increased.'

The "real" people are on Chat not the phones which are manned by employees of a sub-contractor

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.get to the Automated Assistant, type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply